Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 02:48 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemasonry View Post
Absolutely, I still go to Lous plumbing almost daily to get plumbing stuff for my handyman business, thats the only place in town to go for good plumbing materials. Sues fish and chips is still standing, I ate there about a month ago, GREAT FOOD, did some some handyman work for the new owner a few months back also. That place used to be the place to hang out back in the day, I think its been there since the 50s, still very good quality food and very reasonable prices, that place was sort of the forerunner to Lucky Wishbone I think, very similar menus.

Remember the old EL Grande grocery store? My mom used to work there in the produce dept when I was a kid, I used to hang out and stock shelves for candy money when I was about 10 lol. And then there was the Southgate shopping center which was the only place in town to shop long before we had MALLS and the CARNIVAL that always set up there every year.

Yep... I remember it all very well. I lived on 30th St, 2 blocks west of south 6th Ave back then, and as a toddler, my folks told me that I had "escaped" from home - and walked up to T&T Market!

My parents were frantic, and were very mad at my sister, who was supposed to be watching me. I apparently walked back home with a police squad car following close behind, with something like a "Twinkie" in my hand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 02:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Yep... I remember it all very well. I lived on 30th St, 2 blocks west of south 6th Ave back then, and as a toddler, my folks told me that I had "escaped" from home - and walked up to T&T Market!

My parents were frantic, and were very mad at my sister, who was supposed to be watching me. I apparently walked back home with a police squad car following close behind, with something like a "Twinkie" in my hand!
I went to the Old Studios recently. Hadn't been there for years. There was an 1893 map of Tucson there. Man! There were about 20 streets and 20 avenues. Hardly any streets with names. The only two still existing streets with names were Pennington and Alameda and there were perhaps a few others downtown.

It was cool when some years ago they had these pictures of downtown circa 1940's on the walls downtown. It used to look like any other normal and fun town before it was killed by the suburbs and malls...

Old 08-26-2008, 03:00 PM

36 posts, read 274,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I went to the Old Studios recently. Hadn't been there for years. There was an 1893 map of Tucson there. Man! There were about 20 streets and 20 avenues. Hardly any streets with names. The only two still existing streets with names were Pennington and Alameda and there were perhaps a few others downtown.

It was cool when some years ago they had these pictures of downtown circa 1940's on the walls downtown. It used to look like any other normal and fun town before it was killed by the suburbs and malls...

Yea the downtown area was cool back in the 50s 60s and 70s, used to have a big Woolworths down there and the Ronstadt (Linda) family owned a lot of the business at the time. They were a pioneer family for the downtown area. I wish they would revitalize that area, there has been attempts but they never follow through, its really nice area with 4th ave etc.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemasonry View Post
Yea the downtown area was cool back in the 50s 60s and 70s, used to have a big Woolworths down there and the Ronstadt (Linda) family owned a lot of the business at the time. They were a pioneer family for the downtown area. I wish they would revitalize that area, there has been attempts but they never follow through, its really nice area with 4th ave etc.
It's getting a little better now. They've been really working on it lately. Some new stores and galleries opened up. Lofts are being promoted. Would be nice to have it connected at least with 4th Ave. It's not that bad as far as architecture goes. Many other cities don't have that much nicer downtowns. All it takes is some businesses, some signs, some life.... Obviously, the bums are not particularly appealing, but all cities have them. Only that other cities have bums in addition to not instead of regular people…

I vaguely remember the remains of some department store when I first moved here in '97.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
It's getting a little better now. They've been really working on it lately. Some new stores and galleries opened up. Lofts are being promoted. Would be nice to have it connected at least with 4th Ave. It's not that bad as far as architecture goes. Many other cities don't have that much nicer downtowns. All it takes is some businesses, some signs, some life.... Obviously, the bums are not particularly appealing, but all cities have them. Only that other cities have bums in addition to not instead of regular people…

I vaguely remember the remains of some department store when I first moved here in '97.

Flagstaff has greatly revitalized its downtown, and reminds me of an earlier 50's-60's era Tucson. Just wonderful!

Tucson should be able to do as much, if not more, with its mall-like downtown area!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:57 PM

Default More memories from back when...

Not to belabor the point, but Tucson had a great downtown scene in the 50's & 60's. The intersection at Pennington and Stone used to be where Steinfeld's Dept Store (SW corner), Jacome's Dept Store (NW corner - with JC Penney's just north), Walgreen's (SE corner), and the Pioneer Hotel (NE corner) were situated.

The shoppers could always count on the showy displays which happened during Christmas in all of their windows. Great competition to outdo each other every year for glitz and tinsel! Then they all had their competitive January White sales (linen and towels, etc!).Also, that particular intersection used to go green for all pedestrians, and would always allow diagonal walking as well! What a concept!

The Steinfelds used to have an executive suite at the top of the Pioneer Hotel, where they often stayed, and in fact, were trapped and perished there during the 1970 fire. What a tragic loss!

I wonder what ever happened to that wonderful lighted Steinfeld Dept Store sign with the oxen pulling the covered wagon? What a great landmark in its time!

Aaah... and what incredible memories from my youth...

Old 08-27-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Not to belabor the point, but Tucson had a great downtown scene in the 50's & 60's. The intersection at Pennington and Stone used to be where Steinfeld's Dept Store (SW corner), Jacome's Dept Store (NW corner - with JC Penney's just north), Walgreen's (SE corner), and the Pioneer Hotel (NE corner) were situated.

The shoppers could always count on the showy displays which happened during Christmas in all of their windows. Great competition to outdo each other every year for glitz and tinsel! Then they all had their competitive January White sales (linen and towels, etc!).Also, that particular intersection used to go green for all pedestrians, and would always allow diagonal walking as well! What a concept!

The Steinfelds used to have an executive suite at the top of the Pioneer Hotel, where they often stayed, and in fact, were trapped and perished there during the 1970 fire. What a tragic loss!

I wonder what ever happened to that wonderful lighted Steinfeld Dept Store sign with the oxen pulling the covered wagon? What a great landmark in its time!

Aaah... and what incredible memories from my youth...
Well, it's all great but non-existent now...

Old 08-28-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Well, it's all great but non-existent now...

...and THEN there was the time I actually did any REAL shopping downtown...

Old 08-28-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
...and THEN there was the time I actually did any REAL shopping downtown...
I've done that, too - in my pre-American life...

Old 08-28-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I've done that, too - in my pre-American life...

The only "pre-American" life I ever had was before I was born...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson