Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:24 PM

18 posts, read 166,078 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at this area for a while- Blaine, Ferndale, Pt. Roberts etc as a potentially cheap, rural place to live that isn't too far from a metro area (Vancouver). I wonder from any of you who live there, how feasible/energy-draining is it to take a day trip or do an errand in Vancouver? The distance isn't far, about 35 miles, but it seems like it's a 50 min+ trip not including traffic, even if you have NEXUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:52 PM

726 posts, read 1,372,536 times
The border crossing is not simple every time. Sometimes you get lucky. Other times you don't. I wouldn't want to count on it.

What do you need a metro area for? Bellingham has a lot of shopping and some culture.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:30 PM

68 posts, read 148,569 times
I saw the title of this and thought, "is it?", but then thought solidly, no its not. The border proves to be just enough of a prospect of a hassle that trips for me are infrequent. A good show in town and going to Whistler have been the only trips to Vancouver since I moved here a year and a half ago. I'd like to see more, but I'm not in any rush. I do like the city. It has a rather un-city-ish feel to the most urban parts but exudes an enjoyable weirdness. Its an urban island like Manhattan in a way; you live there or visit infrequently if you're outside of the metro area. Bellingham and North Whatcom couldn't ever really be perceived as a burb of the Couve for that reason. I wouldn't even say Point Roberts would be a burb in that respect, only Vancouver's mailbox.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:25 AM

125 posts, read 260,613 times
From Bellingham you can take Amtrak to Vancouver, I used to do that a couple of times a month. I think it's a much better option than driving. Once you're there, a Skytrain station is adjacent to Pacific Central Station.

The train trip is beautiful, the train goes along the water for a lot of the trip and you get beautiful views. Same is true going south from Bellingham, it's a gorgeous trip, right at the water's edge and looking right out into the islands, lots of eagles and other birds.

You'd be better off in Bellingham than further north, in my opinion. Then you have the option to go to Seattle too. It's one of the great things about Bellingham, being between two major metropolitan areas.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail-to-Rail View Post
From Bellingham you can take Amtrak to Vancouver, I used to do that a couple of times a month. I think it's a much better option than driving. Once you're there, a Skytrain station is adjacent to Pacific Central Station.

The train trip is beautiful, the train goes along the water for a lot of the trip and you get beautiful views. Same is true going south from Bellingham, it's a gorgeous trip, right at the water's edge and looking right out into the islands, lots of eagles and other birds.

You'd be better off in Bellingham than further north, in my opinion. Then you have the option to go to Seattle too. It's one of the great things about Bellingham, being between two major metropolitan areas.
Do you need a passport to ride the train? What is customs like when you get off?

Old 05-31-2014, 07:52 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,539,059 times
A Nexus card can make it feel like a suburb, or taking a bike or walking to the nearest bus stop to the city center, without that, no suburban feeling at all.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:59 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,539,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Śebb View Post
I've been looking at this area for a while- Blaine, Ferndale, Pt. Roberts etc as a potentially cheap, rural place to live that isn't too far from a metro area (Vancouver). I wonder from any of you who live there, how feasible/energy-draining is it to take a day trip or do an errand in Vancouver? The distance isn't far, about 35 miles, but it seems like it's a 50 min+ trip not including traffic, even if you have NEXUS.
Point Roberts is usually 1/2 an hour, Blaine 45 min, with no traffic and minimal border waits, from Downtown itself, it takes about 15 to get out of Vancouver itself.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:05 PM

18 posts, read 166,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaja111 View Post
I saw the title of this and thought, "is it?", but then thought solidly, no its not. The border proves to be just enough of a prospect of a hassle that trips for me are infrequent. A good show in town and going to Whistler have been the only trips to Vancouver since I moved here a year and a half ago. I'd like to see more, but I'm not in any rush. I do like the city. It has a rather un-city-ish feel to the most urban parts but exudes an enjoyable weirdness. Its an urban island like Manhattan in a way; you live there or visit infrequently if you're outside of the metro area. Bellingham and North Whatcom couldn't ever really be perceived as a burb of the Couve for that reason. I wouldn't even say Point Roberts would be a burb in that respect, only Vancouver's mailbox.
I spent another weekend up there and I think I agree with you. Pt. Roberts, sorta, but not Blaine. The real killer is 99 north of Richmond but south of Downtown- lights every couple hundred feet, NO left turn lanes (wtf is up with that?) and huge backups. Massey isn't that great either. Combine those two with the border and you feel like you've been on a voyage, not a 'drive into town.'

As much as I want to love Vancouver I really can't say it's objectively that much more interesting than Seattle. The downtown is really kinda decrepit and aging in a lot of places, you never really 'feel' like you're in a city. It's also consistently colder than Seattle. It is a lot more international and there's a lot more attractive people around, but it also seems a bit more conservative and conformist than our weird friends in Seattle and Portland. The high condos are visually stunning (I stay in a friend's penthouse downtown, with unreal views), but that really isn't a reason to live somewhere.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:23 PM

68 posts, read 148,569 times
Plus, that "voyage" can turn into a real s%$#show when there's an accident or some other nonsense backing traffic up. Vancouver begs to be visited by helicopter when coming from out of town, but I'm certainly in no tax bracket to use a helicopter. I could also see it being a bit smoother coming in from the north side, taking 15 to 1 and then getting off near Hastings St? I've never tried it.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 PM

I like Victoria more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington