Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 PM

361 posts, read 853,891 times

Advertisements

Reminiscing with some folks today about our 90s era DC haunts: The old Republic Gardens, Andalusian Dog, Insect Club, Spy Club, State of the Union, Club Zei, DC Live, EyeBar, etc. Of all the names we rattled off, no one could remember the name of the club on F Street which for a time was THE club, especially for the Black professional set, sort of DC's version of the Shark Bar. It had a one syllable name, but no one could remember it. I think it had gotten kind of hoodratish and then turned into a bunch of other clubs over the years... anybody remember the name of that place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
Reminiscing with some folks today about our 90s era DC haunts: The old Republic Gardens, Andalusian Dog, Insect Club, Spy Club, State of the Union, Club Zei, DC Live, EyeBar, etc. Of all the names we rattled off, no one could remember the name of the club on F Street which for a time was THE club, especially for the Black professional set, sort of DC's version of the Shark Bar. It had a one syllable name, but no one could remember it. I think it had gotten kind of hoodratish and then turned into a bunch of other clubs over the years... anybody remember the name of that place?
The Ritz

Old 07-12-2011, 07:14 AM

349 posts, read 990,221 times
The Bank? (later known as Platinum)

Old 07-12-2011, 08:04 AM

534 posts, read 1,169,946 times
Sorry - after my time. I was more of an 80's club person. My favorite spot was the 21st Amendment. Long gone, building demolished.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 AM

999 posts, read 2,010,531 times
I remember more bars than clubs back in the day.

The Cellar on M Street. Great place to pick up 18-21 college girls if you are an old perv. Lots of hotties in this club.

Lulus. Also on M Street. The best Mardi Gras theme joint outside of Nawlins.

Tequila Grill on 19th Street. I could buy six bottles of Corona and walk out with six less dollars in my wallet. The appetizers were delish too.

Planet Fred's on Connecticut Ave. It's now the Lucky Bar but Fred's was a cool place to hang when I was in my early 20s.

Samantha's on L Street. Now called Mackey's.

Whitlow's on 11st Street. Relocated to Arlington, VA many moons ago.

Ozio on K Street. Back in the 1990s, it was trendy to drink martinis and smoke cigars. Lots of ladies were doing this back then. The Ozio on M Street, today, does not have the same vibe.

The Rock. Shortly after Verizon Center opened in 1997, a cool sports bar called The Rock sprung up a block away from the arena. Too bad it's long gone.

Babe's in Tenleytown. When I took some classes at AU, I would hang out at Babe's Billiards on Wisconsin Ave. The old Babe's is long gone but the owner recently brought Babe's back to life in Silver Spring. Not the same though

THE OLD 9:30 Club. The place was smaller compared to the current digs. But the location was perfect for the kind of punk and alternative rock bands that roll into DC. The sex shops. The old family-run appliance shops. The whole 9th Street area had a dive feel. Punk bands from NYC would feel at home there.

Believe it or not...there was a time in DC when drinks were CHEAP and STRONG. One dollar beer happy hours were everywhere. People were more laid-back and bar staff were friendly to customers. You would have a strong cross section of class and race of people hanging out in bars and lounges. It was not utopia but DC WAS a cool place to call home.

Then came gentrification...

Old 07-12-2011, 09:07 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
It was not utopia but DC WAS a cool place to call home.
It still is.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:09 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Chicago's which is now Buffalo Billiards in Dupont Circle
Quigleys on 18th & I
RSVP
The Mirage
State of the Union
Bar None which is now Pure on 13th & U
Club U

Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 AM

999 posts, read 2,010,531 times
Sure, if you have the money to enjoy what DC has to offer residents and visitors.

If you got cash to burn on $2,500+ per month rents; $14 cocktails; $8.00 bottles of imported beer; $100 dinner dates for two, and a few hundred bucks on an afternoon boutique shopping spree, then yeah, DC is an awesome place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
It still is.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:28 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
ahh the Ritz. Best place ever. Coldbliss, stop being a killjoy.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:35 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
If you got cash to burn on $2,500+ per month rents; $14 cocktails; $8.00 bottles of imported beer; $100 dinner dates for two, and a few hundred bucks on an afternoon boutique shopping spree, then yeah, DC is an awesome place.
Complete hyperbole. None of that comes close to describing how me, my wife, or any of our friends live. Case-in-point: Saturday night the Mrs. and I headed out for drinks and nosh at an H Street bar, then settled in for a performance at the HR-57 jazz club. Our total cost for the entire evening was under $60, which included the cover charge at the club. And that's a big night out for us.

Perhaps what you described in your comment above is how the people you associate with spend their time and money, but it's not how anyone I know does. DC has more of those types of venues now than it did 20 or 30 years ago, but it's got more of pretty much everything than it did 20-30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: