Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 03:12 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,905,541 times

Advertisements

Seacove, You are not quoting posts correctly. Something is happening that the Quote wraparound text is dropping off of the comments you're quoting.

You quoted my comment above and it has your name in it lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 03:23 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,730,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Seacove, You are not quoting posts correctly. Something is happening that the Quote wraparound text is dropping off of the comments you're quoting.

So...that's weird. I'm going to try to edit out the quote and requote it. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2015, 03:28 PM

Note: According to this map, the Columbia Basin includes all or parts of eight states (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and California) and two provinces (British Columbia and Alberta).[/quote]

The Columbia River Basin is very different than the Pacific Northwest. Look at that one map - it has a bit of Wyoming too? Come on, that's just ridiculous. Now Cheyenne is going to pipe in and say they are part of the Pacific Northwest too? Let's have some standards here.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Alaska?

the only 'REASONABLE' USA state that 'touches' the Pacific Ocean (if we want to narrow our brains to think that 'Pacific' means touching our toes in the "ocean" that shares that name.)

Disclaimer... Alaska does not have to be 'reasonable' today 31 Aug 2015. They have been taken over by USA Aliens from DC (eastern seaboard ) for one day this decade who are there for a climate change 'photo-op' / not to be associated with a 'diplomatic' mission with 'reason'... the only reason is the 'photo op' and to gain more Air Force One lifetime Mileage (paid for by YOU.. congrats!).

Old 08-31-2015, 03:32 PM

btw: we would welcome WY anytime in the PNW (and some do!)!... but they are too reasonable to accept! (Fortunately for them!).

Sorry... cannot accept Cheyenne... they drain to the GULF so they are 'SE USA!' and they have the 'politicians' so are of no 'reasonable' value to PNW.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post

Scary isn't it! That is what happens during school break (6 yr olds (and public school 'geography' teachers) posting on C-D). We should be safe by Tuesday!

Old 08-31-2015, 03:36 PM

8,073 posts, read 8,380,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
And yet no connection to the Pacific ocean whatsoever in the state of Idaho. None. Northwest, but not Pacific Northwest as you yourself stated.
I believe "The Northwest" is simply a foreshortening of "The Pacific Northwest". It can be confused with the Northwest Territory (U.S.) and the Northwest Territories (Can.), which is probably why "Pacific" was added. As I stated earlier, I don't know how far back the PNW term goes.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
btw: we would welcome WY anytime in the PNW (and some do!)!... but they are too reasonable to accept! (Fortunately for them!).

Sorry... cannot accept Cheyenne... they drain to the GULF so they are 'SE USA!' and they have the 'politicians' so are of no 'reasonable' value to PNW.
Why do you keep adding politics to this? Perhaps you should go to the POC forum?

Old 08-31-2015, 03:56 PM

8,073 posts, read 8,380,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Quote:
Note: According to this map, the Columbia Basin includes all or parts of eight states (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and California) and two provinces (British Columbia and Alberta).
The Columbia River Basin is very different than the Pacific Northwest. Look at that one map - it has a bit of Wyoming too? Come on, that's just ridiculous. Now Cheyenne is going to pipe in and say they are part of the Pacific Northwest too? Let's have some standards here.
I said "parts", but could have further elaborated by saying "parts and smidgens".

The terms "Columbia District", "Oregon Country", and "Oregon Territory" (generic, see Wilkes map), and possibly "Pacific Northwest" as well, were in use long prior to the formation of any of the states or provinces named. I would agree that Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, California, and Alberta are not "Northwestern" states or provinces. Idaho is, geographically, regardless of how much it might be aligned culturally with Utah and Wyoming.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I said "parts", but could have further elaborated by saying "parts and smidgens".

The terms "Columbia District", "Oregon Country", and "Oregon Territory" (generic, see Wilkes map), and possibly "Pacific Northwest" as well, were in use long prior to the formation of any of the states or provinces named. I would agree that Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, California, and Alberta are not "Northwestern" states or provinces. Idaho is, however.
I can see Idaho as Northwestern. Just not "Pacific" Northwestern.

Just one of those annoyances like slow walkers, "mute" instead of moot and the overuse of "per se".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington