Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,465 times

Advertisements

Yes, my husband and I have 8 children. 16 down to 20 months. We live in Michigan,but I want something new.
Yes, I do know the cost difference. Anyone else out there with a big family living CA and making it work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 10:06 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
Certain communities away from the coast that have lots of LDS living there have larger than average families in more abundance. In my hood I have not ever seen families of this size. I can remember a few (LDS of course) when I was a kid during the 1970s. That was in the Bay Area burbs, but those days are long gone in that rareified coastal area.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:12 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
California in general is a pretty live and let live place so I don't think there's any need to worry about how the size of your family will be viewed.

As you already know, the more important question is whether you can swing the cost of living here with a large family. That's probably the main reason large families aren't common in California.

If money is a concern and you want to be in an area where larger families are probably more common, check out St. George, Utah -- nice weather and lower cost of living/housing than just about anywhere in California.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-02-2017 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 10:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
I am the 2nd of 8. My wife is 6 of 6. We have 6 kids ages 25 to 10. I grew up a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, (LDS) My wife grew up Catholic. In our area we have lots of Mexicans and many of them have large families.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:44 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Be aware that many area schools in VC don't offer school bus services.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Be aware that many area schools in VC don't offer school bus services.
Very true. As a kid we always walked to school. Now parents seem to drop off the kids anywhere they need to be. Oxnard District does have buses. We were in the Rio District and our school did not have buses that I remember.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:17 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,697,686 times
With no family support in the area (ie. Someone to give or help you with housing) you'll Need about 50k in pre tax income per kid, so if u make 400k per year you'll be fine.

No one cares how big your family is so long as you can pay the bills.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:02 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
With no family support in the area (ie. Someone to give or help you with housing) you'll Need about 50k in pre tax income per kid, so if u make 400k per year you'll be fine.

Grossly exaggerated. The cost of living is extremely high.....But making stuff up doesn't help anyone.

My Daughter pays about 2400 month for a lovely condo in a great area of Oxnard. There is a neighborhood of houses and condos and apartments called River Park surrounding a lovely shopping area. Check this out. https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-collect...rpark-oxnard-2

OP I think the biggest concern would be jobs in whatever area of Calif. that you decide upon. I would hesitate to uproot a family of that size just for a change of scenery. Do your due diligence.....research many of the smaller town in Calif. I don't think a large family would be a big deal in many communities as long as you can support yourselves.

Also, the home page of City Data has some great information when you do a search for any city in the U.S. Lots of stats and information about demographics and costs of living etc. I'd start there. And, I've listed a few links that discuss the best towns to live in in Calif. for families.

I have been through Utah....I agree with the above poster about St. George Utah, lovely experience there.

Links to best Calif. towns to raise a family. Here are just a few. There were many more online.
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...ifornia/15993/
Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-25-2017 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: links added

Old 05-09-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

Why do you think that it will cost so much more that the normal family? Rent is a fixed cost. Utilities can go up a little but not double because you have that many more bodies. Lets take water. The yard is the biggest user of water in the home. The yard does not care if the home houses 2 people or 20. Cable cost will not increase based on number of people in the home.

If anything I am betting that people with more kids are more frugal with their money and can make it stretch further than those with fewer kids. I lived thru that as a kid and did it again as a parent of 6 kids.

I have no idea what it is people are thinking. Do people think that if a single person needs $50,000 to get by that 10 people will need $500,000 to get by? Kids don't need that much. It turns out that if a family buys a computer that people can share. If you have a trampoline in the back yard more people than one can use it. It turns out that not everyone needs to buy a car, and most kids can not drive anyway. Turns out families can get by with a large van or SUV. Or maybe a second car so the adults can drive.

I am always amazed at what people think it cost to raise kids. So few ever hit those numbers at all.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:50 AM

18 posts, read 19,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why do you think that it will cost so much more that the normal family? Rent is a fixed cost. Utilities can go up a little but not double because you have that many more bodies. Lets take water. The yard is the biggest user of water in the home. The yard does not care if the home houses 2 people or 20. Cable cost will not increase based on number of people in the home.

If anything I am betting that people with more kids are more frugal with their money and can make it stretch further than those with fewer kids. I lived thru that as a kid and did it again as a parent of 6 kids.

I have no idea what it is people are thinking. Do people think that if a single person needs $50,000 to get by that 10 people will need $500,000 to get by? Kids don't need that much. It turns out that if a family buys a computer that people can share. If you have a trampoline in the back yard more people than one can use it. It turns out that not everyone needs to buy a car, and most kids can not drive anyway. Turns out families can get by with a large van or SUV. Or maybe a second car so the adults can drive.

I am always amazed at what people think it cost to raise kids. So few ever hit those numbers at all.

It completely depends on expectations. For some, they want to send their kids to Groton, Yale and Harvard Medical School and have the kids come out with no debt. For others, having kids go to public schools and pay for college on their own is fine. Parameters need to be established before cost per child can be accurately computed. It also depends a whole lot on where someone lives. In Newport Beach, where I live, it is extremely expensive if you want to own a home. With 10 kids I would want a very large home, and where I live that is expensive. My wife and I don't have kids, and don't want them, but if I were to decide to have kids I would want them to be able to finish graduate school debt free. I'm not saying that is a requirement, the vast majority of people are not in that situation, but if you want your kids to have the gift of debt free college education it will be very pricey. Take UC Irvine, the resident tuition is about 15k per year, and that is ONLY tuition, it does not include living expenses. 50k per year per child sounds like a lot though, maybe the poster is thinking private schools and expensive neighborhoods. Unless the poster explicitly states what they consider to be normal expenses we really don't know where they got that figure from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County