Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellynl View Post
I'd be curious about what the original poster decided about this. We live in the Netherlands and are considering a move to Washington or Oregon also.
We need a bit more info if you want advice specific to your situation. I have friends from the Netherlands living in each state; WA and OR.

Do you need jobs?
Will you have significant income?
Long term move?
Need Schools?
Need Healthcare?
Want rainy or drier?
Like Beer or prefer Coffee?
Would you enjoy living where folks are a bit kinky, or do you prefer professionals as neighbors? (Some of each?)
What is recreation preference?
What about access to Cultural activities?

These are just a few things that might help us / you decide.
Something else may be important to you. (In my case, low income taxes + access to a quick and cheap international airport keeps me in WA State, but a few minutes from Portland Oregon Airport.)

Cost of Living can vary a lot on towns in each state.
Oregon has a 9% income tax burden, WA has a 9% sales Tax. (But no income tax).
There is Federal Income tax due regardless of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 09:15 AM

180 posts, read 583,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGardener555 View Post
I totally agree with everything you said. Spot on about the political polarization in the US and most American's political attitude these days. Lots of apathy and self-indulgence these days.

I agree on the "diversity of opinion" in Oregon you mention too. Same with far Northern Cal. If you have any views that lean somewhat conservative, you better keep them to yourself in most situations.

I still remember when I was hanging out with some Ashland hippies a long time ago and having a good time. Then we started talking politics and I told them that I am in favor of people being able to own guns, and they completely ostracized me from their group for that, LMAO!

If you aren't 100% left-leaning and politically correct in every way a lot of them will definitely kick you to the curb, a herd of sheep cannot tolerate individuality. I learned that lesson many times. But every place on Earth has it's negative aspects and ignorant people who are just following the herd. Whether it be Liberal, Conservative, Religious, or whatever. Some people need a label to identify with and dictate to them how they should live and think.
Sorry about your experience in Ashland (I have to admit I am not a huge fan of Ashland either) but your experience is not what I have found in Oregon ( lived here on and off 1997-1999, and been here ever since).

1) lots of liberals here in Oregon own guns. I know, we used to go shooting on Sundays in Portland. I sold enough guns they were 1/3 of my house downpayment... And kept my three favorites!
2) outside of Portland Metro ( and Ashland) it's a lot more evenly split Democrat/Republican than you think. Even in Eugene the city council is pretty evenly split with the mayorship going back and forth. My town Cottage Grove has been nearly 50/50 in every election since 2000. Certainly there are places that do not tolerate opposing views, but you can certainly find a lot of middle ground in Oregon.

Also on taxes. Whatever stealth rabbit says it doesn't matter if you buy or own, you will still pay property taxes, I have never met a landlord who was not getting his property taxes payed for by the renters, the difference is if you own, you can deduct those taxes from your federal taxes.

As to state taxes, I personally prefer an income tax to sales tax, because I can easily tell you how much I give the state each year, which btw is a lot less than 12K SR is paying in property tax... In fact my income tax, property tax, vehicle registration and city water bill combined is about 2/3s of that... Now maybe SR has a really nice house and I am happy for him, but mine is great too and cost me almost 200k.

Keep in mind that if you are looking for work and move to Vancouver, most jobs are in Portland which means you will have to pay the income tax, and have a soul crushing commute as well.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:03 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellynl View Post
I'd be curious about what the original poster decided about this. We live in the Netherlands and are considering a move to Washington or Oregon also.
At least you'll know what to expect weather wise if you move to the western half of either state.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,010 times
Sadly Vancouver, WA is super conservative/religious. The feel of the place kind of creeps me out. I prefer a more academic environment.

Having said that, living there wasn't too bad. (Especially when compared to Fairbanks, AK!) Lots to do and quick access to Portland.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:19 PM

28 posts, read 62,676 times
Default More Info, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsenmai View Post
Sadly Vancouver, WA is super conservative/religious. The feel of the place kind of creeps me out. I prefer a more academic environment.

Having said that, living there wasn't too bad. (Especially when compared to Fairbanks, AK!) Lots to do and quick access to Portland.
Could you please be more specific about what you mean by super-conservative/religious? I find this interesting. Thank you...

Old 07-24-2015, 12:24 PM

I have a question about living in WA and perhaps working in OR or vice-versa. If one lives in Vancouver and works in Portland, does one pay OR any tax or is it based on home of record for work-based taxation? Curious.

The idea intrigues me of living in WA with no state tax and shopping in OR with no sales tax. This is something of having one's cake and eating it, too. Potential idea for us, as my wife and I are looking to move to WA in a couple of years before our toddlers start school. Thank you...

Old 07-24-2015, 02:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Income tax is owned to the state you are WORKING / earning that income (some states also tax 'out of state' earnings... not WA ) So if you work for an Oregon employer, but live in WA and work from home... only have to go pay tax when (if) you have to go to Oregon for meetings. (or client visits).

While taxation was not a reason for us to move to Vancouver, WA. It did help out as a young family, and we had a great time frequenting Portland for activities. WA can be a good location during your earning yrs. We did well on our real estate investments (investments = more wealth growth than our job...)

We homeschooled. Clark County Home Educators - News & Events

Kids went to college (free) instead of wasting time in High School.

I consider the comment about Vancouver being SUPER conservative / religious to be way off base. Electorate does vote a bit conservative, but by no means is Vancouver "SUPER conservative / religious". From my perspective (moderate conservative) it is way liberal, and tolerant. but you can survive in PNW with any persuasion. (Oregon is a bit more quirky).

YMMV

Old 07-24-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Income tax is owned to the state you are WORKING / earning that income (some states also tax 'out of state' earnings... not WA ) So if you work for an Oregon employer, but live in WA and work from home... only have to go pay tax when (if) you have to go to Oregon for meetings. (or client visits).

While taxation was not a reason for us to move to Vancouver, WA. It did help out as a young family, and we had a great time frequenting Portland for activities. WA can be a good location during your earning yrs. We did well on our real estate investments (investments = more wealth growth than our job...)

We homeschooled. Clark County Home Educators - News & Events

Kids went to college (free) instead of wasting time in High School.

I consider the comment about Vancouver being SUPER conservative / religious to be way off base. Electorate does vote a bit conservative, but by no means is Vancouver "SUPER conservative / religious". From my perspective (moderate conservative) it is way liberal, and tolerant. but you can survive in PNW with any persuasion. (Oregon is a bit more quirky).

YMMV
Great info, thank you. We are a family of five, me, wife, three kids. We love WA state and the beauty. My posts indicate we are looking for something with a mix of weather. What's the rain situation in Vancouver? My wife and I love Western WA, but my wife detests months of drizzle. Would Vancouver be something that remedies our desire for mild winters, temperate, but warm enough summers, and reasonable amounts of rain? We have family in Seattle and in other parts of WA and the sogginess is tiring after a bit. But, coming from Houston, TX, we want to escape the oppressive heat and humidity which literally can leave you breathless at times, especially during lawn work and hiking/running.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:46 PM

448 posts, read 812,708 times
Quote:
Would Vancouver be something that remedies our desire for mild winters, temperate, but warm enough summers, and reasonable amounts of rain? We have family in Seattle and in other parts of WA and the sogginess is tiring after a bit.
No. Everything west of the Cascades is gray and drizzly for more than half the year. Portland will say they have better weather than Seattle, but only native to the area could tell. From your perspective, you're not going to notice a substantial difference in weather between the Puget Sound and the Willamette Valley. You have to get on the other side of the Cascades before the weather changes enough to write home about. If your wife hates constant drizzle, she'll hate anywhere from Bellingham to Eugene.

It's definitely not hot though (usually)! And the rest of your weather requirements would be met - mild winters and warm summers.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
No. Everything west of the Cascades is gray and drizzly for more than half the year. Portland will say they have better weather than Seattle, but only native to the area could tell. From your perspective, you're not going to notice a substantial difference in weather between the Puget Sound and the Willamette Valley. You have to get on the other side of the Cascades before the weather changes enough to write home about. If your wife hates constant drizzle, she'll hate anywhere from Bellingham to Eugene.

It's definitely not hot though (usually)! And the rest of your weather requirements would be met - mild winters and warm summers.
Good info, thank you.

From what others have said, Vancouver does get less rain than Seattle and places north, true?

I think Vancouver may be more of what we are looking for, but I will need a lot more info and do alit more research before we make final plans. Vancouver looks good because of the opportunities across the river with jobs, shopping, you name it.

The more I read about Vancouver, the more I like. What are the big downsides to Vancouver?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington