Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:02 PM

102,285 posts, read 108,372,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Perhaps we should impose an income tax! Then you can have lower licensing fees.
I'm not advocating a state income tax. But if higher DL fees help restore the lost level of subsidies to the STATE FERRY SYSTEM, then I'm for it. I'm not for it if I have to pay a stiff fee for DL renewal AND pay $30 every time I want to take my car on a ferry.

(Something really needs to be done about that car-tab issue. grr grr)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 03:46 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,040,913 times
That actually doesn't seem to bad. It is more than that in lots of places i have lived. and again..throw that expense into the bucket of income tax money you aren't having to pay. You probably come out ahead.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,092,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
it's $45 for 5 years and $54 for 6 years.

WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Driver licensing fees
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
Yes but then tack on the $35.00 application fee and it bumps to $89.00. I agree it's insanity.
Insanity? Really? A $35 application fee pretty much just covers the cost of creating the record. Many utilities charges more than that to set up an account, it costs more than that to apply to many colleges, banks charge up to $10/month if you don't maintain a minimum balance, and even credit cards charge you an annual fee.

$54 for 6 years is less than $1/month, or about 3 cents/day. Seems quite fair to me.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:59 AM

603 posts, read 935,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Insanity? Really? A $35 application fee pretty much just covers the cost of creating the record. Many utilities charges more than that to set up an account, it costs more than that to apply to many colleges, banks charge up to $10/month if you don't maintain a minimum balance, and even credit cards charge you an annual fee.

$54 for 6 years is less than $1/month, or about 3 cents/day. Seems quite fair to me.
Compared to other states, it seems kind of pricey. Texas, which also doesn't have a state income tax, charges $25 for a six year driver's license. I've had a license in four different states and have never heard of an application fee before.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:20 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,283,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But if higher DL fees help restore the lost level of subsidies to the STATE FERRY SYSTEM, then I'm for it. I'm not for it if I have to pay a stiff fee for DL renewal AND pay $30 every time I want to take my car on a ferry.

(Something really needs to be done about that car-tab issue. grr grr)
Well, considering the extremely low percentage of Washingtonians that routinely use that antiquated money pit that is the ferry system, I think few people would agree with you here.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:34 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,092,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Compared to other states, it seems kind of pricey. Texas, which also doesn't have a state income tax, charges $25 for a six year driver's license. I've had a license in four different states and have never heard of an application fee before.
It's tough to compare states. Texas gets tax revenue from oil production. Washington gets tax revenue from growing apples. I suspect there is a lot more money for the state in oil.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,160,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Well, considering the extremely low percentage of Washingtonians that routinely use that antiquated money pit that is the ferry system, I think few people would agree with you here.
This gets to the crux of my core concern.

This trend of "If I do not use it I should not pay for it."

It is my strong opinion this nations strength was build on social collectivisms. Matter of fact ALL great society's throughout human history existed because of collectivism.

Might as well just disolve the United States then.. .Might as well dissolve states too. We can just have regional warlords, like in Afganistan.

That's what happens when one does not want to participate in anything but what directly bennifits them.

Living on the Olimpic Peninsula I rather appreciate and value the ferry system. But have no use for any infrastructure spending in eastern Washington..

However I am not suggesting we cut you off though. Because together we are stronger and more dynamic.

This is the basis of all civalized societies... Yes?

Now we can complain about political squandering of our collective resource indeed! But to not support the concept of supporting each other. ?.

If I were to use your line of thought on the ferries, to my comment on income tax, then yes I support having an income tax and no property tax. ( I make very little, but own highly taxed land.) Yep that would be self serving..

But no in reality, our rotten government would just pad their pockets, and the pocket's of their corporate buddies.
So yes, the comment was sarcastic.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,261,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Wisconsin is $34 for an eight year.

If there is no state income tax in WA the state has to generate funds somehow. We are looking forward to no state income tax but expecting to pay more in user fees. It just seems logical.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:37 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,283,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
This gets to the crux of my core concern.

This trend of "If I do not use it I should not pay for it."

It is my strong opinion this nations strength was build on social collectivisms. Matter of fact ALL great society's throughout human history existed because of collectivism.

Might as well just disolve the United States then.. .Might as well dissolve states too. We can just have regional warlords, like in Afganistan.

That's what happens when one does not want to participate in anything but what directly bennifits them.

Living on the Olimpic Peninsula I rather appreciate and value the ferry system. But have no use for any infrastructure spending in eastern Washington..

However I am not suggesting we cut you off though. Because together we are stronger and more dynamic.

This is the basis of all civalized societies... Yes?

Now we can complain about political squandering of our collective resource indeed! But to not support the concept of supporting each other. ?.

If I were to use your line of thought on the ferries, to my comment on income tax, then yes I support having an income tax and no property tax. ( I make very little, but own highly taxed land.) Yep that would be self serving..

But no in reality, our rotten government would just pad their pockets, and the pocket's of their corporate buddies.
So yes, the comment was sarcastic.
Well, good to hear that your income tax comment was sarcastic.

The rest of your post is liberalism in a nutshell. Support for government spending on every little pet project that results in waste and tax increases.

And, BTW, a poster named "509" has posted many citations on this forum backing-up the fact that Eastern Washington does not rely on Western Washington for support. I've never seen anything that proves that the ferry system is self-supporting. So that analogy is apples to oranges.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:18 PM

5,642 posts, read 25,000,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
... I've never seen anything that proves that the ferry system is self-supporting. So that analogy is apples to oranges.
A 2010 report says 'WSF received an average of $3.49 per passenger in taxpayer subsidies'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: