Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 04:53 PM

406 posts, read 626,084 times

Advertisements

Okay, so ghosts throwing rocks aside, I was just browsing through a Phoenix thread and somebody mentioned a tradition in Tucson I had forgotten about. There is a community called Winter Haven in which every house is elaborately decorated for the Christmas season.

Does anyone remember taking their cars through Winter Haven during their time in Tucson? Apparently that is not even a thing of the past as it is still going on.

Thanks to the people who did provide feedback about the rock bombing back in the 80s. It came as a real surprise that someone else did remember and that the story is followed by paranormal enthusiasts. I had a good time researching it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 11:31 AM

612 posts, read 1,023,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
Does anyone remember taking their cars through Winter Haven during their time in Tucson? Apparently that is not even a thing of the past as it is still going on.
Yep - still going. I had some friends who lived in the neighborhood when I was in high school and they and their parents absolutely hated it. There was no joy in it for them after years and years of neighborhood-mandated decorated, but they made their home look joyful anyhow, since they had to ... that changed my perspective on the whole thing and I haven't been back in the 20 years since.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:01 PM

68 posts, read 218,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
Wow, the Santa Rita was a great old place. We went there to the original Poca Cosa before it was torn down. I remember seeing it in the first episode of The Fugitive; but the Fugitive has a LOT of Tucson scenery. I think my favorite was the lady's apartment at the "El Cap" apartments. El Capitan is still there and look great, just south of biosciences off 6th Street
Thanks for the Reminders, Wilma. I mentioned a while back that my Mom, 2 sisters, brother and I were extras in the pilot episode of The Fugitive. Here's a link to the YouTube page of the episode "Fear In A Desert City:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91HEzSJFeEg

At 1:47 into the episode a couple of kids run up and over a gazebo across from the bus station; one of the kids is my brother (now 63 years old!) but it's hard to say which one, as the film is pretty grainy. I better ask him which he was. At 22:45 Richard Kimble and the Vera Miles character are at an amusement park (which was on East Speedway if I remember correctly) and my whole family was there as extras, paid $20 each for the day. We hung around all day waiting, waiting for each scene to be filmed. The part I remember most vividly comes at 27:00 when the two pony riders and train cross the scene as the stars walk by.

Yeah, the El Capitan Apartments on Park Ave were popular in my U of A days '69-'74.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
Okay, so ghosts throwing rocks aside, I was just browsing through a Phoenix thread and somebody mentioned a tradition in Tucson I had forgotten about. There is a community called Winter Haven in which every house is elaborately decorated for the Christmas season.

Thanks to the people who did provide feedback about the rock bombing back in the 80s. It came as a real surprise that someone else did remember and that the story is followed by paranormal enthusiasts. I had a good time researching it!
Who could forget Winterhaven!? When I was a kid we drove through every year. It was pretty much the area between Prince, Ft. Lowell, Country Club and Tucson Blvd. On the National Register of Historic Places. Funny thing is when I later lived in Minneapolis, where there's a real winter, there was nothing on the scale of Winterhaven in the desert!

Old 10-18-2015, 10:28 PM

406 posts, read 626,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beTucsonan View Post
Yep - still going. I had some friends who lived in the neighborhood when I was in high school and they and their parents absolutely hated it. There was no joy in it for them after years and years of neighborhood-mandated decorated, but they made their home look joyful anyhow, since they had to ... that changed my perspective on the whole thing and I haven't been back in the 20 years since.
I also remember the subject of mandatory decorations being a topic of discussion. Despite this, there were homes without lights on at least one Christmas. Either nobody lived in the house, found some sort of loophole, or faced the consequences for non-compliance.

In addition to the chore of being required to decorate your home. Residents of Winterhaven probably had to really rearrange their lives in December to negotiate the crowds when coming and going during the evenings.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:44 PM

137 posts, read 417,994 times
Late to the discussion, and this subject is prob'ly pretty stale, but, hey, the holidays are right around the corner so maybe still timely I definitely remember Winterhaven - it was not close to home so we were didn't to get to see it every year but recall it was a real treat and as a kid, I was envious of anyone living there.

As an adult, I lived in a neighborhood here in SoCal that was the Winterhaven equivalent. We would park my BF's old 1936 vintage truck on the front lawn and sit a stuffed Santa in it. Not too much work other than the lights around the roof, but others went all out. Nowadays, there is a neighborhood near us that we take the granddaughter to every year: the yards and homes are absolutely grandiose and the residents must spend a fortune lighting and decorating for the month of December. I would NOT want to participate in that, but we love going and reaping the rewards of others' hard work!

Back to Tucson: we are going to see HEART tonight. I can't wait as I have never seen them in concert. I went to pull the setlist to see what they're playing and see that they were in Tucson last night: at the Desert Diamond. Anyone go? The reviews say they Wilson sisters are as good as ever and I can't wait to hear them do "Crazy on You!"

Old 11-28-2015, 08:08 AM

I just watched the first couple minutes of The Fugitive episode that O'Man posted again: boy, does that ever take me back! I LOVED that show and seeing just a tiny bit of one makes me want to binge watch it all over again! Do you think they are available, O'Man - or just on you tube?

Maybe it's the colder weather or the holidays, but I just wanna reminisce some more

Old 12-03-2015, 09:51 AM

745 posts, read 1,287,620 times
Here are a few minutes of KWFM Tucson my family recorded in the early 70s (73 or 74 I think).

https://archive.org/details/kwfm_tucson_1970s

I will forever miss the Sonoran Desert. I can still smell the wet creosote after a rapid monsoon rain.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:26 AM

mrwumpus: Thanks for posting that! I esp enjoyed references to Todd Rundgren's "elevator shaft" sound and Grand Funk's need for Todd helping give them a new sound ... and the announcements of the missing pets - several dogs and a cat - one with an infected eye! I do not recall this practice, and when would you ever hear such a thing now, right?

Thanks again - makes me want to watch a few YouTubes of Todd back in his heyday: "Hello, It's Me ... " Sigh.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfreeq View Post
I just watched the first couple minutes of The Fugitive episode that O'Man posted again: boy, does that ever take me back! I LOVED that show and seeing just a tiny bit of one makes me want to binge watch it all over again! Do you think they are available, O'Man - or just on you tube?

Maybe it's the colder weather or the holidays, but I just wanna reminisce some more
The only place I've found it for free streaming is You Tube. Amazon sells some DVDs of the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson