Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 06:30 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,720 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt want to live next to either of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,958 times
I live in CA, but I have a similar problem with the neighbor's trees! The original owner planted palm trees, birds of paradise, and I don't know what the other trees are called, but they are huge and hang over our backyard. I have lemon and lime trees, rose bushes, etc and these trees are cutting off all the sunshine from my fruit trees, their branches and leaves are all over my garden and yard. My husband trimmed the branches back once and they grow back like weeds. Not to mention, he hurt himself doing it. I am constantly raking out the garden and pulling the branches out of my fruit trees and rose bushes. They are a nuisance! They have even knocked out some of the corner blocks of our wall!

Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
You really should cite the law that goes along with that. Pretty much any tree over 6" in diameter within the city needs to be pruned regularly if it's near a house.

I'll answer my own question here.

Seattle City Council Bills and Ordinances

Old 10-12-2013, 10:25 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnabwd View Post
I live in CA, but I have a similar problem with the neighbor's trees! The original owner planted palm trees, birds of paradise, and I don't know what the other trees are called, but they are huge and hang over our backyard. I have lemon and lime trees, rose bushes, etc and these trees are cutting off all the sunshine from my fruit trees, their branches and leaves are all over my garden and yard. My husband trimmed the branches back once and they grow back like weeds. Not to mention, he hurt himself doing it. I am constantly raking out the garden and pulling the branches out of my fruit trees and rose bushes. They are a nuisance! They have even knocked out some of the corner blocks of our wall!
Something similar happened to one of my former employers...

He got so fed up with one neighbor that he bought the home when it was for sale...

First thing was cleared all the offending vegetation...

Years of problems solved.

Local ordinance allowed him to clear to the property line... it was silent on sun and the mess from the needles...

Old 10-27-2013, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,809 times
Question:
I have same situation and would like to know if it is Ok to cut the branches that was hanging over my property which will cause some damage to my roof. I live in Northan Virginia. Please some one let me know is it legal to cut the branches.
thanks

Old 10-29-2013, 07:19 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pon5sara View Post
Question:
I have same situation and would like to know if it is Ok to cut the branches that was hanging over my property which will cause some damage to my roof. I live in Northan Virginia. Please some one let me know is it legal to cut the branches.
thanks

Ask in the NorthErn VA forum. This is discussing a Seattle Washington problem and relative laws here. The laws vary from city to city.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:49 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
To the OP, who is probably not reading this any longer...I think you should work harder at being a good neighbor and loosen up. Blocking your sunshine? We live in the lush PNW, appreciate the beauty around you and yes, grow native shade plants. Ridiculously petty.
I think YOU should be a better neighbor. What ridiculously petty and rude reply!

The lush NW, with sun, can provide bountiful harvests and beautiful gardens. Not every single acre of Western Washington needs to be dark, moss covered, douglas-fir monotony.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,761 times
My neighbor trim my tree and now he wants me to pay for the jab, Do I have to to that?

Old 11-02-2013, 02:49 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,227 times
Holy cow,

I am having a bull dozer and a track hoe run through my neighbors yard, have taken down one of his oak trees and will cut down a sweet gum for him. (Lightening struck) when we get the trees cut up and the stumps hauled off, we will pull 50 yards sand off of the high side of his lot and fill in my low side.

We did it on conversation, nothing so formal as a handshake.

When that is all done I will chip the tops and spread them out across both back lots and put in some winter rye and feed the deer with big buck mix until it comes up.

Maybe it is the lack of sunshine, we got our rain and deer season opened with a low of 45 and a high of 78, and the sky is deep blue from swaying tree top top tree top.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 12-08-2013, 08:31 PM

268 posts, read 366,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's been my understanding that you may remove branches at the property line that hang over your property, but may not do do in a manner that will do irreparable harm to the tree, and are trespassing if you go onto their property to do the work. If the trimming resulted in further die-back, disease or dangerous lopsidedness you could be sued.
Keeping in mind that I have no municipal codes with to deal with, I consulted an attorney about a similar matter, and that is exactly what I was told. I also unsurprisingly learned that if a tree is growing on a property line, then tree belongs to neither landowner. One landowner could legally shave off his portion of the tree. If the other landowner felt monetary damage had been done, then the landowner with the surviving section of the tree could sue the other landowner.

Of course it is best to try reasoning with your adjacent landowner. I'll spare the details and not turn this into a "Nightmare Adjacent Landowners from Seattle" topic. I do keep the Adjacent Landowner from Miami's lot mowed for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington