Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:41 PM

19 posts, read 93,345 times

Advertisements

I'm showing properties in Ventura in 2 weeks. If you have the means to buy a place, that is the best option given the current market conditions. We haven't seen a buyers market like this since '87!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
As far as the Hospitals in the area you should feel secure. I am partial to Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura, but then I work there. It was the first in the area to get a CT scan machine, Davinci Surgical Robot, and MRI. CMH also is part owner Grossmans Imaging Centers, A west coast GE show site for the latest GE radiology and scanning equipment. If you are a Veteran you will probably end up using one of the Centers for Family Health clinics that CMH operates. The VA has a contract with the CMH clinic system and I can tell you that people in the Ventura County area appreciate that instead of driving to the VA hospital in LA.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:00 AM

299 posts, read 1,153,168 times
Smile The Best Place - Camarillo, Port Hueneme, Oxnard or Ventura Reply to Thread

jordanrbennett

Thank you for the offer, unfortunately I can't make it there. Might ask for a rain check in late 2011 or early 2012. Got a feeling I'm going to miss the good buys of 2008 and step back after all our, USA, financial woes are over. Great for our Nation, not that good for MACS (Ret). Should you desire to share some info with me either DM me or send a email, suggest you place 'Ventura County' in the subject line so I don't just delete it, to macsret1415@yahoo.com.

SOON2BNSURPRISE,

Yes, thanks to some fine people like yourself I have learned a bit about the different hospitals in Ventura County. You pegged me, I'm a veteran... disabled veteran and will certainly be using the VARO & VAMC in LA. Sure hope they (VA) do Fee Base me out to CMH for all of my treatment. Also, would you know if they (CMH) are a TRICARE provider?

BTW, I/we have two fantastic kids, both are taking Pharmacy Courses in College here in the Philippines. Would sure appreciate a POC Pharmacists or Pharm Tech to ask some questions to, especially if they hail from the Philippines.

Certainly appreciate both of your replies, sorry for taking so long to respond myself.

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines

Old 10-28-2008, 04:46 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Macsret,

Yes CMH is a Tricare provider. Are you talking about using Tricare in lieu of your VA benefits or for use by the family? I did have to call and ask in as much as my wife and I have little to do with the insurence aspect of the business. We are a VA provider for the Ventura County area and as a healthcare provider accept Tricare for military dependants and retired individuals.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:24 PM

299 posts, read 1,153,168 times
SOON2BNSURPRISE,

Thank you as you sure went 'above and beyond' simply replying to my question. Being a disabled veteran, I use the VA for many of my disabilities, however, I can also use TRICARE for both myself and my family, by that time it will just be my wife and I due them, our kids, growing up.... a sad fact of life.

Upon arriving and after checking into the VA they (VA) will schedule a group of appointments for me to been seen and will establish a VA Primary Care Physician for me. I will also have to enroll in TRICARE For Life (TFL) as at present I'm in TRICARE Standard. Nuff on that.

I/we are looking forward, more than I can tell you, to our move to Ventura County. Our two kids have only been to the states once and are READY to move there, especially due to the excellent weather. Having live all of their life, thus far, here in the Philippines they loved Canada and especially Ventura County. We are hopping they will complete all of the hoops, read that some courses and then the state tests, fairly fast and will be able to find jobs as Pharmacists. Wish them luck.

Best to you and your wife and hope to meet you when we make the big move.

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines
macsret1415@yahoo.com

Old 01-31-2009, 12:22 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
I have to step in here and give you my 2 cents. I live in Thousand Oaks, which is just over the hill from the cities you are considering.

If it were me, I'd choose Camarillo. I think it's generally the 'safest' of the cities you are looking at. Its more of a bedroom community than Ventura, which would be my second choice. Oxnard / Port Hueneme are not areas I would recommend people move into without a TON of research because what looks like a very nice street could be very close to a dangerous area. There is quite a bit of gang activity in both areas. We have a police scanner & at least 75% of the stuff we hear going on is in Oxnard. Whether or not it all shows up on the stats for the city, I have no idea. There just seems to be a lot of 'distrubances' every night in Oxnard.

Check out this website: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed. It shows that Oxnard is lower than the national average, but now plug in Camarillo and you'll see the difference plain as day. If my parents wanted to move to an unknown area - Oxnard would not be the place I'd suggest.

Camarillo is also close to Conejo Valley (Thousand Oaks, Camarillo, Westlake) where you'll have access to many doctors, Los Robles Hospital, large indoor mall which is currently being renovated, many restaurants, etc. You asked what the difference was between Pleasant Valley Hospital and Los Robles. I have only been to Pleasant Valley St Johns once, and at that time, it was fine. Here are both of their websites - take some time and review them to see what they offer: Los Robles and Pleasant Valley St Johns Only you know what special services you may need, or want in a hospital. Camarillo has a large, popular outlet mall. Also a couple of really nice golf courses, and easy access to many other areas of ventura county.

Another thing about Camarillo is that its not as cool as Oxnard/Ventura. Its a little more inland, but still very close to the ocean. So the sun will shine, and you'll have less fog. I dont know about your health, but some people have issues with the dampness in the air. I know my dad does - he feels much better in drier climates.

I have not looked at rents in those areas, so I am not sure about affordability. I just looked on craigslist and here is rental in Leisure Village (http://ventura.craigslist.org/apa/720018601.html - broken link) in Camarillo (if you are 55+) and right now it seems like the the Leisure Village homes range in the $200-$300k range for a 2 bedroom. Traditional homes are probably in the $350-$500k for a small decent house.

I am trying to give you my honest opinion. I am not trying to offend anyone who lives in Oxnard. I just think that Camarillo would be a better option.
I need more sq ft than that..what towns have houses around 2400 sq ft around 400k? Homes where they built onto older homes- I am not crazy about new construction of zero lot line subdivs..something on a hill maybe away from the highways and crowds? I am a writer - don't need schools or malls....but books and ducks are nice..thanks

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 06:34 AM..

Old 01-31-2009, 01:28 AM

283 posts, read 1,193,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
I need more sq ft than that..what towns have houses around 2400 sq ft around 400k? Homes where they built onto older homes- I am not crazy about new construction of zero lot line subdivs..something on a hill maybe away from the highways and crowds? I am a writer - don't need schools or malls....but books and ducks are nice..thanks
Best of luck to ya on that one but there are 14 such active listings in the area right now. 3 very rural or not really close by, 1 in Port Hueneme, 1 in Westlake Village (also has HOA), 2 each in Fillmore & Simi Valley then other 5 are in Oxnard.

From your requests though I would suggest Westlake first , then Simi & last Fillmore just because Fillmore is such a drive to get to to anything.

Send a direct message if you want more info and no I'm not a realtor. Just happened to finish buying similar to what your looking for though and not sure about passing this info along with some of the advertising rules. Best of luck.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Using redfin, I saw 2600 sqft for $350K in Oxnard.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:29 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Using redfin, I saw 2600 sqft for $350K in Oxnard.
Hi Charles,
I am new here what is a redfin? Is it like Realtor.com?
Thank you,
Den

Old 01-31-2009, 09:40 PM

17 posts, read 128,837 times
I prefer ziprealty.com for current real estate on the market. Use the Home Search function and search Ventura County, then choose which city you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County