Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,795 posts, read 58,282,396 times

Advertisements

If you have a friend in Portland, and you need EZ access to CA, I would choose Vancouver, WA. There are jobs for those who can dig them up. Costco is a GREAT choice for employment(several nearby), especially if you don't mind working evenings. (Every 'day-time' is FREE time, and you work in the DARK, when there is less to do !). I would also keep my eye on openings at US Digital, Linear Tech, SEH, and Karcher (Landa), Furuno, Underwriter Labs (near Camas). There are actually some pretty good paying jobs in Vancouver in High Tech, finance, and heavy industry. Many places will pay for your future schooling (that is what I did to get 5 degrees). Fisher Investments is growing locally and have decent jobs.

Rents will be lower than Portland, and much lower than Puget Sound. Trips to CA will be 3 hrs faster and also cheaper (using train,,,). I have been flying weekly from PDX to San Diego this last winter using $28.84 rates (one way on Spirit Air). I get to Sacramento or Reno for $39 - $59 on SWA or Alaska (during sales, or on Weds weekly deals). I don't have time to wait for a train and go back and forth daily if needed.

You can get express bus to Portland from 4 transit centers in Vancouver... if you have to working in OR (not a good idea if it can be avoided 9% income tax + downtown commute on day shift will kill 2 hrs / day, night shift = 10 - 15 minutes each way). One worthwhile employer in OR is Boeing (East Sandy, ez commute from 205 bridge). They have great benefits and wages that can overcome your TAX hit. Many other employers in the PDX airport region if you MUST work in Portland till you find a Vancouver job. Leatherman is 2 minutes from 205 bridge and pays OK. Many freight / dispatch jobs there (also in Vancouver). Get a job with airlines and enjoy free / discounted travel.

So... consider getting a job that will pay dividends on future career / educational growth. Every job should be free training for your next job.

~ 20 colleges within an hour of Vancouver, WA (Many are private so no Out-of-state tuition, many are excellent)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 02:29 AM

10 posts, read 16,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmover801 View Post
I am moving very very soon to Washington from Utah. I'm looking for any info anyone can give me on where is a good place for someone just out of high school to live? I'm looking to just work and save. I was considering Vancouver since I could shop in Oregon and save but I don't really know. Any thoughts anyone?
I recently moved back to Seattle after being away for 11 years and was shocked at how expensive it has become. Depending on how much space you need or what part of Seattle you want to live, be prepared to spend upward of $900-1500 on even a one bedroom. That is if you decided on Seattle. I doubt I'll stay here - too expensive! I'm thinking you might like Olympia. Good luck!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:52 AM

21 posts, read 40,292 times
Centralia/Chehalis is a very reasonable place to live. It is halfway between Portland and Seattle but it has only a Centralia Community College down there. It is only a half hour drive to Olympia from there and traffic is never a problem or almost never on I-5. The Evergreen College and St Martins University are in the Olympia area, along with South Puget Sound Community College.

There aren't very many jobs in the Centralia/Chehalis area.

You might find Centralia and Chehalis too conservative for your tastes but I like conservative areas.

Rick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington