Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 01:30 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,510 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a minister from Wisconsin, and I am really looking into a possible future move to Tyler, TX. How is Tyler? Is it diverse? How is the economy? Are people friendly to northerners? I have heard of a lot of good things about Tyler. I just hope it is not fast like Dallas or Houston, I really hate freeway driving. I would appreciate all of your input, thanks a bunch.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:44 AM

595 posts, read 2,722,288 times
Default Tyler is great!

We have lived in the Tyler area...not Tyler proper......but a northern suburb and we love it. We moved here from the DFW area. Most of my youngest childs friends moved here from all over the US. Very great area!

Old 06-09-2008, 10:34 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Tyler isn't really a big City per se, it's more a large town. I love it and have family there and love to visit as often as possible.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Default Tyler is a "Good Place" to raise a family.

I have four "posts" about Tyler. Really covers it all, I believe. 98 posts about Tyler can be found under simply entering the name Tyler, Tx and you should get them all - Mine is under the name Mark - Tyler is Special.

Please let me know you found them. Thanks, Mark

Welcome to Tyler !!

Old 06-12-2008, 04:04 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
Hi, I'm a minister from Wisconsin, and I am really looking into a possible future move to Tyler, TX. How is Tyler? Is it diverse? How is the economy? Are people friendly to northerners? I have heard of a lot of good things about Tyler. I just hope it is not fast like Dallas or Houston, I really hate freeway driving. I would appreciate all of your input, thanks a bunch.
First off, Tyler is not very diverse. If you want that move to Houston, D/FW, or Austin in that order. White, Black, & Hispanic make up the majority of Tyler...seeing people of other ethnicities is kinda rare, but it does happen.

No worry about the Freeways because there is none. There is a horrible traffic problem on the outdated streets & roadways thats slowly, but surely becoming less congested due to new construction & widening of some roads. Oh & did I mention the new tollway thats hardly ever used?

Being a minister though you would probably fit in just right. East Texas as a whole is very Conservative & Southern Baptist.

If you're looking for that small town vibe with some of the big city amenities I would say this is your place.

As far as the economy here its booming & the housing market is still very strong. A lot of people from out of state have been moving here the past few years as a result. Tyler welcomes anyone with open arms.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-12-2008 at 04:13 AM..

Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 AM

142 posts, read 501,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Being a minister though you would probably fit in just right. East Texas as a whole is very Conservative & Southern Baptist.
Not to speak for the original poster, but there are plenty of moderate to liberal Christians. I think this group of people is really coming to the forefront what with the success (and difficulties) of Mr. Obama lately.

Anyway, on topic. Someone mentioned congestion in Tyler. That is surprising to me. When I was there for work in 2006 I was struck by how wide and unused the streets seemed there. The city is proud of a part of its historic district that has brick streets. They are also very proud of Earl "The Tyler Rose" Campbell!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:21 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
I lived in Tyler several years ago and was surprised by the boarded up buildings in the downtown area. Maybe it has made a comeback? Otherwise, is a very pretty area, friendly people, not too crowded. The azaleas are beautiful in spring! I just could not take the humidity and those very large roaches (water bugs), ugh ugh. But have fond memories of East Texas.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 19,964 times
Default Not the worst place to live but maybe someday....

Tyler has good people but many problems like an urban environment (have lived here 11 yrs) with clogged traffic and poor infrastructure. Crime is way up and many diverse cultures are present....mostly migrant (read illegal) and historically blighted african american districts.

It does not have the charm and safety of a small town or the many diverse outlets for culture, entertainment, and education of a larger urban area.

Housing prices have grown to the point where the average single middle incomer can afford to live in a nice and safe part of town. Figure 150K at least for neighborhood you would want. Maybe that is good for what you used to and perhaps you have the income.

Employment is good if you are a doctor, nurse, etc. Not good, if you want more. Town is full of blue collar, students, and very old retired people. Really. Average income is less than 30K. Many apartments and more coming to keep the McDonalds, Wallmarts (they are 6 in area) and poor paying school teacher salaries in a place.

Weather is very hot and humid in Summer. Rest of year rain is common.

What is good? Well, good churches. Few good places to eat, and a great vineyards nearby. Pretty country to drive around....no public or state parks worth mentioning (TX does not provide many parks or public lands in this part of TX). Roads are crowded, lots of growth. Crime is bad. Shootings, stabbings in public schools. Back to good: 3 Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, some good health clubs. If you like, hot weather, bubbas and tattoos, women who dress like Britanny Spears, and lots of illegals....your kind of place.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:30 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I lived in Tyler several years ago and was surprised by the boarded up buildings in the downtown area. Maybe it has made a comeback?
Not many people know it yet, but downtown is about to blossom like a rose with urban living, arts districts, bars/clubs, etc. Same as you would find in Dallas, Austin, or Houston.

I'm proud to say I'm a part of this downtown revitalization.

Its not going to happen over night, but younger people & older alike from way out in the suburbs will come downtown for a true urban experience & want a piece of what they've been ragging on for years. Growing up in Tyler & spending over 20 years there I knew downtown had potential, I was right.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:18 AM

595 posts, read 2,722,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Not many people know it yet, but downtown is about to blossom like a rose with urban living, arts districts, bars/clubs, etc. Same as you would find in Dallas, Austin, or Houston.

I'm proud to say I'm a part of this downtown revitalization.

Its not going to happen over night, but younger people & older alike from way out in the suburbs will come downtown for a true urban experience & want a piece of what they've been ragging on for years. Growing up in Tyler & spending over 20 years there I knew downtown had potential, I was right.
I agree with you....Tyler is coming into it's own. It depends on who you choose your cirlcle to be. I moved here a little less than a year ago from the DFW area and I love it. I'm on several boards and I volunteer. The people I've met have been great and they are a mixture of born and raised in Tyler to people who came here later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler