Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 AM

702 posts, read 1,983,868 times

Advertisements

U see I get all these reviews from people about where to go and where not to go so I get confused. And like I said before Im a beach person and this lake thing is all new to me to go swimming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 11:33 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
U see I get all these reviews from people about where to go and where not to go so I get confused. And like I said before Im a beach person and this lake thing is all new to me to go swimming in.
Ah, hate to break it to ya...you're confused for a reason. There IS no beach here. Not if you are from a coastal area.

There are lakes, with dirt beaches. The Salt Lake is fun, for it's uniquness, once a year or so. But if you are a beach person, you have to have a very accomadating personality to bear it. And Bear lake? Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. And almost real beaches. But COLD COLD COLD.

Sorry...if you can't make it to an ocean, better find a pool.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 AM

I came from the East Coast. Im saying I am an ocean person..NOT a lake person. MD has a lakes as well, but I don't like them. I did find a pool so don't fret on that. Im hoping my husband will eventually get transfered out of this state, ugh

Old 08-20-2008, 09:14 AM

139 posts, read 501,723 times
Default Life in suburbia

Suburban SLC is like any other city in the west. Nice amenities downtown (museums, performing arts, universities, etc...) but the 'burbs are essentially the same as they are in Austin, Phoenix, Denver, Boise....strip malls and shopping centers, big box stores, and identical neighborhoods.

However, with that being said, there is a comfort in suburbia that I like. The draw for SLC is the outdoor recreation. One can be fly fishing, skiing, hiking, etc...within 30 minutes of anywhere in SLC.

SLC is safe (relatively speaking, most parts are very safe), the education system is pretty good, despite being overcrowded, the traffic is tame in comparison to other cities such as Phoenix and Austin.

Lots of kid friendly venues and (free things if you look hard enough)....

But, in the end, SLC is suburbia, for better or for worse.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:13 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
If you are very active and love the outdoors, you will like it here. I live in suburbia, but actually spend very little time there. On any given day off, I'll be in the mountains doing any one of a number of things, whether it be camping, fishing, hiking, backpacking, and in the winter skiing or snowshoeing. And as a bonus it's practically right at my back door. If you like changing seasons and sun, this place is great also. Some winters, there can be a month or so of inversion, but by and large the sun always shines. It's comfortable here, very little humidity to speak of.

If you don't care for the outdoors, don't like season changes, and don't like dry air, there's probably not much draw to living here.

My number one passion in life is mountains, so I've found my little slice of heaven. Your experience may vary.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:06 AM

34 posts, read 157,549 times
newtoutah, I'm getting the feeling that you don't like it here. Please tell us how you really feel about Utah! lol. I've been pretty down on Utah myself. But I'm from Maryland as well, and I don't think it is that drastically different (aside from the overt racism here, the general lack of courtesy, and horrific drivers). There is the usual suburban sprawl with strip malls and tract housing. And there is much more to do in the outdoors here. My wife and I have just started to try to hike some of the mountain trails...I have to say (as a natural-born flatlander) that the views are spectacular. You say you are an ocean person...you can't tell me you miss the annual pilgramage on US50 to Ocean City? I don't miss that at all! But I do miss the crabs...sigh...you just can't get decent seafood here .

Old 08-26-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faststeel View Post
newtoutah, I'm getting the feeling that you don't like it here. Please tell us how you really feel about Utah! lol. I've been pretty down on Utah myself. But I'm from Maryland as well, and I don't think it is that drastically different (aside from the overt racism here, the general lack of courtesy, and horrific drivers). There is the usual suburban sprawl with strip malls and tract housing. And there is much more to do in the outdoors here. My wife and I have just started to try to hike some of the mountain trails...I have to say (as a natural-born flatlander) that the views are spectacular. You say you are an ocean person...you can't tell me you miss the annual pilgramage on US50 to Ocean City? I don't miss that at all! But I do miss the crabs...sigh...you just can't get decent seafood here .
I miss being able to hop in the car and go to the Ocean and only be 2.5 hours away is what Im saying. Im not thrilled over the mountains because I lived in Western Maryland, yes these are much much bigger, but my skyline back home was the mountains. To me it is drastically different. Ive never seen so many materialistic people in my life until I moved here (the part I live). Try going to Joes Crab Shack and have them explain to you how to eat crabs..ahahhaha..Its amusing. As for the outdoors, im not that outdoorsy, I do like the shopping especially on Sundays here. What part of MD are u from?

Old 08-26-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I miss being able to hop in the car and go to the Ocean and only be 2.5 hours away is what Im saying. Im not thrilled over the mountains because I lived in Western Maryland, yes these are much much bigger, but my skyline back home was the mountains. To me it is drastically different. Ive never seen so many materialistic people in my life until I moved here (the part I live). Try going to Joes Crab Shack and have them explain to you how to eat crabs..ahahhaha..Its amusing. As for the outdoors, im not that outdoorsy, I do like the shopping especially on Sundays here. What part of MD are u from?
I'm from Potomac...loved being so close to DC, Baltimore, etc. It always took us 3.5 hours to get to OC. Where in Western MD are you from that is only 2.5 hours away from the ocean? Seems to me in Western MD you'd be closer to Deep Creek Lake than the ocean.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:05 PM

Ok u have to remember you can travel across the whole state of maryland in 6 hours..i lived in western Howard County and yes it is possible to get to the ocean in 2.5 hours. Potomac is alot further down the road

Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Ok u have to remember you can travel across the whole state of maryland in 6 hours..i lived in western Howard County and yes it is possible to get to the ocean in 2.5 hours. Potomac is alot further down the road
Well, you were lucky then...we would have to plan on traveling at midnight Friday or at dawn Saturday to avoid the parking lot on the Bay Bridge (if we weren't able to play hooky and leave Thursday)! But the crabs sure were worth it. Out West, it seems that people only know about Dungeness crabs (and previously-frozen snow and king crabs)...they've never had the pleasure of a Maryland crab feast! Newspaper on the table, a cold pitcher of beer, and fat, juicy blue crabs smothered with Old Bay seasoning dumped in a pile in the center of the table. Blue crab is so much more tender and sweet than Dungeness! Sigh...it's been so long...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah