Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,348,659 times

Advertisements

We do if she is good. We have been in Florida and maids never cleaned rooms til 5p!every day!!
This is a 5 star hotel too.....

What do you tip maid service? 10 percent?15? 20?
Does anyone not tip them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 09:35 AM

658 posts, read 831,443 times
If I meet her upon arrival, explain my expectations of her, and she delivers, I tip. If I am someplace cheap where housekeeping comes only in afternoons, they generally have no idea what I expect, so no.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:13 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
we usually tip $1.50 per person per night. i read somewhere that was the rate.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:37 PM

605 posts, read 2,381,221 times
Never. I think it's a silly concept - there are no varying degrees of clean. I expect my room to be clean and if it's not then then the job hasn't been done properly. Hotels need to allocate the correct number of rooms to each maid so that they can clean them properly without cutting corners - no amount of tips will solve this issue if the hotels are not managed properly.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:37 PM

681 posts, read 2,360,347 times
I do. Usually two or three dollars per night. I don't think it's mandatory but it doesn't hurt to give a few bucks to thank them for clean towels and a tucked bed.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:31 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
If we stay in a hotel, it is usually for one night. We don't tip since we expect the room to be clean and ready when we arrive and don't use the maid service while there.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:55 PM

615 posts, read 856,570 times
Well, my job sent me to Germany for 2 months and the accommodations were paid for by my company. I asked one of my supervisor's whether or not we are supposed to tip the maid for cleaning the room, or if we tip for when the guy brings up my luggage, but I was told "No". So, my answer is no, I don't tip them...although there were times that I felt bad about it, but then again, the other thoughts going through my head if I did tip would be if I'd be insulting them by giving a tip.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:42 AM

605 posts, read 2,381,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwing View Post
Well, my job sent me to Germany for 2 months and the accommodations were paid for by my company. I asked one of my supervisor's whether or not we are supposed to tip the maid for cleaning the room, or if we tip for when the guy brings up my luggage, but I was told "No". So, my answer is no, I don't tip them...although there were times that I felt bad about it, but then again, the other thoughts going through my head if I did tip would be if I'd be insulting them by giving a tip.
In many European countries tipping is less prevalent that in the U.S.

In Germany for example if you left a cash tip on the nightstand it would probably still be there when you got back to your room as they'd have assumed you left some money there by mistake.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:58 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,814,818 times
If you knew how little money chambermaids in hotels and resorts usually make, you might realize how much they depends on tips from customers. I always tip a minimum of $2.00 per day when I travel alone and don't request any extras. I usually leave it on or just under the pillow which better indicates that it's for them. I also try to tip on a daily basis versus at the end of the week if I've there for that long, as I want to make sure the person cleaning my room gets the tip and not the weekend maid who filled in on the weekly one's off day.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times
I tip too. I'm especially aware of low wages given to women who need jobs, a concept taught to me by my mother who's an advocate.

I don't have any particular amount I leave, sometimes it's two or three dollars which I don't put out till we're leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel