Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:29 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Shocked that the Bible Belt and Texas being stated as "so conservative" had so many groups such as these.

Oh, OK. I guess it would be a shock for some folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 03:43 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraSylver View Post
The emphasis in the first quote is mine.

I'm curious what you believe speaks well for Texans--the notion that my family would be ostracized for having beliefs that differ from the norm? The idea that having an alternate outlook on life is completely unacceptable? For what it's worth, I'm not sure the original poster, Toto2, was saying that those were good things.

Is that what you're saying?

Sadly, I'm getting a very strong "stay out of our state" vibe from several people here. I honestly hope that does not speak for most Texans.
I will not presume to answer for Bob, but I want to give my own likely worthless two cents on the matter. And if I misunderstand what is being said, then I apologize beforehand.

I think what might be being said is that many Texans (and count me as one of them) get sick and tired of the notion that WE are the ones who need to change and adapt to newcomers (usually yankees/Californians) way of thinking and living. Or in the name of progress or whatever is the new chic, trendy, way.

We Texans are the most hospitable, friendly, welcoming folks under the sun. Southern hospitality is the rule of thumb and we will feed you full of BBQ and grits. We will be the first to help you change a flat tire or fix your fence after a thunderstorm has blown it down. And further, we don't really care about anyone's belief system per se. We mind our own business down here.

But we DO get annoyed and irritated if the "alternatate" (whatever that may entail) lifestyle or whatever is expected to be one WE are expected to automatically pretend to believe is on par with our own way of life.

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. We in Texas/South strongly believe in our own institutions and way of life. We don't believe we have to defend it while we are in it. There is an old saying. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I will add to that by noting that if one cant DO...then at least don't expect the Romans to change themselves.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Try a 6 month lease rental and see how you feel. If you don't like it you can find somewhere else to rent within commuting distance.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:03 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
The link I posted on page 1 of this thread already says there are plenty of pagans in this state and there isn't anything anybody can do about it. I'm a Christian, so I'm not saying all of that to be a smart alec. It's a fact. So as one poster said, "People can keep to themselves and socialize with those that think as they do." I don't try to change people, and they are not going to change me either.

If I leave this state, I'm not going to ask someone in another state if a Christian is welcome, or a Republican, or a heterosexual. What I do is my business and what everyone else does is there's.

If someone wants to move to Tyler, then move there. You'll find those who think as you do.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:05 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,685 times
Red face Not so proud Texan.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I will not presume to answer for Bob, but I want to give my own likely worthless two cents on the matter. And if I misunderstand what is being said, then I apologize beforehand.

I think what might be being said is that many Texans (and count me as one of them) get sick and tired of the notion that WE are the ones who need to change and adapt to newcomers (usually yankees/Californians) way of thinking and living. Or in the name of progress or whatever is the new chic, trendy, way.

We Texans are the most hospitable, friendly, welcoming folks under the sun. Southern hospitality is the rule of thumb and we will feed you full of BBQ and grits. We will be the first to help you change a flat tire or fix your fence after a thunderstorm has blown it down. And further, we don't really care about anyone's belief system per se. We mind our own business down here.

But we DO get annoyed and irritated if the "alternatate" (whatever that may entail) lifestyle or whatever is expected to be one WE are expected to automatically pretend to believe is on par with our own way of life.

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. We in Texas/South strongly believe in our own institutions and way of life. We don't believe we have to defend it while we are in it. There is an old saying. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I will add to that by noting that if one cant DO...then at least don't expect the Romans to change themselves.
She stated that they don't make their opinions known. Her concern was the fact that she didn't want to have her children be made fun of. A valid concern of any parent. She didn't say that they were going to be casting spells on the great state. Although after reading the comments I've seen on this post ...I can't say I would blame her. This no longer sounds like the great state I was born and raised in...but rather some back woods, hick town..that is so closed minded that we've taken 10 steps back into the 60's. Shame on us!!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 04:15 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post

She stated that they don't make their opinions known. Her concern was the fact that she didn't want to have her children be made fun of. A valid concern of any parent. She didn't say that they were going to be casting spells on the great state. Although after reading the comments I've seen on this post ...I can't say I would blame her. This no longer sounds like the great state I was born and raised in...but rather some back woods, hick town..that is so closed minded that we've taken 10 steps back into the 60's. Shame on us!!!!
Don't do anything to cause your children to be teased, and then there's nothing about which to worry. In this world, they get teased enough for being totally cool.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:18 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
I remember when being Catholic in deep east tx was a bit odd (not the norm) but it all worked out ok. The neighbors on one side turned out to be agnostic, the ones on the other side were Mormon (and taught us alot about canning/preserving and getting our 1 acre garden in shape) and the ones just past that were from Holland and did not attend any church in particular. Only real impact it had was that we had to drive quite a ways to get to a church on Sunday.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:19 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post

And I believe I covered the point -- or at least hope I did -- that if one doesn't move here with the attitude (as all too many do) of how much better it was done elsewhere, then we Texans are the most welcoming people to be found anywhere in the world, to newcomers. My kid's mother (ex wife) is from a northern state. So is my present lady friend. Some of my very best friends are, yeah, yankees. Did I somehow fail to make it clear that I have no problem at all with outsiders moving to Texas and becoming one of us?

BUT...shame on us? *shakes head sadly* I realize there are a segment of Texans who feel the need to apologize for their own people. That we are not quite "progressive" enough, or whatever, and ain't quite caught up with New York, California, or Massachussets. That we are backwood, hick and all them other things you said.

Shame on us? How truly pathetic.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:16 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,685 times
Default Texas Catholics.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
I remember when being Catholic in deep east tx was a bit odd (not the norm) but it all worked out ok. The neighbors on one side turned out to be agnostic, the ones on the other side were Mormon (and taught us alot about canning/preserving and getting our 1 acre garden in shape) and the ones just past that were from Holland and did not attend any church in particular. Only real impact it had was that we had to drive quite a ways to get to a church on Sunday.
That's funny about the Catholic thing...I was going to say that in my post...but I didn't want to offend any of my Catholic friends....My parents told me I could meet and marry any boy in town...as long as he wasn't Catholic...my how times have changed!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 PM

13 posts, read 76,566 times
Quote:
Maybe you missed my original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraSylver View Post
As far as I've seen in photos Tyler is a lovely city. I'm a gardener, so the azalea and rose festivals appeal to me, too. The cost of living around Tyler seems very low. I've also heard that Texans are friendly and full of Texas pride--all good things.

<snip>

I don't want to stir up a huge controversy--Tyler is what it is, and I'm fine with that. I'm just worried that, given our beliefs, and even though we're pretty private about them, my family won't fit in there. Will my kids have trouble fitting into school when if folks ask them where they go to church and they tell them that they don't? Just how conservative is Tyler? I'm hoping my worries are unfounded, but I'd like to go in with my eyes open.
At what point did I suggest that I wanted Tyler or East Texas to be anything other than what it is? I live a thousand miles away from Tyler right now, and I merely asked whether the transition would be a difficult one for my family because our beliefs don't necessarily mesh with what might be the norm in East Texas.

Quote:
We in Texas/South strongly believe in our own institutions and way of life. We don't believe we have to defend it while we are in it. There is an old saying. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I will add to that by noting that if one cant DO...then at least don't expect the Romans to change themselves.
Did I suggest Texas was inferior to my own state? No. Did I suggest that anyone's beliefs were not progressive enough? No. Did I say that my family was coming to Texas with the intent of converting everyone to agnosticism or paganism? No; in fact I said that we keep our own beliefs private. I asked fair questions, and I believe I asked them in an unbiased way. My apologies if my approach offended anyone. But please understand that my questions were not asked in the spirit of expecting the Romans to change--they were asked in the spirit of getting to know what the Romans are all about. I haven't said a harsh word to anyone in this thread, yet I've been told--albeit in the most polite and indirect way--to stay the hell out of Texas.

Last edited by AuroraSylver; 02-17-2008 at 09:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler