Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 02:58 AM

335 posts, read 974,608 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for a safe suburb for a family if a job is
located in Oxnard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 01:34 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
I always looked at us as a suburb here in Oxnard. Compared to the Nation, most places here are safe. Oxnard is on the list as one of the safest cities of its size in the USA.

Here are my thoughts within the city of Oxnard:

Riverpark to the far North of the city. It is almost a city unto it self. Mostly townhome, patio home living. Nearly all condensed. Still, lots of parks within the master planned community. They have a newer K thru 5th school and next door to that is a 6th thru 8th Middle school. Both schools were built within the last 6 years. Oxnards newest attraction, The Collection, is a fun shopping experience within the Riverpark community. It is home to a 16 screen movie complex. Toby Keiths I Love This Bar and Grill opens soon, a Yardhouse is on site. One of the most interestingly built Targets in the nation is right there.

Victoria Estates and River Ridge. More upscale in setting. The 36 hole River Ridge golf course is set within both developments. River Ridge was built in the 90's. Homes are a bit older. Most are large homes. At the peak of the market these were going for into the low 7 figures. Larger lots at River Ridge than at Victoria Estates. With Victoria Estates you have a gated neighborhood. They also have their own walk thru gate across the street from the K thru 5th Grade school. (It was a K thru 6 but this is the last year for that.) (My kids go to Marshall.)

Fremont North. Not only do I love this neighborhood but I live there as well. It is made up of homes that were built in the late 1950's to 1970's. When we moved there in 2010 many people were telling us that we were lucky to get in. Turns out that homes do not often sell there and it is mostly quiet. Home lots are mostly about 6,000 square feet. It is older, but not bad. The homes are all built well.

Other places that I would consider are West Village near Pacifica High School. Lots of newer homes, but on smaller lots. I think they range in the 4,500 square foot range in size, not a lot of room accept for maybe a patio. North of Vineyard and East of Ventura road is very nice. We wanted to own a home there as our kids had been attending Rio Del Norte school. We still like it there as well.

The fact is that most North side neighborhoods will be nice.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:04 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,341,870 times
yeah, oxnard camarillo and ventura are all pretty much one big suburb, would be connected to Thousand Oaks if there wasn't a giant hill in the way.

Read around on the forum, look at maps it will start to make sense.

I have heard that in the oxnard area the schools are best in Camarillo

Old 02-28-2014, 03:19 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
OK A few minutes more to continue. I hate it when work gets in the way of City Data Forum. LOL

Here is a better way to do this.

You should be fine in most parts of Oxnard. You may not want to live in Colonia, Rose Park, the South Side south of Wooley Road between Ventura Road on the west and Oxnard Blvd to the east. Lemonwood is an area that I don't like.

Camarillo is nice in most areas. You may not want to live near Barry street, I am saying that and my wifes aunt lives near Barry street. I would be hard pressed to tell you anywhere else in Camarillo that you would not want to live. It is mostly a family focused city. I like it and have many friends that live there. Three coworkers live in Village of the Park in Camarillo.

Port Hueneme will be hit and miss. I grew up there and have no problems with most of Port Hueneme. Still it will be a place that you will want to check out for yourself and make your own educated guess.

For public High Schools realize that they all have a differant focus. We like Pacifica. It is the newest to date high school and the District caters to it, it has a Performing arts focus and a Culinary arts focus. Channel Islands has a SEA certification program for those wanting to work on Cars. I went to Hueneme and would not suggest it for now. Camarillo is getting a new High School next year I think. They are over capacity at Camarillo High. The truth is all the high schools are over capacity. Some programs are magnet programs and it will not matter where you live.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:45 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
My daughter lives in River Park..it is a great area. You can walk the couple of blocks to a huge shopping area...which calling it a shopping area is a disservice, it is about 4 blocks of beautiful, eclectic restaurants, shops, eateries...incl. World Market...too many to list. Homes to buy, apartments and condos to lease...Beautiful walking trails, fountains, dog parks too. I'd check that area out first.
River Park Overview
Home - The Collection Riverpark

Old 03-05-2014, 09:50 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,644 times
Wilson, Marina West, Via Marina, Seabridge (if you can afford it), Fremont (north and south), College Park, Orchid Park, Southbank and Riverpark are among my favorites in Oxnard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County