Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 03:48 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times

Advertisements

I have a number of health issues and I was told by my doctors that they might be mitigated by switching to a Vegan diet. I thought that I was eating healthy before, I truly did. I only eat dairy once or twice a week and meat once a week or less. I only eat ultra processed foods once every couple of months.

I tried to switch to a vegan diet. But after two months, I experienced ravaging insatiable hunger. All the vegan recipes I have tried so far tasted like mud, bleakness, and despair. It seems that my body craves fat, salt, and sugar. I truly want to do better but, so far, I can't stand a vegan diet. It gives me gas, nausea, ravenous hunger, and acute depression. If you can, please suggest some vegan recipes that actually taste good.

If you can do this, Thank You So Very Much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 04:06 PM

333 posts, read 153,016 times
To be honest, I am nowhere close to being vegan/vegetarian, but we make this dish regularly and it is fantastic.

Channa Masala

Old 12-04-2023, 04:50 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I like curry, so maybe explore different brands, & use those on beans, lentils or tofu. I am not vegan, but eat lentil curry often.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:32 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Umm, it sounds like the vegan diet is giving you symptoms of other illnesses? At the very least, it's making you miserable. Life is short enough.

It's sort of like sometimes the side effects of a prescription drug are worse than the possible benefits. Especially when a doctor says it "might" help.

(Please note that I am not making any comment about the general health benefits of a vegan diet - my comments are only directed at this OP experience. )

Old 12-05-2023, 09:33 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
In the Seventies I bought a copy of the "Moosewood Cookbook." It's full of good vegetarian recipes. We aren't vegetarian but eat vegetarian meals often.

I see the "New Moosewood Cookbook" is advertised as both vegan and vegetarian. Maybe give it a look. The old one is user-friendly.

Something I've learned from changing my diet is that it takes some time for your body to adjust. There was a time when a sprig of broccoli without a sauce or seasoning on it would have been tasteless to me. But over time I have adjusted to being able to taste the varied sweetness, saltiness, greeness of plain broccoli.

The depression may have a basis in physical changes but here's a reminder that changing your habits is often accompanied with sadness. You may be grieving a loss. That does abate with time.

No need for you to comment here but it might be worth exploring how much you used food to alter your mood. If food was where you found comfort for uncomfortable feelings you would definitely benefit from getting some information about eating disorders.

They don't have to be severe to be there. I think many of us seek out sugar or fat to treat the unpleasantries of life. You never even realize how much you depend on them until you can't.

A new way to look at the change?

Old 12-05-2023, 09:41 AM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I have a number of health issues and I was told by my doctors that they might be mitigated by switching to a Vegan diet. I thought that I was eating healthy before, I truly did. I only eat dairy once or twice a week and meat once a week or less. I only eat ultra processed foods once every couple of months.

I tried to switch to a vegan diet. But after two months, I experienced ravaging insatiable hunger. All the vegan recipes I have tried so far tasted like mud, bleakness, and despair. It seems that my body craves fat, salt, and sugar. I truly want to do better but, so far, I can't stand a vegan diet. It gives me gas, nausea, ravenous hunger, and acute depression. If you can, please suggest some vegan recipes that actually taste good.

If you can do this, Thank You So Very Much!!!!
I know it's not what you asked, but...

I might get a few more opinions from different doctors if I was you. A vegan diet isn't exactly healthy either. A vegan diet is usually low in protein, healthy fats, many necessary nutrients (vitamins and minerals), and is much more expensive than eating healthy, aside from the other negatives you listed.

There may be other reasons for your issues that different doctors might find. I just think going vegan is an extreme measure.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:49 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Your original diet sounds acceptable in any issues with health.
As you don’t indicate the area of health you are trying to improve - we can’t give you more details.

If it is gastro? - perhaps you have low digestive enzymes and need to address that..going vegan at this point will definitely create the symptoms you have; not healthy.
Another point: plants have no legs to run away from predation - so they each have a specific chemical/bio defense against plant eaters.
Name any vegetable considered healthy and I could tell you how it may harm you.

In strict religions - during very strict lents - Eastern Orthodox comes to mind , the priests even dispensed a special permission for sick, pregnant, elderly and children- so they could stay healthy and eat meat and dairy during extensive lents.

(I have read that even tsars were not allowed anything cooked on certain days - so servants just warmed up cold pickles for them with black bread - that is all they were allowed to eat - that is how strict those lents were )

Is it cardio? Your meat twice a week won’t hurt you. The diet contributes very little harm unless you are intolerant , allergic to certain foods or subsist on highly processed diet with harmful additives.

Try to eat small amounts of simple meals cooked from scratch. Follow what you feel like eating - meat, fish, eggs, cooked veggies and grains?

Don’t overeat: they say it takes 20 min to feel satiated; chew slowly - that how it helps you with the digestive enzymes.
Don’t drink liquids with meal; do it between meals

There was a research I have read that people did paradoxically better on low fiber diet vs recommended currently high fiber diet.

Listen to your body. The doctors aren’t infallible and quite often ignorant in wider areas of expertise.
(Until recently coke, mercury, arsenic and smoking were promoted by doctors; not even talking about the harms they did in psychiatric treatments)

I would check the side effects of any meds you are taking - that could be the culprit if you are taking some

Last edited by L00k4ward; 12-05-2023 at 01:04 PM..

Old 12-05-2023, 12:58 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Try to veganize things you already like, maybe pasta with a cashew cream sauce and veggies.

No one knows your palate, so hard to advise. I guess I'm eating vegan right now and did for breakfast unintentionally.

I had oatmeal with protein powder and topped with soy milk (the protein powder adds sweetness too). Right now I'm eating garbanzo beans with dressing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2023, 02:00 PM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Try to veganize things you already like, maybe pasta with a cashew cream sauce and veggies.

No one knows your palate, so hard to advise. I guess I'm eating vegan right now and did for breakfast unintentionally.

I had oatmeal with protein powder and topped with soy milk (the protein powder adds sweetness too). Right now I'm eating garbanzo beans with dressing.

Just wanted to say this is hysterical, and sooo true!!!

Mikala43
Welcome to adulthood, hope you like Ibuprofen

Old 12-05-2023, 05:53 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
If a doctor told me to switch to a nutrient deficient diet to combat health issues, I'd switch doctors.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food