Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 08:23 AM

7 posts, read 4,732 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and 2 year old child and I might be accepting a job in Liverpool (downtown). We have not been yet, but are trying to research areas to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom home/flat that might be similar to where we currently live.

Currently we live in a city of almost 2 million people in the US, on the water, crummy weather most of the year. On the plus side, the neighbourhood has many unique restaurants, cafes, bars, a local library branch, farmers market, parks with concerts and playgrounds, a beer garden and cute little historic homes. It is historic, funky, artistic, up-and-coming, a little gritty, and diverse. Many of the people moving here are first time home owners or young urban families. It is also safe and a 10 minute drive from downtown theatres, nightlife, museums etc. It is not a cookie-cutter suburban area with chain restaurants (that would be soul-sucking to us). We are in our mid 30's, middle income.

We would love to find something similar in Liverpool (or areas) where we can raise our child, be able to walk to get a coffee or meal and enjoy the benefits of a city lifestyle, but in a semi-residential atmosphere. Does this exist in/around Liverpool?

Thanks for your tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 08:30 AM

264 posts, read 273,334 times
Well the weather should be crummy enough for you at least.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:09 AM

I saw an area called Ropewalks...do people live there? Is it safe? Sounds similar to the area we live now....
(damn hipsters)

Old 06-08-2015, 10:19 AM

489 posts, read 1,196,732 times
The ropeworks are definitely not recommended for families it's the area where a lot of the cities clubs and pubs are, a better area for you would be Aigburth it's full of interesting independent shops and restaurants and near the wonderful Sefton park.Aigburth houses. Find houses to rent in Aigburth, Liverpool, MerseysideThis website will give you an idea of rental costs. Other good areas for families would be Crosby,Formby,Blundellsands,

Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 AM

Fantastic, thanks!

Vor34comet ---are you saying we shouldn't even consider Liverpool? Trust me, I live in sadly one of the most segregated and one of the most violent cities in the US. Yet, there are amazing areas to live and raise a family as well. Everywhere has good and bad, right? Unless you are all seriously telling me to not even consider it.....my current home used to be a booming city in its heyday, but due to industry loss, the city is a shell of its former self. There is a huge reemergence though and things are slowly changing.

elgin loon ----After doing research this past weekend, we came across the Lark Lane area (on google maps street view) and that looks up our alley. You are right, we google mapped the Ropewalks area as well and that is not right for a family, but looks like it could be fun. I'll check out the other areas you mentioned as well.

thanks!

Old 06-08-2015, 10:48 AM

10,553 posts, read 6,198,998 times
^^^

Yep I'm with ElginLoon above.

The nicest parts of Liverpool are: Aigburth / Sefton Park / Calderstones Park / some parts of Wavertree / Allerton / Mossley Hill areas.

Have a good look at the well known Lark Lane for lots of independent restaurants, sounds up your street.
Lark Lane

or Rose Lane slightly more up market.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:51 AM

10,553 posts, read 6,198,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misobento View Post
Fantastic, thanks!

Vor34comet ---are you saying we shouldn't even consider Liverpool? Trust me, I live in sadly one of the most segregated and one of the most violent cities in the US. Yet, there are amazing areas to live and raise a family as well. Everywhere has good and bad, right? Unless you are all seriously telling me to not even consider it.....my current home used to be a booming city in its heyday, but due to industry loss, the city is a shell of its former self. There is a huge reemergence though and things are slowly changing.

elgin loon ----After doing research this past weekend, we came across the Lark Lane area (on google maps street view) and that looks up our alley. You are right, we google mapped the Ropewalks area as well and that is not right for a family, but looks like it could be fun. I'll check out the other areas you mentioned as well.

thanks!
No, 'You'll never walk alone" is Liverpools theme song!!

It's very uplifting.

Looks like you were responding while I was typing - you already checked out Lark Lane!!
Right on the money there.

When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm
There's a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark
Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown
Walk on walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone
When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark
Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown
Walk on walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk
You'll never walk
You'll never walk alone

Old 06-08-2015, 01:31 PM

16,721 posts, read 17,495,361 times
A picture, or a video, paints a thousand words;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU4g7gB1SLI

Old 06-08-2015, 01:54 PM

LOL---ok thanks for the good laugh. I was envisioning that you meant it was so dangerous that you should never walk alone! Now I'm laughing (and slightly embarrassed)

Old 06-08-2015, 02:10 PM

16,721 posts, read 17,495,361 times
Has anyone suggested anywhere that is on the Wirral peninsular?

Misbento- that is the area across the River Mersey from Liverpool- the area with Birkenhead near the tip.

Many people commute between the two mainly via the Mersey tunnel road link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom