Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 05:30 PM
jmm jmm started this thread

1 posts, read 4,773 times

Advertisements

I'm a single woman in my mid-30s, currently living in Manhattan, but I've got a great job opportunity in Thousand Oaks, so I'm thinking about moving out to L.A. I'm going to be out there for additional interviews in a few weeks and they're going to have a relocation person take me around, but I want to have a better idea of what areas I'm interested in and which ones I'm not interested in before I get there. I've never lived in the L.A. area, but I want to know where the best places would be to live so I'm not in commuting hell, but I want to make sure it's still an area I'll enjoy spending my free time (good restaurants, shopping, other young professionals, etc.). I'd like to know what the different areas are like and how bad the commute would be. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 06:52 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,469,153 times
Thumbs up Thousand Oaks is a Tremendous Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
I'm a single woman in my mid-30s, currently living in Manhattan, but I've got a great job opportunity in Thousand Oaks, so I'm thinking about moving out to L.A. I'm going to be out there for additional interviews in a few weeks and they're going to have a relocation person take me around, but I want to have a better idea of what areas I'm interested in and which ones I'm not interested in before I get there. I've never lived in the L.A. area, but I want to know where the best places would be to live so I'm not in commuting hell, but I want to make sure it's still an area I'll enjoy spending my free time (good restaurants, shopping, other young professionals, etc.). I'd like to know what the different areas are like and how bad the commute would be. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!!
Hey Jmm,

How are you today, I've lived in the greater Los Angeles all twenty years, and I'm going to help you out. Thousand Oaks is located in Ventura County and is considered a great community by most, and is an hour without traffic Northwest of Downtown Los Angeles. Los Angeles and surrounding areas have great weather, including Thousand Oaks. The summer high is a dry, mid 90, mostly comfortable heat. I absolutely love New York City, but the summer humidity is kinda nasty. You'll enjoy the dry heat, it's very comfortable unless it's over a hundred. It does cool down at night to the high 60's. The winter low is the mid 30's at night to the low 60's during the day. The community does not have a big time feel like Manhattan. Ventura County has close to a half a million people, while it's neighbor Los Angeles County has 10.3 million. LOL If you could live very close to Thousand Oaks you would be in absolute heaven! Commute is terrible along the main artery in Ventura County, the 101 freeway. But, if you only commute ten miles you would probably be home in forty five minutes. Yeah, I know scary. If you could live in Thousand Oaks, you would be in absolute heaven. Your commute would be nothing, there's Westlake Village and Calabasas not to far away, these are excellent communities and your commute would be bliss. The beach is about thirty minutes away, and the mountains an hour and fifteen. OK I'm telling you the truth , Southern California beaches are much better than those on the East Coast, no offense. There is a ton to do in Southern California, restraunts, lots and lots of entertainment, and great shopping, you might have to travel a little for that one. Basically if you can afford a great community in Socal, and your job is close, you will love it! I hope I could help friend!! Anymore questions please ask! If you thought I was helpful, just click rate this post positively below my quote, that's a way of appreciating me of course if you don't mind. BTW, there's a ton of young people who migrate here from the East Coast.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:43 PM

989 posts, read 5,926,742 times
Default Thousand Oaks for a relaxing life.

Thousand Oaks is an excellent area. The people are extremely friendly, and don't road rage as bad as LA. It is 'suburban,' but it enjoys the benefits of LA and local shopping/bars. Malibu is only twenty minutes away. The area is known as the Conejo Valley. (Westlake Village($$), Newbury Park(nice), and Agoura Hills(nice) are all nearby.) It is very relaxing. You will need to head south on the 101 alot to play. Calabasas/West Hills/SFV is where civilization begins.

For a more "city life"- try SFV! You will want to rent/buy along the Ventura Blvd. corridor... Safe options are... Encino, Sherman Oaks, Tarzana(not too city), and Woodland Hills(not too city). If you go east of Sherman Oaks you can expect hectic traffic. I would actually recommend staying in Encino or West of Encino. Encino is only about 15 minutes to West LA/Westwood(without traffic). There are a lot of restaurants/bars/malls/shops in the Encino/Sherman Oaks area.

The commute from Encino to Thousand Oaks would be 30-40 minutes. It's a nice drive especially if you can avoid the congestion around the 405/101 interchange.(the most congested in the nation)

Old 02-10-2007, 08:19 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,340,471 times
Caution: coming from Manhattan, if you live in or near Thousand Oaks you may die of boredom. Above are some good suggestions for places to live.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:19 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
jmm, I always recommend that people live as close as they can to where they work. Traffic can be unpredictable, and there are quite a few people who live in the San Fernando Valley and commute out to Thousand Oaks. The 101 becomes very slow by 8:00 a.m. every morning.

There is a night life out in that area; you may have to drive to Agoura Hills, but that's only a few minutes away. But even if you wanted to be part of the Hollywood club scene, it's still easier to drive many miles only once a week vs. commuting to your job every single day.

I have a friend who relocated here from Boston; she's working and living in Thousand Oaks, and she really loves it so far. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County