Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:22 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,130,776 times

Advertisements

I really have to stop going to Burger King and buying bags of Impossible Whoppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 04:56 PM

306 posts, read 547,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Thanks for your response. I admire your commitment. I did a little research and found Pat Brown's eloquent statement about the decision to test after the FDA had questions when Impossible submitted their GRAS (generally recognized as safe) notification. I oppose animal testing but am OK with the decision that Impossible made. It was a tough one. ....... Pat O. Brown CEO & Founder of Impossible Foods

Thank you for the above post. I was informed that I couldn't increase your rep, so I'll just thank you here

Old 06-16-2019, 11:22 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,714,341 times
They are now being released in Bay Area BK's!

https://sf.eater.com/2019/6/10/18659...-king-bay-area

There's a chain of restaurants called Islands and I had their Impossible burger recently.

I know not all people agree, but my burger tasted SO much like real beef, especially the texture. Can't wait to give the Whopper Impossible a try soon.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:44 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,589,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I am certain they will not have a separate broiler just for the Impossible Burger, so if cross contamination is an issue for you, that is something to consider. As for the bun, the current sesame seed bun they use appears to be vegan:

SESAME SEED BUN. BURGER KING® Unbleached Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid), Water, Sugar and/or Liquid Sugar (Water, Sugar), Soybean Oil, Yeast.

Many people would argue that the Impossible Burger isn't vegan, anyway, and even they call themselves plant based, not vegan, and they fully admit their target audience is meat eaters.

Thanks for sharing the ingredients. this is not directed at you. It's just general info.

The bun is far worse for you than the original burger. Any of today's nutritionists will tell you that. You don't have to be "vegan", "paleo", or "keto". This burger means you'll be eating plants and white/wheat bread and faking the gullible young public for a profit.

The converted sugar from the bread is very, very, very bad for you. It's no wonder Americans have so many medical issues later in life. If they want a true healthy burger, use cauliflower bread instead like these newer pizzas in the frozen food aisle. Not sure how they make it bready but it's healthier yet taste terrible without tomato sauce. I tried one and that was enough. I'll stick with a gluten-free thin crust, thank you.

And, no I am not any of those new fad type eaters. I have yet to hear of any person who was paleo, vegan, keto etc that has lived healthy into their 90s. These new diets or lifestyles are not some fountain of youth. I've done a lot of reading on this since 2011. Only the sensible folks who ate naturally grown chicken, eggs, non-hormone beef & pork, non-pesticide fruits & vegetables, occasional dessert or glass of wine.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:18 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,309,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Thanks for sharing the ingredients. this is not directed at you. It's just general info.

The bun is far worse for you than the original burger. Any of today's nutritionists will tell you that. You don't have to be "vegan", "paleo", or "keto". This burger means you'll be eating plants and white/wheat bread and faking the gullible young public for a profit.

The converted sugar from the bread is very, very, very bad for you. It's no wonder Americans have so many medical issues later in life. If they want a true healthy burger, use cauliflower bread instead like these newer pizzas in the frozen food aisle. Not sure how they make it bready but it's healthier yet taste terrible without tomato sauce. I tried one and that was enough. I'll stick with a gluten-free thin crust, thank you.

And, no I am not any of those new fad type eaters. I have yet to hear of any person who was paleo, vegan, keto etc that has lived healthy into their 90s. These new diets or lifestyles are not some fountain of youth. I've done a lot of reading on this since 2011. Only the sensible folks who ate naturally grown chicken, eggs, non-hormone beef & pork, non-pesticide fruits & vegetables, occasional dessert or glass of wine.
No one has claimed this is healthy by any means, and I am pretty sure no one thinks it is, either. it's a Whopper. Let people have some junk food now and then!

People who are vegan are in it for the animals, not for health reasons. Veganism is not a "health food diet."

Old 08-01-2019, 08:46 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,589,537 times
Quote:
No one has claimed this is healthy by any means, and I am pretty sure no one thinks it is, either. it's a Whopper. Let people have some junk food now and then!

People who are vegan are in it for the animals, not for health reasons. Veganism is not a "health food diet."
That's the problem you know it is junk food but BK is promoting it as healthy. Yes, I know who vegans are. They won't consume the animal but many do indirectly participate in killing its habitat. Direct or indirect it is still killing so some need to get over their better than thou attitude

Old 08-01-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
That's the problem you know it is junk food but BK is promoting it as healthy. Yes, I know who vegans are. They won't consume the animal but many do indirectly participate in killing its habitat. Direct or indirect it is still killing so some need to get over their better than thou attitude
I have never seen Burger King promote anything they sell as healthy, to do so would be a joke!

But, in comparing the Impossible Whopper with a beef whopper patty (no cheese, mayo, etc), a person would save:

4 grams of fat and 80 mg of cholesterol (Impossible has none)while still getting the same protein. For some people, the cholesterol savings DOES make it healthy-ish compared to the beef one.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:52 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,714,341 times
Quote:

Actually, a vegan diet can very much be a healthy diet.

Now, one can eat vegan and not be healthy, if the diet is full of processed foods, sugar, salt, and oils (chips, French fries, etc.). Such a vegan diet isn't going to prevent heart disease.

However, if one eats a plant based whole foods diet with little to no processed foods or oils, that is most definitely incredibly healthy. Don't let the anti-vegans try to convince you otherwise.

In fact, such a diet has helped reverse coronary heart disease. Seventh Day Adventists on average live 10 years longer than the average American, and those Adventists who consume whole plant based are healthier.

By the way Burger King is releasing the Impossible Whopper in all stores.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/01/b...nal/index.html

Old 08-01-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Actually, a vegan diet can very much be a healthy diet.

Now, one can eat vegan and not be healthy, if the diet is full of processed foods, sugar, salt, and oils (chips, French fries, etc.). Such a vegan diet isn't going to prevent heart disease.

However, if one eats a plant based whole foods diet with little to no processed foods or oils, that is most definitely incredibly healthy. Don't let the anti-vegans try to convince you otherwise.

In fact, such a diet has helped reverse coronary heart disease. Seventh Day Adventists on average live 10 years longer than the average American, and those Adventists who consume whole plant based are healthier.

By the way Burger King is releasing the Impossible Whopper in all stores.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/01/b...nal/index.html
Of COURSE a vegan diet can be a healthy diet, especially if one sticks to WFPB (whole food plant based) stuff. My point was vegan =/= healthy by default as many people think/assume.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:19 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,044,859 times
Just a heads up here. Glyphosate is in a lot more than cheerios. https://www.weedkillercrisis.com/top...ng-glyphosate/

And we wonder why health care is getting more and more expensive.

I won't be eating fake meat. What we need is for consumers to demand antibiotic-free meat fed with organic feed so we don't need fake meat, vegan and vegetarianism not withstanding. Also for consumers to demand that organic food be the rule and not the exception.

https://www.weedkillercrisis.com/top...sate-in-foods/

Last edited by ralphfr; 08-02-2019 at 10:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food