Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should we go based on the criteria?
Santa Barbara 0 0%
Bakersfield 4 44.44%
San Luis Obispo 0 0%
Santa Cruz 5 55.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,694 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

My family and I would like to move out of San Diego in about a year's time. We are a young, frugal family that consists of me (20), my S/O (24) and our infant. I'm born and raised from Sacramento CA and my S/O was born and raised from here, in San Diego. Each of our families reside where we grew up in and we'd like to move to CenCal so we're equally away from both families. We'd also like to eventually and affordably get out of our living situation. Our budget to rent a home could be no larger than $2,000

I currently am a Certified Nursing Assistant and in a years time, I'd like to be working as a medical biller and coder/transcriptionist because I'd like a future career in a telecommuting position. I'm a new mom and would consider myself pretty crunchy (cloth diaper, organic eating, holistic medicine, clean consumer). I enjoy being near more naturally beautiful environments rather than city attractions. I hope to homeschool my child; Access to bookstores and shopping is a must. I love farmers markets, metaphysical, and holistic shops! I'd just like to be in an area where I can fine things within my interests (hippie-ish/alternative lifestyle things but I also like current and trendy things) while being in a more naturally beautiful and clean environment. Great college schooling options would be a major plus and being near the ocean is also a must.

My S/O works in the cannabis industry. He loves his job working in dispensaries and legal marijuana IS his hobby. Growing and smoking is what he loves to do along with promoting its medicinal power and using it in other forms. I'd have to move to an area where there is common interest in the cannabis scene. He's also a foodie (go figure) who loves to cook himself. Access to diverse cookings and foreign flavors is a huge plus along with streetwear shops.

Basically we'd just like to rent a home in a safe, affordable, family attractive area that has our interests in Central Cali. Please give me your opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 02:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Why is Bakersfield in your list if "being near the ocean is also a must"?

Oh, I would say that none of the 3 cities actually near the ocean are affordable for $2,000.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,694 times
Isn't Bakersfield only an hour away from the ocean?

Old 07-14-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom_ca View Post
Isn't Bakersfield only an hour away from the ocean?
Only if you're a crow. More like 2 -3 hours, because you'd be going over a mountain range. Anyway, Bakersfield doesn't meet any of your criteria.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bake...35.2827524!3e0

Old 07-14-2017, 03:09 PM

You might look at a place like Lompoc, but everything you want is in Santa Barbara, so you'd have to drive a lot all the time. Some areas can be dicey, some not. I don't know the town except from driving through it.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:57 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
I would say move to the Ojai area and live in Oak View. You would be inland but not too far from Santa Barbara. Plenty of what you are looking for in the Ojai area.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:57 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
I would put in a little more research ... start with what is central coast and what's near the ocean and what is affordable.

Don't move to Bakersfield.. it is a shi t hole...and has dirty air. Santa Barbara is nice but too expensive.

Why do you think Bakersfield is near the ocean?

Half of the cities you list are in South Cali, not Central Cali and you are posting this in the Ventura County forum ..neither of your chosen cities are in this county ... so do you include South Cali and Ventura County into your search?

Old 07-18-2017, 08:56 PM

266 posts, read 271,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom_ca View Post
who loves to cook himself.
That sounds kind of painful.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:45 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I would put in a little more research ... start with what is central coast and what's near the ocean and what is affordable.

Don't move to Bakersfield.. it is a shi t hole...and has dirty air. Santa Barbara is nice but too expensive.

Why do you think Bakersfield is near the ocean?

Half of the cities you list are in South Cali, not Central Cali and you are posting this in the Ventura County forum ..neither of your chosen cities are in this county ... so do you include South Cali and Ventura County into your search?
I always think of Ventura County as the farthest North county for Southern California. If LA County is in Southern California and it is east of Ventura County then we in Ventura County must also be in Southern California.

Bakersfield though, that amuses me as to how it can be compared to anything on the coast. I know people that live in Bakersfield and commute the nearly 2 hours to Ventura to work. When it snows on the Grapevine they are stuck either at home or at work until the snow clears.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:53 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,752 times
Would San Louis Obispo work maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County