Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 06:13 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Besides going shopping or collecting fire wood?

I'm wondering if most tend to hunker down and hibernate during winter months? I know when we lived in CO and it got cold in winter many did this. The gyms were full. But not as many were out hitting the trails to hike to frozen lakes, etc... I'm not talking about going on ski trips because that is more of an event or getaway folks do maybe a few times a year outside normal routines. Instead, what are you doing more locally in your neighborhoods, parks, lakes, rivers, in the Gorge, along the coast, etc...? Just curious.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 06:55 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Lots of people drive up to Mount Hood for skiing and snowboarding.

We like to head out to the snow parks on the WA side. The nearest one is at Oldman Pass on the Wind River Highway north of Carson (out the gorge on Highway 14). There is a nice sledding hill and plenty of groomed cross country and snowshoe trails. It is about an hour drive from Camas.

There is a nicer snow park called SnowKing that is further east on the slopes of Mt. Adams just north of the town of Trout Lake. It is higher up and usually has more snow but it is at least another 1/2 hour further driving. We bundle up the kids and dog and go up for a day of cross country skiing or snow showing and then hit of the many good brewpub options on the way home in White Salmon, Carson, or Stevenson.

https://parks.state.wa.us/614/South-Cascades

For those who don't know the area, winter is not like summer in that you can't just drive up anywhere you want and find a place to pull off the road or pull into a campground or park. You can't just park along the side of the road because you'll be in the paths of the snowplows or will be blocking traffic. And most of the summer parks are closed and unplowed in the winter. So the state has designated specific spots for snow parking where they keep the parking areas plowed and free of snow that are next to trails. They usually try to keep the motorized and nonmotorized spots separate so you can ski or snowshoe in peace without getting run over by a pack of snowmachines. You need to buy a snow park permit for your windshield that usually cost about $40. Used to be that there was reciprocity between OR and WA for snow park permits so you only had to buy one. They stopped this a few years ago and it is annoying because now you have to buy both if you also want to ski in OR. The WA snowpark permits you can buy online. OR is more backward. You have to actually stop at a local store or ranger station to buy them. You WILL get a ticket if you park without a permit, especially on weekends.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 PM

147 posts, read 150,752 times
We ski nearly every weekend. I walk a few miles most days at Lacamas Lake year round.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:04 PM

I just saw an amazing photo of Multnomah Falls covered in snow. Apparently, the photographer had a good hike through the snow to take it. Looks like snow is pilling up higher than usual about now.

I'm not sure what driving over there would be like this time of the year. I would think chains are not required or allowed unless going up into the mountains.

Derek

Old 02-09-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy2017 View Post
We ski nearly every weekend. I walk a few miles most days at Lacamas Lake year round.
Wow, Izzy. I'm impressed. You must have a season pass.

Thanks for mentioning Lacamas Lake. Its really a beautiful spot. I was just wondering how accessible is it during the winter months for walking? Or maybe snowshoeing if the snow piles up? How far can one walk? I've heard they are considering extending the trails around the lake. Project would bring trail full circle around Lacamas Lake

Also, I've heard they drain the lake during the off season. What does that actually look like? How about Round Lake? The reason I ask is that I plan to paddleboard year round. I know that sounds crazy to some people. But there's actually a pretty lively SUP scene in Portland. I'm a member of one of the their groups on FB and they literally paddle year round.

Derek

Old 02-09-2019, 07:27 PM

147 posts, read 150,752 times
We do have a season pass to Meadows. There is hardly ever snow around the lake. (Today being a once a year exception.) The bigger issue is mud and pouring rain but they put some gravel down and the rain only keeps away people if it’s really coming down or really windy. I walk about 5 miles most mornings but the trail is 3.5 each way and you have to turn around, so 7 total. Yes, there are plans to connect it all the way around which will be amazing.

They drain the lake in late September but it is generally full again by November. I imagine you could SUP year round on round lake and most of the year in Lacamas.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:07 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I just saw an amazing photo of Multnomah Falls covered in snow. Apparently, the photographer had a good hike through the snow to take it. Looks like snow is pilling up higher than usual about now.

I'm not sure what driving over there would be like this time of the year. I would think chains are not required or allowed unless going up into the mountains.

Derek
They are, there are a couple mandatory chain up areas on I-84 before you get to Multnomah. It's not something that just happens on the small forestry roads in the mountains. Find that on interstates and major state routes.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
They are, there are a couple mandatory chain up areas on I-84 before you get to Multnomah. It's not something that just happens on the small forestry roads in the mountains. Find that on interstates and major state routes.
Interested, so chains are allowed in the cities and along interstates at lower elevations? The funny thing is in Colorado even with all the snow they enforce 'traction' laws far more often than requiring chains in the big cities which sit a mile high. Basically, if you have snow tires you're good to go unless things get really bad. But they also salt the roads. I'm not sure if they do that in Oregon and Washington.

Derek

Old 02-09-2019, 08:54 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Interested, so chains are allowed in the cities and along interstates at lower elevations? The funny thing is in Colorado even with all the snow they enforce 'traction' laws far more often than requiring chains in the big cities which sit a mile high. Basically, if you have snow tires you're good to go unless things get really bad. But they also salt the roads. I'm not sure if they do that in Oregon and Washington.

Derek
Colorado gets dry snow. The Gorge gets freezing rain and ice. Big difference when it comes to traction.

They are starting to salt roads and streets within Portland proper, especially the hills on main arterials. I don't think they salt the rural roads and highways though, just sand.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Colorado gets dry snow. The Gorge gets freezing rain and ice. Big difference when it comes to traction.

They are starting to salt roads and streets within Portland proper, especially the hills on main arterials. I don't think they salt the rural roads and highways though, just sand.
How about in and around Vancouver? Do you use chains around town or on major highways? Lots of hills in Camas and Washougal.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area