Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 02:28 PM

112 posts, read 130,211 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any additional insight of pros and cons between the two cities? Particularly as far as having school-aged children - schools, activities etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 12:28 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,852,680 times
They really aren't that different, but Camarillo and Moorpark are probably more alike. There are good schools in both towns and not good schools in both towns. TO has a bit of a higher rated school district. I would raise my kids in either one, for me the commute from Camarillo would have been a lot tougher so it was how I ruled it out. You can definitely get a newer home for a little cheaper in Camarillo but not a lot less. La Mariposa is a great school for my friends there.

The east side of TO is a very nice place to live and raise a family, particularly Westlake Village. But you have to budget at least 900k for an old house that needs work. There are a 1000 things for your kids to do in the conejo valley...its almost overwhelming.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:54 PM

430 posts, read 283,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
What are some pros and cons from Camarillo to Thousand Oaks. Camarillo's theater has an Imax where as the Thousand Oaks theater is overall nice. Both downtowns seem to be small with not alot of historic touch. Camarillo has an outlet mall where as Thousand Oaks has a high-end enclosed mall. Camarillo is closer to the beach, but TO is closer to LA. Camarillo wins it for affordability.

I am wondering who wins it for more access to hiking? Which has better dining or what are some differences in dining?
The Outlet mall in Camarillo is continually growing and the Oaks mall in T.O. is rapidly dying. IMHO the weather is better in Camarillo because it has a little more marine effect in the summers, and seems to get less wind when the Santa Anas are blowing. T.O. is much better for hiking, but it is a short drive from Camarillo to get there. T.O. is more frequently visited by the Calabasas/Malibu set than Camarillo, so you are much more likely to run across celebrities and such...and it also has considerably more Maseratis, Botox and silicone. There really isn't much of a "downtown" area in T.O. They are trying to create that effect along T.O. Blvd, but not sure it is working the way they thought it would. The extra taxation for that has upset many in T.O. especially those in the greater Newbury Park area where many don't really think they are getting much benefit from that. There seems to be a much more down-to-earth feeling from the people the more you go West from the "Westlake Village" part of T.O. (it is not really Westlake Village, but don't say that to anyone who lives there), to Newbury Park and Dos Vientos. We have always referred to the Conejo Grade as the Great Wall of Ventura County. It really does seem like some kind of divide. OTOH, I know a lot of really great people in East Ventura County and I am not putting it down, there just seems to be that feel. There are more dining options in T.O. and probably higher end shopping options, and it is a bit easier commute to L.A. Camarillo has better Mexican food and is a better commute to the beach or parts North. Different strokes for different folks, but if I had to choose I would prefer Camarillo.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:52 AM

112 posts, read 130,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude24 View Post
The Outlet mall in Camarillo is continually growing and the Oaks mall in T.O. is rapidly dying. IMHO the weather is better in Camarillo because it has a little more marine effect in the summers, and seems to get less wind when the Santa Anas are blowing. T.O. is much better for hiking, but it is a short drive from Camarillo to get there. T.O. is more frequently visited by the Calabasas/Malibu set than Camarillo, so you are much more likely to run across celebrities and such...and it also has considerably more Maseratis, Botox and silicone. There really isn't much of a "downtown" area in T.O. They are trying to create that effect along T.O. Blvd, but not sure it is working the way they thought it would. The extra taxation for that has upset many in T.O. especially those in the greater Newbury Park area where many don't really think they are getting much benefit from that. There seems to be a much more down-to-earth feeling from the people the more you go West from the "Westlake Village" part of T.O. (it is not really Westlake Village, but don't say that to anyone who lives there), to Newbury Park and Dos Vientos. We have always referred to the Conejo Grade as the Great Wall of Ventura County. It really does seem like some kind of divide. OTOH, I know a lot of really great people in East Ventura County and I am not putting it down, there just seems to be that feel. There are more dining options in T.O. and probably higher end shopping options, and it is a bit easier commute to L.A. Camarillo has better Mexican food and is a better commute to the beach or parts North. Different strokes for different folks, but if I had to choose I would prefer Camarillo.

Thank you! Can you tell me a little more about the tax differences? I was wondering about that.

We previously lived in Camarillo (in military housing) and definitely shopped at the outlets more than the TO Mall. And now there is a Cheesecake Factory in Oxnard, which was the main reason we went to the TO Mall lol.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:48 PM
DKM

Quote:
Some inaccuracies in this post to clear up. The Oaks Mall isn't "rapidly" dying. In fact its filing for a new expansion project. There is no extra taxation for a downtown TO project. Westlake Village was split into two pieces, the bigger 2/3rds was annexed by TO and the other 1/3 incorporated into its own city, but its all the same place to us who live here. I notice no difference in the people from east to west, they are all mostly down to earth and great.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:33 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanadoodle View Post
Thank you! Can you tell me a little more about the tax differences? I was wondering about that.

We previously lived in Camarillo (in military housing) and definitely shopped at the outlets more than the TO Mall. And now there is a Cheesecake Factory in Oxnard, which was the main reason we went to the TO Mall lol.
Sales tax rate for Ventura County is 7.25%

Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, and Moorpark have not increased the sales tax.

Oxnard and Ventura are 7.75%

Port Hueneme is 8.75%

Old 09-22-2019, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,102 times
Camarillo is a quirky place. Very expensive relative to what you get, and the vibe is surprisingly insular and blue collar for an area so close to LA.

The schools that are touted as “good” are mediocre and run by and for the benefit of the non-working moms. The obvious bias in school procedures in favor of these families is a bit shocking and reinforces the stereotype of Camarillo being a backward place to live.

Mind you, I’m sad to say all of this because I’m from the area and wish Camarillo could shake off the lower class vibe. But it won’t happen with poorly run schools (see also the current controversy with the school board elections. After being out of compliance for nearly 20 years, they then had the nerve to ***** and moan in the media re being dragged into compliance.)

You’re much better spending a little more to buy a house in Conejo or Oak Park school districts.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:08 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
FWIW: My brother has lived in Camarillo the past 30 years and before that in Thousand Oaks (where we grew up). Although he is happy with his house (no kids, just wife), he definitely would like to move back to Thousand Oaks. Factors include just a better layout of the TO, overall, and sunnier.

I moved away back in the 1990s from Newbury Park/Thousand Oaks, but if I could move back it would be Thousand Oaks over Camarillo-Ventura area, hands down. I worked in Camarillo for a few years and lived in Ventura for a couple years, but really missed the Conejo Valley. For me, I just could not get use to the cloudy mornings. TO just felt like home to me.

Last edited by smpliving; 09-23-2019 at 09:17 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 10:21 AM

430 posts, read 283,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Some inaccuracies in this post to clear up. The Oaks Mall isn't "rapidly" dying. In fact its filing for a new expansion project. There is no extra taxation for a downtown TO project. Westlake Village was split into two pieces, the bigger 2/3rds was annexed by TO and the other 1/3 incorporated into its own city, but its all the same place to us who live here. I notice no difference in the people from east to west, they are all mostly down to earth and great.
OK, I asked my friend in Newbury Park about the taxation for the Thousand Oaks Boulevard Specific Plan, and he advised it was not considered a tax, but called an impact fee that he had to pay as a homeowner. I know that the Oaks Mall has made many promises about great things in the future, but when I closed my store there in August of 2018, I was the 27th closure there that year. It is under new ownership now, and my understanding is that they are investing to modify it like some if the surviving malls have in other parts of the country (more food, activities, entertainment, less retail). I hope they are successful, T.O. could really use that. It will look very different though, all of the anchor stores there are teetering. That's just life in this age. Now they want me to return because we are boutique. Someone younger with fewer scars can take my place.

I didn't mean to imply anything negative about the people who are farther East in the area, just that there is a very different feel from one area to another, Just look at what is parked in the parking lots, the shoes, purses, etc. I have friends that will go from L.A. to Camarillo, Oxnard or Ventura, but don't like to stop in T.O. because of it. Other people love it because of that. I don't really care, but I was just letting the OP know that it is an issue for some.

As for Westlake Village, I just found it confusing and a little humorous. I wanted to open a store there. I found a location and was in the process of getting everything lined up with the County, when the owners decided they were going to use the space for something different. I found another location two blocks away, but I had to start the process all over again. The reason was "This location is in Westlake Village". The permits, fees, restrictions etc. with L.A. County convinced me quickly to abandon that idea. The Ventura County area of Westlake Village is a community in T.O. just like Newbury Park is. In my book, that certainly gives it a leg up, it just would be less confusing if it had a different name.

I'm never on here for contention, I like to share and I LOVE to hear what others think.

"The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it."

George Bernard Shaw

Old 09-23-2019, 02:16 PM
DKM

Quote:
The Ventura County area of Westlake Village is a community in T.O. just like Newbury Park is. In my book, that certainly gives it a leg up, it just would be less confusing if it had a different name.
You're right about that. I did a lot of research on the 2 sides of Westlake Village and the TO side wins in every aspect. Public safety/police/crime rates to start with. But it doesn't end there... however this is overall a pretty small difference. My point was that we don't differentiate the 2 "sides" at all. We spend the majority of our time in our bubble between the Hampshire exit and Target...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County