Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 10:42 AM

20 posts, read 31,575 times

Advertisements

Just curious to everyone's thoughts on Washougal and its overall "feel" or "theme"? There definitely seems to be more development (waterfront, many sub development neighborhoods going in) recently.

Do you think Washougal will turn into something comparable to Camas in the next 5-10 years or will it chart its own thing? If the latter, what's the best comparison to Washougal?

There is also the question of the vast rural land it has that stretches far East and to the North
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 11:53 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
1. Yes, I think Washougal will become more "Camas-like" in the next 5-10 years. First the downtown area in terms of shops, restaurants, brewpubs, etc. And then eventually the schools which will take longer as you really need demographic change to change school quality metrics. It will probably always be a bit behind Camas in terms of affluence for a variety of reasons. But I think it will trend upwards. Especially as folks from Portland look for affordable places to move that aren't just cookie-cutter suburbs.

2. The vast rural land to the east and north is mostly off-limits to development because it is either state/federal forest lands or part of the Columbia River Gorge scenic area. So don't expect the footprint of Washougal to expand greatly. More likely you will see increased higher density housing infill in the close-in areas like all the development happening on the ridges between Camas and Washougal.

What Washougal has going for it compared to most of the other suburban areas of Clark County is that it has an actual downtown with good bones, sidewalks, business district, etc. You don't see that at all in places like Hockinson, Salmon Creek, Felida, etc. which are mostly just collections of suburbs and subdivisions. So I think Washougal has advantages that those other places lack.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:10 AM

20 posts, read 31,575 times
Bumping this thread back up after 2 years (can't believe it has already been 2 years)... any new developments or things coming to Washougal?

Old 04-05-2023, 09:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
More apartments ... i.e. Washougal will never become another Camas, nor should it, nor does it want to be.

They are very different communities, with different demographics, different purpose, different destinations.

5-10 yrs Camas will be Camas, Washougal will be Washougal.

20 - 50 yrs... Camas will be a different Camas. Washougal will still be Washougal. (It's somewhat 'land-locked', and at the end of a physical 'dead end' route to development.) Forest Service and Scenic Gorge.... no where to grow.

BTW, neither is bad, nor will be the changes (except more crowded and a LOT more taxes)
The 'Haves' will still be 'haves'; the 'have-nots', will still 'have-not' +/-

Old 04-05-2023, 09:39 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesurfer View Post
Bumping this thread back up after 2 years (can't believe it has already been 2 years)... any new developments or things coming to Washougal?
Nothing that I can think of but I don't down that way all that often. The pandemic years were kind of lost years around here. Things are starting to pick up. All the problems in Portland is benefiting this side of the river as growing numbers of people seem to be coming over here.

Right now what will probably keep the brakes on too much upscale development in Washougal is that the school district is kind of struggling with funding. So people with money moving in will probably have second thoughts compared to Camas or even east Vancouver and the Felida/Salmon Creek area.

There are basically three small Clark County school districts that have always been competitors, Ridgefield, Hockinson, and Camas. They all have 2A high schools and all compete. Right now I would rank them Hockinson 1st, Ridgefield 2nd, and Washougal 3rd, and I sort of think the money will follow that same pattern. Ridgefield got the most growth in the past decade but they are seeing serious growing pains so who knows. Hockinson is kind of flying under the radar. What it lacks compared to Ridgefield and Washougal is any sort of coherent downtown. It is mostly just a crossroads with a mini-mart surrounded by new suburbs. I have no idea if that will change. MtSurfer will have a better idea. It would get good to see some nice commercial development out there that isn't just a strip mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area