Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,447 times

Advertisements

We moved to Everett, WA about 7 months ago from Southern CA and looking to buy our first home. Long story short...We have always had our girls in area/schools that were accepting/inviting regardless of having two moms and have always attended schools with high academic standards. We are considering Marysville, Wa and will attempt to get them into a co-op school as the students test well and we love the idea of parents being more involved with their school. Not to mention the housing prices are pretty low.
So here are the questions/concerns
1-Are there some same-sex couples in Marysville raising children? How do you feel? Is the environment good for your kids?
2-We drove around and we noticed that some areas were much better than others (just like all/most cites). Any neighborhoods that you would suggest?
3-We are also considering Arlington and Lake Stevens. So same questions for those cites. Arlington is my favorite, but it is super far out and it would have to be an excellent deal in order to make us more.
Thank you for reading my post!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 02:46 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,772,052 times
I think Arlington is really charming if you don't mind the distance but no idea on the social climate. Lake Stevens is nicer than Marysville IMO but I'm not a fan of Marysville.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,718,245 times
I agree, Arlington first, then Lake Stevens. Marysville is more affordable but there are reasons for that. Iwould not recommend Marysville unless you plan on home-schooling or private. Definitely avoid the Tulalip area west of I5, which is the most affordable but high crime, and infamous for drunk drivers.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:25 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,853,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree, Arlington first, then Lake Stevens. Marysville is more affordable but there are reasons for that. Iwould not recommend Marysville unless you plan on home-schooling or private. Definitely avoid the Tulalip area west of I5, which is the most affordable but high crime, and infamous for drunk drivers.
Any idea about how loud air traffic noise would be living in Arlington? I see a lot of homes there are surrounded by a busy municipal airport.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,718,245 times
That little airport has general aviation flight training, gliders and other small planes. Nothing like an international airport like Seatac or even Paine Field in Everett. The map below shows the noise areas, but it's not like 747 jets.

http://www.arlingtonwa.gov/modules/s...documentid=418

Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,853,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That little airport has general aviation flight training, gliders and other small planes. Nothing like an international airport like Seatac or even Paine Field in Everett. The map below shows the noise areas, but it's not like 747 jets.

http://www.arlingtonwa.gov/modules/s...documentid=418
Propeller planes can make a lot of noise if they fly low and circle around the neighborhoods, I know because I lived in Troutdale, OR near one of these airports and was driven crazy by them and couldn't sleep at night. It was by far worse than living near an international airport where the jets somehow seem to be quieter around the residential area. They eventually shut that airport in Troutdale down due to noise complaints or something, I forget , but I know those planes don't fly over the surrounding houses anymore.

I was just wondering if anyone lived in Arlington ever experienced irritation from loud propeller planes flying over the neighborhoods. I see most neighborhoods are in the Noise Abatement zone, but I'd rather hear it from people who live there or know the area from personal experience.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,487,240 times
You might also consider looking in and around the city of Snohomish. Besides all the antique stores, there are a lot of nice old Victorian homes, great eateries, and the area is generally moving more "upscale" and progressive, although there are still some reasonable prices (and larger lots) to be had nearby. BTW, like the Arlington airport, the Snohomish airport is mostly just small private planes & ultralites, although the occasional hot air balloons also launch nearby, which look pretty cool!

Old 01-08-2014, 02:18 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,536,586 times
I admittedly don't know a lot about Arlington, Marysville and Lake Stevens, but I don't believe any of them are known for being progressive. And Marysville is known for having bad schools and some gang problems.

I concur that the town of Snohomish is very charming.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:58 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,687,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
I admittedly don't know a lot about Arlington, Marysville and Lake Stevens, but I don't believe any of them are known for being progressive.
The old parts aren't progressive at all but the new developments are so separate that they can swing either way, which tends to be progressive due to all the people who move to the area for tech jobs.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:27 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,487,240 times
Well, things might be changing now, but just remember there's a reason NASCAR wanted to put a track in Marysville just a few years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington