Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 04:02 PM

112 posts, read 130,211 times

Advertisements

Rentals are very competitive. If you find one you want, don't hesitate because there will be multiple people going for the same place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 01:41 PM

8 posts, read 6,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoncontributor View Post
Also, Camarillo has unbelievably crazy amounts of crime...and really gnarly types of crime. At any given time, there are crazies roaming around the parks and seemingly safe neighborhoods. Camarillo only has 60,000 people! I've lived in large cities where I felt much safer than I did in Camarillo. There are lots of break ins and violent crime. Again, really out of line with the size of the city. I don't know what accounts for it. It's not uncommon for people to steal things out of your yard in the middle of the day.
This is very contrary to the data provided on this site. The crime index for Camarillo is quite low.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:18 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,852,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
This is very contrary to the data provided on this site. The crime index for Camarillo is quite low.
Crime is perceived higher in many places thanks to social media and the internet in general.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:20 PM

64 posts, read 174,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Rents are fairy stable. My coworker just bought a townhouse for under 500K. Single family detached home prices are through the roof. The problem is that many "cheap" townhomes come with a hefty monthly HOA fee.
Thank you, I hadn't seen any townhomes in that price range, but will need to look more closely. Condos, yes--with 500+ HOA fees. Ouch.

Any neighborhoods I should specifically look at, with schools being the highest priority?

Old 02-22-2021, 03:21 PM

64 posts, read 174,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanadoodle View Post
Rentals are very competitive. If you find one you want, don't hesitate because there will be multiple people going for the same place.
Thanks for the information. So it's not just homes for sale, but also rentals that are in super high demand, more than usual?

Old 02-23-2021, 09:19 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boroc7 View Post
Thank you, I hadn't seen any townhomes in that price range, but will need to look more closely. Condos, yes--with 500+ HOA fees. Ouch.

Any neighborhoods I should specifically look at, with schools being the highest priority?
Oak Park. The best performing schools are there due to a high % of Asian students (about 30-40%), mostly Chinese-American and Indian-American.

Here's an example listing:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...16496891_zpid/

$525K townhouse districted to Oak Hills Elementary (Proficiency: 85% English 75% Math). Any places with proficiencies in the 70's/80's are very high performing schools. There's a better school a half-mile away, but I don't see anything under $800K in that district. You might be able to do an intra-district transfer, but be prepared to fight tooth-and-nail for a spot (like get some guangxi with the PTA/principle/teachers) since all the Asian parents are doing the same thing. To be honest, though, it's probably not worth it for a few % on assessment test scores. All those schools are good.

Also, the Oak Park Community center gardens and park are really nice. It's a very pleasant little enclave if you like secluded suburbia.

Lots of scrubland around and lots of trees + winding roads in the neighborhoods make it vulnerable to fire, so keep your insurance payments current and your go-bag packed. The area is very rich, so the firefighters will do their best and employ full resources (air attack, ground teams), but sometimes there's nothing you can do if one sparks off in the wrong place in bad conditions.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:40 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,852,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boroc7 View Post
Thanks for the information. So it's not just homes for sale, but also rentals that are in super high demand, more than usual?
Rental homes in my area popped their rental rates 10 to 15% just in the past year alone.

Old 05-14-2023, 01:52 PM

16 posts, read 46,715 times
When did Thousand Oaks become so much nicer than west Ventura County (Ventura, Camarillo, Oxnard)?

I grew up in Ventura County and I don't remember there being such a drastic difference between the mall in Ventura and the mall in Thousand Oaks. Now ANYWHERE you go in west Ventura County you see (smell) at least one rolling meth lab in every parking lot, they are full of RVs and vans... but you don't see that over the grade in Thousand Oaks, it's amazing.

Is anyone else noticing meth labs all over Ventura County? All I can find is:

Head of drug unit: 'We're a meth county'
https://www.thecamarilloacorn.com/ar...a-meth-county/

Driving down Thousand Oaks Blvd for the first time in a while and Thousand Oaks Westlake is like a night and day different to Ventura/Oxnard. It's almost like Ventura has become Oxnard... it wasn't like this in the 1990's.

Even Camarillo with its college and outlet malls seems to have rolling meth labs and RVs parked everywhere.

I guess I don't get out enough but this drastic difference snuck up on me. I think I read somewhere that Thousand Oaks/Conejo Valley's wealth really boomed over the last 20 years.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:20 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,046 times
I don’t think this is anything new. TO has always been safer and cleaner. Some of it is due to weather. Winter lows are in the 30's/40's and summer highs can exceed 110, unlike the beach areas.

It's also a well-known fact that TO sends all their meth heads, transients, and trouble-makers to the jail on Victoria in Ventura. To get rid of a vagrant, TO cops just need an excuse to arrest them and dump them in Ventura's triangle of death. They’re not coming back up the hill because that would require the ability to buy a bus ticket, which is beyond most zombies. You can’t fare dodge easily on a long-range bus, unlike the trains out of Montalvo. But TO doesn’t have a rail stop, so the Zekes fan out to Oxnard, Camarillo, Simi, and the SFV/LA.

Downtown Ventura has gotten a lot nicer since they relocated the courts out to the Triangle of Death and made the old city hall just office space for city functions. The hobo jungle still feeds in vagrants, but the red shirt patrol chases them off Main St. so they keep to the avenue.

It’s actually been a low-zombie spring due to the bad weather. Now that things are warming up, drying out, and tourist money is back in town, they’re coming back out of the woodwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County