Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2007, 07:37 PM

11 posts, read 36,938 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Cedar City, St. George area in the Fall. We are looking to purchase at least 20 acres to eventually build a home on and retire in the Beryl, Beryl Junction area. That leaves us approx. 30-35 miles outside of Cedar City. We are from Holiday, Florida, which is just North of Clearwater on the Gulf Coast. We are planning to move to the area in 3-4 years but want to buy the land now and would like to hear your thoughts.
What kind of phone service is out there?
We will buy property with power either at the site or nearby.
We will be semi-retired so will need to work.
Thanks for any help,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 08:34 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,716 times
My wife and I have made the same jump; however, we have moved to Price. I can only tell you what we did before we made the decision.
  • We made a thorough internet search of the area. I was interested in crime rates, unemployment, population growth, etc.
  • We looked at a lot of property in the area on the internet and compiled a list of potential sites.
  • We then contacted the listed realtor for information on each piece of property. We tried to find property where water, electricity, and phone were on site. Dragging such services to your site can be expensive. Drilling wells can be expensive and the permit process can be a pain. As it is, we have to install propane, and I am installing a mini treatment plant rather than a traditional septic system.
  • I also made contact with potential employers in the area. Although, we don't need to work, I can't envision that either of us will be satisfied just puttering around the property.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:30 PM

239 posts, read 953,086 times
I hope the mods see this and link your previous post to this one, it had a lot of info. I may repeat myself, here goes!
Sargent is right, do your research, is there something special to you about Beryl?
The water rights are becoming quite an issue here, do not buy land here unless it has water rights!
South Central is our local phone co, service the whole valley. As with power, you might pay heavily to get it to your property.
To give an idea of prices, I just listed my 2/2 mobile on 1 acre for 109,00.
My FIL listed his 3/2 on 4 acres for 149,000. We just sold 120 acres for 60,000. I see a lot of land for sale for 1,000 or more an acre! That is way too much, there is much cheaper for sale.
There is no job market in Beryl. You would have to drive 45 miles thru the mountains to get to Cedar City.
Not trying to scare you off, I just want you to know!
Have you looked at Enoch, Parowan or Beaver? Maybe Enterprise?
PM me if you want my email, I will be happy to give you a tour when you come.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,871 times
Hi u/nightprowler,
Did you end up making the move? It’s been a decade since you posted! I’m looking into moving to Beryl and was wondering if you have any updates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah