Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 02:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,627,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Many people would argue that the Impossible Burger isn't vegan, anyway, and even they call themselves plant based, not vegan, and they fully admit their target audience is meat eaters.
That's fine. Vegetarians have already stopped eating meat. Suppose that 10% of their customers switched to the Impossible Burger. That would save millions of lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 02:21 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's fine. Vegetarians have already stopped eating meat. Suppose that 10% of their customers switched to the Impossible Burger. That would save millions of lives.
Agreed. Every meatless meal is a victory to me!

Old 04-03-2019, 11:31 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,740,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The St. Louis metropolitan area is a popular place to test new food products. It's a microcosm of the country in this respect.

I believe that a vegetable product that costs more than an equivalent meat product will have a very difficult task replacing meat as the more popular item unless Burger King reduces the price. The average fast food consumer expects to pay less for vegetables than for meat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Is the Impossible Burger going through the same broiler as the meat (yuck) and will the bun be vegan? I did not see these answers in the video. The regular consumer may not be willing to pay more for this item, but vegans will.....if it is actually vegan.
Actually, plant based meat products are quite popular with meat eaters. In some burger joints that started serving Beyond Burger or Impossible Burger, sales of those items were greater than beef burgers. Del Taco, a Southern California based chain, originally offered Beyond Meat tacos in a few select restaurants, but due to its popularity, now offer them in all of their restaurants. And so on.

The reason why veggie burgers have not traditionally been so popular in restaurants is because the taste and texture of those products didn't appeal to either meat eaters or vegans/vegetarians. The huge difference with Beyond Burger and Impossible Burger is that they closely resemble the texture of ground beef, with a taste somewhat similar to meat that is far more appetizing than your usual veggie burger. This is key to these product's success with meat eaters who often want to eat something that isn't meat once in a while.

There are only about 1.6 million practicing vegans in the United States. That's 0.5 percent of the total U.S. population, a tiny fraction. Plant based meat companies would not survive if they only catered to these vegans.

93% OF PEOPLE BUYING THE BEYOND BURGER ARE MEAT EATERS

Why veggie burgers are the hot new menu item — for meat lovers too

Is that soy in your Whopper? Plant-based meat sales rising

Quote:
From soy-based sliders to ground lentil sausages, plant-based meat substitutes are surging in popularity. And carnivores — not vegans or vegetarians — are among the biggest consumers.....

Burger King's research indicated that 9% of people buying plant-based meat are vegetarian, but 90% are meat eaters looking for healthier options.

"There's a lot of people who want to eat a burger every day but don't necessarily want to eat meat every day," Finazzo said.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:56 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,430,179 times
Yeah, a lot of vegans/vegetarians don’t really want something reminiscent of meat anyway. I’ve eaten the Impossible burger and the Beyond meat burger because those were the best things on the menu at the time.

I’ve eaten Gardein beef tips out of curiosity. Sautéed with garlic- yikes! I haven’t eaten meat in decades but those beef tips freaked me out. I was thinking they couldn’t possibly be vegan lol.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:45 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,740,295 times
Burger King’s plant-based Whopper gets glowing review – from a meat lobbyist
Quote:
A glowing review of Burger King’s new plant-based Whopper comes from an unlikely source: a senior meat industry lobbyist who admitted the surprisingly realistic taste of modern fake meats is a “wake-up call” to livestock farmers.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:31 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Yeah, a lot of vegans/vegetarians don’t really want something reminiscent of meat anyway. I’ve eaten the Impossible burger and the Beyond meat burger because those were the best things on the menu at the time.

I’ve eaten Gardein beef tips out of curiosity. Sautéed with garlic- yikes! I haven’t eaten meat in decades but those beef tips freaked me out. I was thinking they couldn’t possibly be vegan lol.
I had the veggie burger from Montana's, a Canadian meat/barbecue restaurant chain. After I bit into it, I started poking at the burger and staring at it really closely because I was sure it was meat and they'd made a mistake. It isn't, but it took me by surprise because the texture was so close to meat.

I don't know if the patty is vegan, but the rest of the burger isn't. It comes with goat cheese, which I suppose one could ask to omit.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,627,085 times
It won't be long until people will enjoy a wider variety of tastier meat than in the past, but not a single animal will die.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:58 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,642,759 times
The "impossible" burger is an April Fool's campaign joke. Which is such a shame cause if they really wanted some business, this would have been a really great idea. Plenty of people like me that have certain allergies that love a gluten-free or vegan option on the menu.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:01 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The "impossible" burger is an April Fool's campaign joke. Which is such a shame cause if they really wanted some business, this would have been a really great idea. Plenty of people like me that have certain allergies that love a gluten-free or vegan option on the menu.
It absolutely is not an April Fool's joke. The Impossible Burger itself definitely exists and has for a little while now, and their partership with BK is also real. It was a coincidence it was announced formally on April 1. I'm not sure why you have "impossible" in quotes like that.

https://impossiblefoods.com/

https://www.care2.com/causes/are-you...e-whopper.html

Old 04-11-2019, 09:51 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It absolutely is not an April Fool's joke. The Impossible Burger itself definitely exists and has for a little while now, and their partership with BK is also real. It was a coincidence it was announced formally on April 1. I'm not sure why you have "impossible" in quotes like that.

https://impossiblefoods.com/

https://www.care2.com/causes/are-you...e-whopper.html
Really. I had one last year at a bar and burger type of place near the World Trade Center in NYC. It's not something that appeared on April Fool's Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food