Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:37 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,898 times

Advertisements

More than 1,000 participants are expected this week in Simi Valley for the annual Freedom Walk on the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

This is the fifth year the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum will host the America Supports You Freedom Walk to honor the victims of 9/11, as well as troops overseas and war veterans.

The Freedom Walk is also sponsored by Military Connection, an online information resource for all branches of the military.

The America Supports You Freedom Walk was created in 2005 to establish a national tradition of remembrance of the lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001. More than 1,500 people participated in last year’s Freedom Walk at the Reagan Library.

This year’s 1.8-mile walk will go from the library, at 40 Presidential Drive, to Rancho Madera Community Park, 556 Lake Park Drive, off Wood Ranch Parkway. The walk is one of many that will occur throughout the nation that day.

The walk is free, but registration is required.

Refreshments will be available at the park, and walkers will be shuttled back to the library after the event. The Air National Guard Band of the Southwest is providing post-program musical entertainment at the park.

The event begins at 5 p.m. and will include guest appearances and speeches by actor Gary Sinise, founder of the Gary Sinise Charitable Foundation; Capt. James J. McHugh, commander of Naval Base Ventura County; and Scott Strauss, former chief of the Mineola Volunteer Fire Department.

Strauss, who worked for the New York Police Department’s SWAT and rescue teams, was off duty on 9/11 when he drove directly to lower Manhattan after the first plane hit and became a key figure in the three-hour rescue of Will Jimeno and Sgt. John McLoughlin, former Port Authority police officers who were trapped beneath the World Trade Center rubble.

The heroic efforts of Strauss and his fellow rescue workers are depicted in Oliver Stone’s 2006 movie “World Trade Center.”

Through Sept. 30, the library, in conjunction with Simi Valley-based “For The Troops,” will also be collecting items in the Reagan Library’s main lobby for U.S. soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. Items must be unwrapped and in original packaging, and can include packets of trail mix, peanuts, gum, hard candy and beef jerky; snacks that are not heat sensitive and will not melt in hot temperatures; individual packets of lemonade or Crystal Light for water bottles; CDs and DVDs; used video games; AA batteries; stationery; and pre-paid phone cards. Only miniature hygiene items will be accepted.

To register for the Freedom Walk, go to REAGANFOUNDATION.ORG | CALENDAR OF EVENTS : ANNUAL AMERICA SUPPORTS YOU FREEDOM WALK.

The first 1,000 people who register for the walk will receive a free “Freedom Walk” T-shirt and an American flag.

For more information, call the Reagan Library at 522-2977.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Here is one you may want to attend. Tickets are $45 Colbie Caillat joins Ventura Hillsides Conservancy Benefit

Ventura County Reporter - Homecoming queen

Old 09-23-2010, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 15,048 times
Friday, 24 September 2010, Friday night Cruise nights in Camarillo. Ventura Blvd. 5-8 P.M. Free.
link http://www.socalcarculture.com/Image..._Camarillo.pdf.

Lance

Old 10-17-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Ghost Tours:
Strathearn Historical Park and Museum

For all details, please visit the Strathearn Historical Park and Museum's website at Welcome to the web site for Strathearn Historical Park and Museum and click on events
Hubby and I went to this historical ghost tour last night and we really enjoyed it. As advertised, it is extremely "family friendly" and there is nothing to frighten the little ones (or even the older ones ). For those new to Simi Valley it is a nice way to get a quick history of our town, from the days of the Chumash all the way to Grandma Prisbrey. The children who narrate the beginning of each tour section are quite the little professionals, as well as very endearing. The adult actors play their parts well and are highly entertaining.

Our favorite historical scenario? The re-telling of the story about May Otis Blackburn and her cult, known as the Blackburn Cult, the Divine Order of the Royal Arms of the Great Eleven, or the Great Eleven Club. The parts of May Blackburn and her daughter Ruth were fantastically played, and the young man who played the part of the "ice boy" was also very good. The period clothing for that era worn by the actors was accurate from head to toe.

I give this a three thumbs up!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:30 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,768 times
That's cool that you went! I went several years ago and found it enjoyable as well.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
This is over in Piru. I have never been to the festival but it should be fun and you do get to visit the historic ranch and buildings that were featured in the film. I know your all wondering how you missed watching "Ramona" the film. It was filmed as a silent film in 1910.

Ramona Days festival in Piru to show Pickford film » Ventura County Star

Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
This is over in Piru. I have never been to the festival but it should be fun and you do get to visit the historic ranch and buildings that were featured in the film. I know your all wondering how you missed watching "Ramona" the film. It was filmed as a silent film in 1910.

Ramona Days festival in Piru to show Pickford film » Ventura County Star
Rancho Camulos, the setting for the story, Ramona.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:46 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,119 times
There will be a Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving day in Ventura. I was thinking about doing this but I now have another appointment! Darn it!

Here's the info:
Altitude 27 Athletic Events (http://www.altitude27.com/events.html - broken link)

Monies raised benefits the Red Cross

Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,119 times
Anyone want to sign up for the Santa to Sea 5K in Oxnard on 12/12/2010????

Santa To The Sea Half Marathon Relay & Fun Run

I think I am going to sign up...I need to make a silly costume for it though...that might be harder than doing the race! They also have half marathon but I am not doing that! LOL!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
Anyone want to sign up for the Santa to Sea 5K in Oxnard on 12/12/2010????

Santa To The Sea Half Marathon Relay & Fun Run

I think I am going to sign up...I need to make a silly costume for it though...that might be harder than doing the race! They also have half marathon but I am not doing that! LOL!!!
I would love to, but my new exercise routine at the moment is limited to brisk walking, short hikes and my magic weighted hula hoop, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County