Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:42 AM

56 posts, read 106,775 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the tip, but this is an important topic (for me) which is why I raised it. I don't enjoy discussing politics in 'real life', however, it's important to get a sense of what people's views are (I mentioned SOCIAL views as well). This is why it's good to get a varied number of replies as I've gleaned a bit from each one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 06:06 PM

642 posts, read 2,551,459 times
I have friend that has lived there for about 30 years. she said the old generation is still hanging on with their claws (council I think) and dont like the bars etc open past the 9 pm that shut down the town in the 90s. Some do stay open longer now thank God. But when they finally have to let go the area will make more changes.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:50 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notafan View Post
Compared to other city data forums. I would like to get a few more comments to get a greater sense of this since it can be objective. Your initial reply was very helpful, thank you.
I have posted a question in quite a few forums that went unanswered for days and maybe one or two answers weeks out. If you look at many of the smaller states you will see less traffic their than here in the Ventura County Forum. Maybe you are comparing this forum to the San Diego forum or the LA forum. You had answers to your question the first day of posting.

We are neither Red or Blue. We are purple. Do not look to who was elected. Look at the margin. Tony Strickland ran a close campaign and lost by just a few votes. Other races have had a similar effect. Republicans can win in Ventura County. Every election cost money for either party and the person running.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
I have friend that has lived there for about 30 years. she said the old generation is still hanging on with their claws (council I think) and dont like the bars etc open past the 9 pm that shut down the town in the 90s. Some do stay open longer now thank God. But when they finally have to let go the area will make more changes.
I don't know of any bars that close at 9pm. State law sets the closing time at 2am.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:24 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,361 times
Personally, I've never felt a "vibe" one way or another. I've lived from Ventura to Riverside Counties and in between. By and large Southern California, outside a few notable areas, seems more libertarian than anything though people identify as democrat or republican. Most people are working hard to get ahead and exhibit a live and let live attitude. Honestly, we're too busy to be hung up on what our neighbors political views are. If you're able to relate to and understand where people are coming from it won't be an issue. Unfortunately, live and let live is not viable for politicians which is why they take the more extreme positions that plague us.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:02 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Anecdotally speaking about Oxnard/Ventura, I have freinds who self-identify as social-concervative Repubicans, but in practice are more like social libertarians. I also have friends who refer to themselves as socially liberal, in so far as being a Democrat makes one liberal, but hold social snobberies that seem to me at odds with liberal values.

My guess is that the area is moderate and about 60/40 split Democrat/Republican. On fiscal issues, there is little difference. Some people complain more than others about public spending, but everyone seems to tolerate the way public money is raised and allocated.

That all said, mostly people in Ox/Ven avoid deep political discussion, which allows for nice friendships even though we know that we don't always see eye to eye. Political leanings in Ventura County in general never struck me as extreme.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:08 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,097 times
I grew up in Simi and lived there until recently/last few years. I am very liberal Democrat and grew up with Dem parents, it was fine. But as an adult come election time all those signs going up all over my neighborhood that I vehemently disagreed with and I felt very much in the minority there. There are a lot of Mormons and Catholics in Simi, and they tend to run right. So add those two together (and I did grow up Christian, too, FWIW) and it was a sickening feeling for a while that time of year. The rest of the year, however, I had did not run into any issues.

Old 07-04-2021, 05:04 PM

11 posts, read 11,142 times
Can you be more specific, what areas are you referring to. Oxnard is very different than Westlake Village and so is Simi Valley to Agoura hills and Moorpark to Oak Park.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:29 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
I grew up in Thousand Oaks but left in 1994 for the Midwest. My brother still lives in Camarillo and my mother who lived in Thousand Oaks recently died. Politics was never a big issue growing up. Even as a young adult and parent I never heard people talking politics and could care less. I did feel strongly about women’s reproductive rights but kept it to myself.

Moving to the Iowa … OMG. At the neighborhood parties one mom exclaimed that abortion is murder in front of our kids. I still can’t figure out what the heck brought the issue up. Other moms encouraged me to attend their churches to be “saved.” They couldn’t understand why transplants didn’t want to attend their functions. Another mother trashed the Democrats in front of our children. She didn’t realize I was a Democrat at the time. I was flabbergasted and said nothing. Then asked if I was a Republican and when I said no, she asked why I attended an event for President George Bush …. (when he was President). I said because he’s the President (wtf??). This was not a campaign event. I was naive. I just thought it would be neat to see a President in person.

I could go on about the abortion issue and my former boss at work. But you get the idea.

These days the Iowa Governor promotes and praises the leader of the Iowa religious (labeled a hate group by many) organization, the “FamilyLeader,” Bob Vander Plaats, who equates homosexuality to incest and that they’re like “fathers having sex with their daughters.” During the height of the pandemic the Governor and local Republican politicians held Trump rallies despite the pleas to stop them from Iowa’s leading infectious disease doctors at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. 6600 Iowans died of covid.

I regret leaving California with all my heart. Although the first few years it was neat to experience traveling to other states since we lived in the middle of the country.

Last edited by smpliving; 07-20-2021 at 10:39 AM..

Old 10-20-2021, 10:59 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notafan View Post
Thanks for the tip, but this is an important topic (for me) which is why I raised it. I don't enjoy discussing politics in 'real life', however, it's important to get a sense of what people's views are (I mentioned SOCIAL views as well). This is why it's good to get a varied number of replies as I've gleaned a bit from each one.
I am not sure how this topic is important to you but you don't want political discussions.

I live here in Camarillo now. I know republicans and I know democrats. You can avoid whichever side you want or be part of it. Like everywhere else, only democrats will hold your political opinions against you if you are not on their side. I don't have any republican friends who push their agenda on me. I am somewhere in the middle and avoid politics with my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County