Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,170,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabbingwestward View Post
...What are the big downsides to Vancouver?

rain... 200+ days / yr of overcast
from 30" rain (Drizzle) / yr to 100+"
(That is what we get, but because we can tolerate 80 mph winds and freezing rain we get more 'clear days', just more heavy rain too. (very elevation / Columbia Gorge specific). Mtns and narrow passage for COLD air to escape MT, ID, OR and eastern WA.

(Thus I keep a CHEAP Hill Country TX retreat for sun breaks it is rented out and has a cabin shop and barn for me.) I keep a CHEAP ($35) car there, and fly back and forth ~$100 each way... not possible as a family). BUT the discount fares direct to San Diego are possible! $23.10 one way direct flight on Spirit (various sale dates, but usually very well planned / you can get back and forth each way for CHEAP). Down at ^AM, return at midnight, not hotel or rental car required. (I get rental cars on Hotwire for under $20/ day, probably best choice for a family, as public transit adds up FAST with multiple travelers.

Other downsides (Opinions of others)

Too Sleepy of a town
(no significant entertainment, but these shows are frequent and superb!!!) https://www.cytportlandvancouver.org/
Portland has over 20 colleges, so plenty of culture / opportunity there.

Suburbia
(quite a bit of sprawl, but some nice walkable communities / areas)
Bedroom community... Not sure that is true. I know very few people who work in Portland, there are some great employers in WA. (more coming too).

Things that have REALLY eroded my Vancouver based experience:

No CHEAP public lap pools, I used to swim laps everyday ($0.75) in Previous state (Colorado)
There are a couple 'frilly' community pools cater to kids / slides / water park, ~ 3 lap lanes, too many people to share, and Vancouver swimmers are the ultimate grumps (they don't share lanes well). NO 50M pools (Must go to Beaverton). Folks here call 25M pools OLYMPIC Sized.. . For a place that NEEDS indoor recreation, Vancouver is very 'wanting'. Hint: Buy a rural property with a HUGE shop and set up wally ball and roller hockey for your kids. Add an apartment and you will REALLY enjoy it when the kids LEAVE (or return home with their scream'n kids / babies.). Other option... join a healthclub with a LARGE pool (actually it will be small)

Clark County Planning and assessors: They really get under your skin. I finally sold and left my 'perfect' very cute, fruit farm...kids and family, and friends loved it, 2 min to I-5... I left due to inconsistent planning that made it impossible to FARM in an 'in-town' / Ag Zone (next door to Heritage Farm / old Poor Farm). I fought many planning battles for my retired / tired very old neighbors. We lost every battle to 'land-use attorneys / ex county planners / commissioners who became developers... There is a LOT of Payola in the Clark County Planning offices. (You will note a few DR's and such who have built illegal homes in Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area (Clark county has MINIMAL acreage there). Other counties comply with the Federal regs... (Counties have latitude to decide, and my last COUNTY issued permit was $26k for PLANNING ONLY (no construction yet) . When the Feds administered the plan... it cost me a postage stamp for the same service.

Property Taxes:
Not everyone is blessed with caustic relationship with the county assessor. I pay $14,400 / yr in property taxes (up from $800/ yr) and I go to court a LOT. I have a rental home 1 minute away, different county / school district; same cost basis as primary home. Taxes are $1200 / yr. Generally, the Property taxes are ~ $12.70 / thousand, but NEVER buy a place without checking. The house across the street may be in a taxing district that is 1/3 to 1/2 the rate.

of course... No Cornhuskers! Not a problem for me... I don't have a TV and have NEVER watched a game of professional sports. (If it is not raining... I'm outside working on farm... if it is raining, I am outside working in the mud and cold. (Not very Nebraska like... there we took rainy days off and went to the livestock sale barn, and did tractor / tire / engine repairs. ) In We_tside WA you do EVERYTHING in the drizzle... dig ditches / garden / prune / roofing / car repairs / oil changes / ball games / running / picnics / mow the grass (3x / week...)...

Staying near Vancouver; but with less rain is White Salmon, WA 1 hr east; (BZ Corners and Trout Lake are a nice little towns nearby / low rain). Lots of recreation businesses there as well as Insitu (Drones). Quite an excellent Tech culture in that region (Google has a center in The Dalles, OR, 30 min east of there) Join these networking / tech meetings / Welcome to the GTA - Gorge Technology Alliance

Less techy and cheap and AG is Goldendale, WA.
+/- Some love it, some hate it. I have 6 friends living there (They all love it. I would be OK, but it is limited in activity / jobs / recreation (outside school events). It has both Prairie and Mtns (forests).

Come stay and enjoy the region. We have used guest homes for 30 yrs $10 / night worldwide for the whole family (meals are usually included). Often these are farm stays (especially in NE and SD! and Europe). There is a superb guest home / farm museum in Bickleton (Near Goldendale). Worth the trip (Only a day's drive from Gering (~22 hrs))

(whoops... I thought you were on the NE to WA thread... oh well, similar needs...maybe another future reader is from NE... )

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-24-2015 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 11:46 AM

448 posts, read 814,507 times
Quote:
From what others have said, Vancouver does get less rain than Seattle and places north, true?
From 1981-2010 the Seattle airport averaged 37.49 inches of precipitation a year. PDX (just across the Columbia from Vancouver) averaged 36.03 inches a year over the same time period. 1.46 inches of difference. Assuming it drizzles a tenth of an inch a day, that's approximately 2 weeks of drizzle in Seattle vs 2 weeks of overcast weather in Portland. So yes, it does rain less in Vancouver, but not enough to base your relocation decision on. Coming from Houston, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the weather in the two cities. It'd be like arguing about the difference in heat/humidity between Houston and New Orleans. If I were you, I'd pick a place that was good for your family first and then worry about the weather after that. If the Puget Sound fits your needs better than the Portland metro, the extra 2 weeks of drizzle won't be noticeable. Although if either of you thinks you could be affected by SAD, you should definitely be careful and do your research when looking to live in Western Washington or Western Oregon.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:42 PM

28 posts, read 62,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

rain... 200+ days / yr of overcast
from 30" rain (Drizzle) / yr to 100+"
(That is what we get, but because we can tolerate 80 mph winds and freezing rain we get more 'clear days', just more heavy rain too. (very elevation / Columbia Gorge specific). Mtns and narrow passage for COLD air to escape MT, ID, OR and eastern WA.

(Thus I keep a CHEAP Hill Country TX retreat for sun breaks it is rented out and has a cabin shop and barn for me.) I keep a CHEAP ($35) car there, and fly back and forth ~$100 each way... not possible as a family). BUT the discount fares direct to San Diego are possible! $23.10 one way direct flight on Spirit (various sale dates, but usually very well planned / you can get back and forth each way for CHEAP). Down at ^AM, return at midnight, not hotel or rental car required. (I get rental cars on Hotwire for under $20/ day, probably best choice for a family, as public transit adds up FAST with multiple travelers.

Other downsides (Opinions of others)

Too Sleepy of a town
(no significant entertainment, but these shows are frequent and superb!!!) https://www.cytportlandvancouver.org/
Portland has over 20 colleges, so plenty of culture / opportunity there.

Suburbia
(quite a bit of sprawl, but some nice walkable communities / areas)
Bedroom community... Not sure that is true. I know very few people who work in Portland, there are some great employers in WA. (more coming too).

Things that have REALLY eroded my Vancouver based experience:

No CHEAP public lap pools, I used to swim laps everyday ($0.75) in Previous state (Colorado)
There are a couple 'frilly' community pools cater to kids / slides / water park, ~ 3 lap lanes, too many people to share, and Vancouver swimmers are the ultimate grumps (they don't share lanes well). NO 50M pools (Must go to Beaverton). Folks here call 25M pools OLYMPIC Sized.. . For a place that NEEDS indoor recreation, Vancouver is very 'wanting'. Hint: Buy a rural property with a HUGE shop and set up wally ball and roller hockey for your kids. Add an apartment and you will REALLY enjoy it when the kids LEAVE (or return home with their scream'n kids / babies.). Other option... join a healthclub with a LARGE pool (actually it will be small)

Clark County Planning and assessors: They really get under your skin. I finally sold and left my 'perfect' very cute, fruit farm...kids and family, and friends loved it, 2 min to I-5... I left due to inconsistent planning that made it impossible to FARM in an 'in-town' / Ag Zone (next door to Heritage Farm / old Poor Farm). I fought many planning battles for my retired / tired very old neighbors. We lost every battle to 'land-use attorneys / ex county planners / commissioners who became developers... There is a LOT of Payola in the Clark County Planning offices. (You will note a few DR's and such who have built illegal homes in Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area (Clark county has MINIMAL acreage there). Other counties comply with the Federal regs... (Counties have latitude to decide, and my last COUNTY issued permit was $26k for PLANNING ONLY (no construction yet) . When the Feds administered the plan... it cost me a postage stamp for the same service.

Property Taxes:
Not everyone is blessed with caustic relationship with the county assessor. I pay $14,400 / yr in property taxes (up from $800/ yr) and I go to court a LOT. I have a rental home 1 minute away, different county / school district; same cost basis as primary home. Taxes are $1200 / yr. Generally, the Property taxes are ~ $12.70 / thousand, but NEVER buy a place without checking. The house across the street may be in a taxing district that is 1/3 to 1/2 the rate.

of course... No Cornhuskers! Not a problem for me... I don't have a TV and have NEVER watched a game of professional sports. (If it is not raining... I'm outside working on farm... if it is raining, I am outside working in the mud and cold. (Not very Nebraska like... there we took rainy days off and went to the livestock sale barn, and did tractor / tire / engine repairs. ) In We_tside WA you do EVERYTHING in the drizzle... dig ditches / garden / prune / roofing / car repairs / oil changes / ball games / running / picnics / mow the grass (3x / week...)...

Staying near Vancouver; but with less rain is White Salmon, WA 1 hr east; (BZ Corners and Trout Lake are a nice little towns nearby / low rain). Lots of recreation businesses there as well as Insitu (Drones). Quite an excellent Tech culture in that region (Google has a center in The Dalles, OR, 30 min east of there) Join these networking / tech meetings / Welcome to the GTA - Gorge Technology Alliance

Less techy and cheap and AG is Goldendale, WA.
+/- Some love it, some hate it. I have 6 friends living there (They all love it. I would be OK, but it is limited in activity / jobs / recreation (outside school events). It has both Prairie and Mtns (forests).

Come stay and enjoy the region. We have used guest homes for 30 yrs $10 / night worldwide for the whole family (meals are usually included). Often these are farm stays (especially in NE and SD! and Europe). There is a superb guest home / farm museum in Bickleton (Near Goldendale). Worth the trip (Only a day's drive from Gering (~22 hrs))

(whoops... I thought you were on the NE to WA thread... oh well, similar needs...maybe another future reader is from NE... )
Awesome info, thank you. Texas has hideous property taxes as well, and we are looking forward to escaping this aspect as well as the oppressive heat and humidity.

Job-wise, I'm fairly open. My wife is a little more picky, but she can be with her skills and talent. I married up for certain.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
From 1981-2010 the Seattle airport averaged 37.49 inches of precipitation a year. PDX (just across the Columbia from Vancouver) averaged 36.03 inches a year over the same time period. 1.46 inches of difference. Assuming it drizzles a tenth of an inch a day, that's approximately 2 weeks of drizzle in Seattle vs 2 weeks of overcast weather in Portland. So yes, it does rain less in Vancouver, but not enough to base your relocation decision on. Coming from Houston, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the weather in the two cities. It'd be like arguing about the difference in heat/humidity between Houston and New Orleans. If I were you, I'd pick a place that was good for your family first and then worry about the weather after that. If the Puget Sound fits your needs better than the Portland metro, the extra 2 weeks of drizzle won't be noticeable. Although if either of you thinks you could be affected by SAD, you should definitely be careful and do your research when looking to live in Western Washington or Western Oregon.
Great info, thank you. I have never suffered from SAD and nor has my wife. Having lived in Europe and Asia in places very similar to the PNW weather-wise, I am far happier in overcast and drizzle than the oppressive 300+ days of sun and stifling humidity. We are ready to leave the weather here behind. Kids can play in overcast and drizzle. It's a different animal with constant 90+ degree days and 80+ % humidity.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:04 AM

448 posts, read 814,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stabbingwestward View Post
Great info, thank you. I have never suffered from SAD and nor has my wife. Having lived in Europe and Asia in places very similar to the PNW weather-wise, I am far happier in overcast and drizzle than the oppressive 300+ days of sun and stifling humidity. We are ready to leave the weather here behind. Kids can play in overcast and drizzle. It's a different animal with constant 90+ degree days and 80+ % humidity.
I hear you, man! The weather here in Texas is ridiculous. Good luck with your move! Hopefully I'll only be a couple years behind you.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
I hear you, man! The weather here in Texas is ridiculous. Good luck with your move! Hopefully I'll only be a couple years behind you.
Good on you! I hope everything works out for you, too.

I don't understand how people choose to live here and play out in the sun. What's odd is the people that do live on the lake or at the pool look like leather by the time they are 30, really risking skin cancer. A lot of otherwise pretty women here look years older because they live in direct sunlight. I'm with the French, I'll cross the street and walk in the shade of buildings before I stay in direct sunlight.

The sunscreen section in our Walmart is literally a representation of every brand offered. Sprays, creams, colored gels, liquids, for adults to babies. Anything to look like you have a tan. Sadly, tanned skin is the standard of beauty here. I wore shorts once and was told, "Dude, you are too white, you need some sun." I replied that I'm the way God made me and I'm happy with it, thanks.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:44 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,306,866 times
Purely in economic terms, I think WA has the edge. While our sales tax is high, it's pretty easy to circumvent this with online shopping. Of course most of us can't buy everything online, but most things.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the WA job market and wages are generally much higher. WA, and Seattle in particular has a booming economy with many large employers -both private and public- that pay well. Even service jobs pay well relative to most other areas, those the Seattle high COL makes it difficult to get bye on them.

In terms of living in a smaller to mid-size area, OR has the advantage. While Portland is getting somewhat crowded, it's not nearly as crowded as Seattle. That said, there are some nice mid-size cities in Western WA - Bellingham, Olympia, but finding work can be challenging unless you're trained in a high-demand field.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Purely in economic terms, I think WA has the edge. While our sales tax is high, it's pretty easy to circumvent this with online shopping. Of course most of us can't buy everything online, but most things.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the WA job market and wages are generally much higher. WA, and Seattle in particular has a booming economy with many large employers -both private and public- that pay well. Even service jobs pay well relative to most other areas, those the Seattle high COL makes it difficult to get bye on them.

In terms of living in a smaller to mid-size area, OR has the advantage. While Portland is getting somewhat crowded, it's not nearly as crowded as Seattle. That said, there are some nice mid-size cities in Western WA - Bellingham, Olympia, but finding work can be challenging unless you're trained in a high-demand field.
Even more good info, thank you.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:53 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,738,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Purely in economic terms, I think WA has the edge.
Promoting Seattle's economy is not always ideal. This sounds like another scenario where someone starts by saying no long dark, wet winters right from the beginning. Seattle will be chosen despite the warning of long, dark, wet winters, then three years later after an expensive move, it will be said that they didn't know it would be such long, dark, wet winters.

There is another poster on the Seattle board already preparing to return to Texas. It's a big red flag when the first post says no long, dark, wet winters. We have posters on the Seattle board that have left and years later, still come back to leave negative posts. Just want to emphasize that many posters have mentioned that Seattle gets long, dark, wet winters. The amount of rain may be less that New York or Miami, but it's stretched out over a much longer period and the clouds can lie low for weeks and days are very short in the winter. That way if the choice is made, they can't say they weren't warned.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Promoting Seattle's economy is not always ideal. This sounds like another scenario where someone starts by saying no long dark, wet winters right from the beginning. Seattle will be chosen despite the warning of long, dark, wet winters, then three years later after an expensive move, it will be said that they didn't know it would be such long, dark, wet winters.

There is another poster on the Seattle board already preparing to return to Texas. It's a big red flag when the first post says no long, dark, wet winters. We have posters on the Seattle board that have left and years later, still come back to leave negative posts. Just want to emphasize that many posters have mentioned that Seattle gets long, dark, wet winters. The amount of rain may be less that New York or Miami, but it's stretched out over a much longer period and the clouds can lie low for weeks and days are very short in the winter. That way if the choice is made, they can't say they weren't warned.
Good info. We don't mind long, dark overcast months. My wife initially thought the rain would be like it is along the Gulf Coast. It's not. The PNW has drizzle/mist/hanging-in-the-air rain. We both experience this kind of rain in Alaska, Asia, and in Europe. We don't mind that rain. We dislike the torrential rains that can wash away streets -- literally. Gulf Coast rain. We dislike the abject, oven-like temperatures 9 months a year. Texas along the coast is hot and then warm. There is never a real let-off.

We are quite willing to enjoy -- yes, enjoy -- overcast, misty days compared to what we are living with now. It's always possible to go out and enjoy an overcast, misty day. It's easy to put on layers if need be. It's something else entirely when it's so hot you cannot remove anything else and still be legal. Our power bill from running the AC is outright theft. No one here does without AC unless they are abjectly poor or just crazy. It's 100 here today and there are no clouds or rain in sight. We don't venture out much to do things during the day because we can't -- it's simply too uncomfortable with the heat and humidity. Sadly, our situation keeps us here for another couple of years. Once we can, we're bailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington