Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 05:57 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,321,745 times

Advertisements

End of meat? Startups seek meat alternatives for the masses

more start up companies investing in vegan foods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 09:10 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,393,624 times
We've experimented a bit with Beyond Meat, a product described in the article, and I would agree with the assessment that it has room for improvement. Really, though, I've found that the most satisfying vegetarian meals for our family are those that do not include meat analogues at all. They are simply plant-based meals and are enjoyed as such without any pretense.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:23 PM

251 posts, read 246,976 times
^ I agree with you, we rarely use store bought analogs because they aren't all that healthy, and mostly soy based. We make our own at home if we feel like it.

However, if more people ate meat analogs vs actual flesh of a brutally rendered animal who is a victim of a nasty industrial food processing machine, their health and that of the planet will be better off. I have a crazy, out there radical belief that we will only achieve peace on earth when we all stop eating other living animals. (silly me…)

Wasn't there some company a while back that was going to grow pork in a lab?

Old 12-30-2015, 04:30 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,776,462 times
I think they're still working on the test-tube meat idea. I can't imagine that catching on with anyone, veggie, carny or omnivore. Guh.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:28 PM

5,882 posts, read 4,197,680 times
I actually do think that in vitro meat is eventually going to replace traditional meat and is probably the most realistic prospect for a relatively moral widespread food culture. Costs must come down, and quality must go up, but it's perfectly moral and has the potential to be indecipherable from real meat.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:42 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,391,999 times
As a meat eater who appreciates food for what it is, I do not appreciate meat analogues. If I don't want to eat a hamburger, that does not mean I want to eat a fake hamburger. Give me a delicious dish that is simply made without meat.

And if the creators of these foods are motivated to reduce the amount of meat consumed, do so by creating appealing meatless cuisines rather than "seducing" consumers with artifical, processed foods made in labs.

If half the scientific effort and talent that goes into recreating the taste and texture of a fat-sheathed tendon running through faux muscle was instead turned to something productive, we would be ahead of the game as a society.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:43 AM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
I'm not a vegetarian though I eat more of that then meat.

To me the meat substitutes are the equivalent of a vegetarian McDonalds. Heavily processed and full of salt.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-31-2015, 11:47 AM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
We've experimented a bit with Beyond Meat, a product described in the article, and I would agree with the assessment that it has room for improvement. Really, though, I've found that the most satisfying vegetarian meals for our family are those that do not include meat analogues at all. They are simply plant-based meals and are enjoyed as such without any pretense.
Same here. I have no interest in any of the fake meat products. I like legumes and am fine with them as a protein source.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:47 PM

5,882 posts, read 4,197,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As a meat eater who appreciates food for what it is, I do not appreciate meat analogues. If I don't want to eat a hamburger, that does not mean I want to eat a fake hamburger. Give me a delicious dish that is simply made without meat.

And if the creators of these foods are motivated to reduce the amount of meat consumed, do so by creating appealing meatless cuisines rather than "seducing" consumers with artifical, processed foods made in labs.

If half the scientific effort and talent that goes into recreating the taste and texture of a fat-sheathed tendon running through faux muscle was instead turned to something productive, we would be ahead of the game as a society.
Lab-grown meat is meat, though. It is not a meat analogue. Rather than appealing to people who "don't want to eat a hamburger," it would appeal to people who very much do want to eat a hamburger. The scientific effort that is currently going into in vitro meat is the best prospect for eliminating the consumption of traditional meat, which would be one of the greatest advances our society could possibly make.

There are many appealing meatless cuisines, but the number of vegetarians is still relatively low. If, however, in vitro meat was indistinguishable from traditional meat, and it was comparably priced, there would be no room in the market for traditional meat. The amount of suffering that could be eliminated by such an advance would make it one of the greatest achievements in human history.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:07 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,975,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Yes, I lie awake many nights thinking about what might have been... if only all the scientific efforts of man weren't so darn tied up by this endless, all-consuming drive to make newer and better fake meats. WHEN OH WHEN WILL IT END?!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food