Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 02:30 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,038,966 times

Advertisements

I will need to stay in a hotel for 1 night per month for the next 9 months (total of 9 nights stay) and would like some advice from seasoned travelers regarding negotiating a better rate with the actual hotel since this is for training. I could likely find cheaper hotels further away but I'm extremely limited as to location. I am also a member of the particular chain's frequent stays program and would like to accrue points for these stays as well.

Last edited by Chatteress; 09-24-2011 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 03:01 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,011,330 times
I would first check with your employer to see if they have any agreements with the hotel chain. Rather than using the internet or the 1-800 reservations to book the room, try calling the hotel directly. Ask to speak to the sales manager. Tell them your company does it's training in the area and you will be needing a room once a month for the next 9 months or so. Unless the sales manager has not yet had his/her first cup of coffee for the day, he/she will see an opportunity to develope a repeat customer relationship with your company. They might give you a corporate discount to keep you coming back.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I would first check with your employer to see if they have any agreements with the hotel chain. Rather than using the internet or the 1-800 reservations to book the room, try calling the hotel directly. Ask to speak to the sales manager. Tell them your company does it's training in the area and you will be needing a room once a month for the next 9 months or so. Unless the sales manager has not yet had his/her first cup of coffee for the day, he/she will see an opportunity to develope a repeat customer relationship with your company. They might give you a corporate discount to keep you coming back.
Unfortunately, this training is not sponsored by my employer. It's to complete a post-graduate certificate program that will allow me additional employment opportunities. I was given the sales manager's name and will contact her tomorrow when she returns. I just needed some suggestions on how to approach this conversation with her tomorrow.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:43 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,011,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Unfortunately, this training is not sponsored by my employer. It's to complete a post-graduate certificate program that will allow me additional employment opportunities. I was given the sales manager's name and will contact her tomorrow when she returns. I just needed some suggestions on how to approach this conversation with her tomorrow.
A total of 9 nights spread out over 9 months on it's own does not give you a lot of bargining power. However it never hurts to ask. Instead of saying you work for XYZ company, you might try saying your hotel is on the list of hotels recommended by ABC school. You might say it is a little more expensive than what your employer is willing to pay (you don't have to include the fact that your employer has nothing to do with the training). Go on line before and see what the lowest rate is. Then take 80 percent of the lowest rate and say that is the most you can get reimbursed for ( like I said, you don't have to tell them the person reimbursing you is yourself).

You might try contacting the school to see if they have any agreements with the area hotels.

Do you belong to any trade associations? Many industries get deep hotel discounts.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
A total of 9 nights spread out over 9 months on it's own does not give you a lot of bargining power. However it never hurts to ask. Instead of saying you work for XYZ company, you might try saying your hotel is on the list of hotels recommended by ABC school. You might say it is a little more expensive than what your employer is willing to pay (you don't have to include the fact that your employer has nothing to do with the training). Go on line before and see what the lowest rate is. Then take 80 percent of the lowest rate and say that is the most you can get reimbursed for ( like I said, you don't have to tell them the person reimbursing you is yourself).

You might try contacting the school to see if they have any agreements with the area hotels.

Do you belong to any trade associations? Many industries get deep hotel discounts.
Thanks Alaskan Mutt. The classes I'm taking will cost $1000+ per course and each course will require 3 hotel stays. With the current advanced purchase rate on the website, I could wind up paying close to $900 just in hotel costs and honestly, I'm trying to keep costs low especially since I'll have to fly up to Sacramento for the final two classes (hotel plus airfare) next summer. I should be grateful that the classes are being offered in my metropolitan area because they normally are only offered in Sacramento but still! $900 is too much money to be spending on hotel stays. I'll see what I can accomplish tomorrow when I speak with the reservations manager. I'll also continue to look for better deals in nearby hotels but due to the remoteness of the training site, there's only ONE bus that services the site and cabs costs way too much. The hotel in question is located right off the bus route so it's a straight shot - after 9pm, that is critical. No, I don't drive so renting a car is out of the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel