Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 AM

7 posts, read 40,160 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to DC for Law School at GW in mid-august. Here's the situation: I'm moving from Cleveland with my fiancee and a good friend of ours who is going to take the second bedroom of a 2BR/2BA.

Fiancee: Working 2 blocks from the Bethesda Metro (has car, and needs to keep it for work - can store it there if necessary)
Me: GW Law near Foggy Bottom. (no car)
"Third Wheel" - Going to Georgetown Law - Judiciary Square/Union Station (also has a car that she can keep or store at her parents' house outside the city.)

What are some good places for us to look ? We want to keep the rent around $2000 total (maybe a LITTLE more) if possible. (We know that the rent market is exorbitant compared to Cleveland, but we lived in NYC and Boston before, so we can take it!) It would be great if we lived near (within walking distance) of a metro stop and if any/all of us could be at our destinations in 30min or less. We don't want to live in a bad neighborhood, but we don't know anything about the neighborhoods there. We aren't adverse to living outside the city, but it has to be convenient to get back in and out by metro.

Another possibility is that we could ditch the third wheel and my fiancee and I could get a studio/1BR, probably $1200 or less total, though.

Any thoughts? If there's anything that might help us go in the right direction or any realtors/sites we should know about or places to avoid/go towards, that would be great.

Thanks in advance, all!

EDITED to answer questions:

1. Do I need to be by a metro rail? Would I be okay if I were on a bus line? Metro rail would be best considering the diverse schedules of the 3 of us.

2. How long of a commute to work am I willing to have? Would I be okay driving? Taking the commuter rail? (where will I be working?) Half an hour would be great for us students, but 45min door to door isn't crazy for my fiancee in the car.

3. Would I be willing to live with a roommate or multiple roommates? See above

4. What amenities do I absolutely need in an apartment -- pets? gym? a/c? washer/dryer? We have one cat. Don't need a gym...a washer/dryer would be GREAT, but not necessary. We don't need central air, we have a window unit we can use, but it's a nice perk.

5. What is the absolute maximum, with utilities and any fees, I can afford? We'd love to keep it under 2K, but if it's a BIT above that (22-2300) , it's not completely out of range.

6. What is my definition of safe? I'm ok with not living in the nicest area but I'd like to be able to take a stroll without being mugged or anything. <--- loved this answer, keeping it. I'd like to be in a place where we can walk to and from the metro at night without worrying a lot. Also, all three of us like to run, so something near a trail or something like that would be a definete PLUS.

7. How important is nightlife? family community? schools? We love museums and cultural events, but don't mind travelling into the city for them. However, Third Wheel has many more friends that live in DC proper and is more enthusiastic about enjoying the nightlife with them. Not sure if this is a consideration into getting a studio/1BR and ditching Third...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 10:30 PM

132 posts, read 355,136 times
Every quadrant in DC has it's good and bad areas and genralizing an entire area like SE simply shows a lack of research on your part. Do you realize that some of the most powerful people in the US work and walk around SE every day (have you heard of a place called Capitol Hill?) This is where top government officials and their staff (including white women) work and walk around at all hours of the night. They are safe and I don't think I've ever turned on the news and heard of someone being mugged at the Senate Building on the Hill. News falsh: Capitol Hill encompasses a large portion of SE DC. Furthermore, this neighborhood is heavily protected by the DC Police, Park Police, and Capitol Hill Police. Not to mention the security guards posted at every major government building and museum in the neighborhood. So next time you quiver with fear while thinking of walking in SE DC, remember that your own congressman or woman is safe at work there ever day!

Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
They work there but they may not live there, big difference.

BTW, I was in LeDroit Park yesterday afternoon, absolutely gorgeous area and it's still relatively cheap...I don't think it's experienced that boom yet, but that will most likely happen soon. I'd look there, it's still relatively close to just about everything, Metro/nightlife. Just another option besides Dupont/Cleveland Park, etc.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
They work there but they may not live there, big difference.

BTW, I was in LeDroit Park yesterday afternoon, absolutely gorgeous area and it's still relatively cheap...I don't think it's experienced that boom yet, but that will most likely happen soon. I'd look there, it's still relatively close to just about everything, Metro/nightlife. Just another option besides Dupont/Cleveland Park, etc.
LMAO! White women don't live on Capitol Hill?? Are you serious? I've heard some silly stereotypes on here but this has got to be the funniest. I've lived and worked around the Hill area since 2003 and most of my friends are white women and white guys and NEWS FLASH...they live on the Hill! But you gave us all a good laugh. Drop me a line if you ever want to be introduced to some of the political power players that live on the Hill. You may learn a thing or two and prevent yourself from sounding silly in the prsence of more educated city folks.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCadvocate View Post
LMAO! White women don't live on Capitol Hill?? Are you serious? I've heard some silly stereotypes on here but this has got to be the funniest. I've lived and worked around the Hill area since 2003 and most of my friends are white women and white guys and NEWS FLASH...they live on the Hill! But you gave us all a good laugh. Drop me a line if you ever want to be introduced to some of the political power players that live on the Hill. You may learn a thing or two and prevent yourself from sounding silly in the prsence of more educated city folks.
....so out of that one sentence response, you manage to turn this into a "white people do live on Capitol Hill!" post. Awesome, mind you I never said white people didn't live there, just stated a generalization, just b/c one works on the Hill doesn't mean they live there, and that goes for other parts of the city as well. People do commute into the city to work ya know.

Last edited by DomRep; 07-26-2011 at 08:23 AM..

Old 07-26-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
....so out of that one sentence response, you manage to turn this into a "white people do live on Capitol Hill!" post. Awesome, mind you I never said white people didn't live there, just stated a generalization, just b/c one works on the Hill doesn't mean they live there, and that goes for other parts of the city as well. People do commute into the city to work ya know.
Excuse me, but you're the one that said and I quote "As a single white woman this is my perception and my perception only...it's generally acknowledged that the SE Quadrant of DC and parts of SW are more 'up and coming'...not areas I would want to walk around alone at night" I was just trying to help you comprehend that there are people who look like you that walk around SE on Capitol Hill at night. But this task seems to be quite a challenge. This is the exact reason why I write on this forum, to change mind sets like yours and help people realize there are beautiful and safe neighborhoods in all four DC quadrants and not just NW (whch ironically has its fair share of scary neighborhoods). But you've sparked some ideas for me on how to bring about the mental change needed. So thank you!

Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 AM

OK, a) I'm not white and b) I'm not a woman.

Edit: At this point, you're confusing me with someone else.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 22,645 times
I've accepted a positon ith the DC Public Library and ill be moving in early September. I will be orking in SW and do need to be near the metro. The green line (Waterfront) is mere steps away from my office. My plans are to stay in a hostel until I find a place. Where should I look? Are there nice places/neighborhoods that aren't off the charts expensive??? ideally, I am not wanting to have a very convoluted commute...HELP!!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
Why not live in SW around the Waterfront metro? That area is not that relatively expensive, and you can't beat walking to work.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Why not live in SW around the Waterfront metro? That area is not that relatively expensive, and you can't beat walking to work.
Moving into the neighborhood in September, and I believe HBK aka ahales lives in the area as well. I co-sign with stateofnature. The area is still cheap compared to the rest of the city, but that's not going to last long. Wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing prices on par with Dupont, Columbia Heights, etc. Give it 18 months. It's an overlooked part of the city, mostly because no one knows where it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC