Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 06:01 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

Saying this with love--it will take you time to adjust your taste buds from fatty, salty, sugary to the tastes of vegetarian foods.

A different taste than you're used to.

Give yourself a month or so to make the switch and those" ghastly" vegetarian foods will start tasting delicious!

Google a recipe for lentil/split pea soup. Easy to make, a one pot meal. Very nutritious and filling. Quite "meat-like" too. Filling the way meat can be...but without the fat...and economical to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 06:12 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Saying this with love--it will take you time to adjust your taste buds from fatty, salty, sugary to the tastes of vegetarian foods.

A different taste than you're used to.

Give yourself a month or so to make the switch and those" ghastly" vegetarian foods will start tasting delicious!

Google a recipe for lentil/split pea soup. Easy to make, a one pot meal. Very nutritious and filling. Quite "meat-like" too. Filling the way meat can be...but without the fat...and economical to make.

Absolutely. But I would advise cutting out one of those every couple weeks, that way you don't make such a large jump in flavor.

Soups are such a great way to accomplish more nutrient dense food.

Depending on one's personal taste, start the elimination which the one dislike the most. If you have a sweet tooth, eliminate fat, or whatever it is for you.

Find out what cuisines you like that have a lot of spice. South American? Indian? Mediterranean? Spices, fresh herbs, citrus, garlic can all make food taste good without a lot of salt or fat.

I think diving straight in will make failure more likely. Start slowly, like 3 vegan meals a week. Imitation meats are very processed, but can make your transition easier.

Coincidentally, tonight's dinner is vegan, vegetable lo mein with sesame sauce. Because you are doing this for health instead of moral reasons, you can still use some stuff to make you meal more palatable to you (chicken broth, fish sauce, oyster sauce, etc.).

Maybe go out to a highly rated vegan restaurant and see what you like and to get ideas.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2023, 07:56 PM

6 posts, read 2,048 times
I have a great selection of vegan recipes on my blog BlacksGoingVegan.Com. 98% of them I created myself, the others were sent in by site visitors. I haven't updated it but the recipes are still there and still fabulous. Not you usual unseasoned vegan food.

www.blacksgoingvegan.com

Old 12-05-2023, 10:16 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Not all doctors are knowledgeable doctors, so I suggest doing your own research online because you know your medical problems better than anyone else on earth. It sounds like your doctor was just making an assumption that a vegan diet could help you, and anyway, from the sound of it you're already eating a healthy diet. So a vegan diet isn't going to magically fix anything, it will probably just cause problems, especially w/ getting used to it.

I was on a vegetarian diet for years and just kept gaining weight. Dead animals break down in our digestive system a lot slower than veggies, so I was always eating because I was always hungry. Also, vegetarian diets are notoriously high in calories. Just one single avocado is more calories than 2 servings of salmon! Believe me, you will feel full a lot longer on the salmon than on one crummy avocado, especially if you bike like I do every day. Nuts too, they are amazingly high in calories.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:12 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
OP, I second the Moosewood Cookbook. The recipes are flavorful and largely satisfying.

Old 12-06-2023, 09:02 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
If you're wondering about the benefits of vegan, try looking up studies on vegan/omnivore twins.

A quick one: https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...ovascular.html
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-06-2023, 10:50 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I have a number of health issues and I was told by my doctors that they might be mitigated by switching to a Vegan diet. I thought that I was eating healthy before, I truly did. I only eat dairy once or twice a week and meat once a week or less. I only eat ultra processed foods once every couple of months.

I tried to switch to a vegan diet. But after two months, I experienced ravaging insatiable hunger. All the vegan recipes I have tried so far tasted like mud, bleakness, and despair. It seems that my body craves fat, salt, and sugar. I truly want to do better but, so far, I can't stand a vegan diet. It gives me gas, nausea, ravenous hunger, and acute depression. If you can, please suggest some vegan recipes that actually taste good.

If you can do this, Thank You So Very Much!!!!
Why do you consider meat and dairy to be unhealthy? Doesn't your experience suggest otherwise?

Old 12-06-2023, 11:49 AM

523 posts, read 245,129 times
What foods have you tried that you don’t like?

Old 12-07-2023, 06:20 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
I have a number of health issues and I was told by my doctors that they might be mitigated by switching to a Vegan diet. I thought that I was eating healthy before, I truly did. I only eat dairy once or twice a week and meat once a week or less. I only eat ultra processed foods once every couple of months.

I tried to switch to a vegan diet. But after two months, I experienced ravaging insatiable hunger. All the vegan recipes I have tried so far tasted like mud, bleakness, and despair. It seems that my body craves fat, salt, and sugar. I truly want to do better but, so far, I can't stand a vegan diet. It gives me gas, nausea, ravenous hunger, and acute depression. If you can, please suggest some vegan recipes that actually taste good.

A vegan diet can contain plenty of fat, salt, and sugar. Living on Doritos, Coca-Cola, beer, and Wonder Bread is a vegan diet, but not healthy. If what you need is to reduce fat, salt, and sugar, then blame the blandness of your diet on the absence of fat, salt, and sugar, and your failure to fill in with things that have taste in themselves, not on the absence of animal products.

If one wanted to put together a strictly vegan diet for moral reasons (because that's why people do it; eliminating a small amount of animal product doesn't have a health effect), one could cook meals like this, for example:

Corn on the cob grilled with olive oil rather than butter
Stewed okra with tomatoes, sauteed onions and garlic (sauteed in olive oil rather than butter)
Vegetable soup - tomatoes, potatoes, corn, onions, green beans, chickpeas, seasoned with Tabasco sauce or Red Devil
Italian ciabatta or french baguette with olive oil to dip
Apple crumble with graham cracker crust, or a fruit compote

Now if you're not trying to eliminate animal products for moral reasons, but simply hoping to eat a healthier diet, you could add some things like buttermilk cornbread (nothing but cornmeal, baking powder, and buttermilk); or a frozen low fat yogurt for dessert; steamed or baked fish, just cooked with a dab of olive oil, not swimming in butter; grilled chicken breasts, and so on. Sure, you want to keep your meat consumption down - red meat the least of all, poultry in moderation (no skin or fat), white fish and shellfish OK in somewhat larger amounts, but steamed grilled or baked, not deep fried, small oily fishes (sardines, herring), larger oily fishes (salmon) - the oily fishes also in moderation.

Old 12-07-2023, 06:53 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:

That hunger you describe sounds like insulin resistance to me. It sounds like you were eating more carbs than your body could handle and your blood sugar was spiking and falling leaving you jittery and hungry.

A rice, potato, pasta, corn, sugar based will do that to you. You might want to buy a blood sugar monitor to and track your readings to understand how your body is reacting to your diet.

One of my favorite vegetarian (I assume vegan) foods is a black bean burger crumbled onto a corn tortilla, topped with green pepper, tomatoes, lettuce, black olives, avocado and seasoned with salsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food