Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 5,051 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We are a family of two and have an offer to move to Toledo.
My workplace would be in downtown Toledo.
We are moving from a Chicago suburb and were looking for to rent in a safe Toledo suburb not too far from downtown.

After reading a lot of posts on this forum, I understand that Maumee, Perrysburg and Ottawa Hills are good options.
Would love to know your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 05:52 AM

555 posts, read 892,489 times
Parts of West Toledo are also good. Ottawa Hills is gorgeous but has even higher taxes than Toledo. What amenities do you want in your daily life?

Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Sylvania, Perrysburg, Ottawa Hills, Oregon, Maumee, and Monclova Township are all generally safe, family friendly suburbs. Do you want a house, townhouse, or apartment? The rental rates will vary depending on which suburb you choose and which type of housing. Renting a house in any of these areas will run you at least $1,500/month, plus utilities. Ottawa Hills will be the priciest, because it is the extreme high rent district with several $1 million + homes in the area and very highly rated schools.

Oregon is a suburb that gets overlooked a lot, but it is, for the most part and especially the farther out Navarre Ave. you go, a safe, family oriented community with decent schools. It is a fairly short commute to downtown, due to I-280 and I-75, even though it is across the river. Rental rates may be somewhat more reasonable there, simply because it doesn't get all the hype that Perrysburg and Sylvania get.

One of the great things about Toledo is that no matter what suburb you choose, it is never more than about 20 minutes to downtown because of the extensive expressway system and lack of traffic as compared to larger, busier cities. If you are coming from Chicago, you will absolutely revel in the lower volume of traffic during Toledo's rush hour.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:39 PM

11 posts, read 46,994 times
I'd sooner rent in west Toledo before Oregon. Most of the commute would be just getting to the highway as it's 35MPH for miles until you get into Oregon, despite there being not much more than an oil refinery, a landfill & some factories all spread out until you get into Oregon, and once you actually get into the suburb, it's quite a stretch to get anywhere if you want more than the basic big-box stores & other sparse offerings in Oregon. Oregon/Northwood/Walbridge area is also a train hub. Coming from Chicago, Oregon may just be a little too remote and closed in for you... it can get pretty country out there. But in all, good families, good schools and the poverty rate is very low (like most of the Toledo area - it's cheap to live there.) Also, Maumee Bay and a couple other parks are close-by if you can stand being away from the action.

I know rent in Chicago is insane, so let me emphasize that in Toledo, rent is dirt cheap, even in the suburbs. Rossford is an easy shot from downtown, but I'm not sure there are many rentals available. It's a small area, mostly homeowners in single family homes. Perrysburg is filled with new development and is the most expensive area you'll find, although I wouldn't enjoy living there. Ottawa Hills is a village of beautiful, expensive homes and it's not likely you'll find one to rent there. Sylvania is not bad and blends well with west Toledo. Mostly homes, a tad bit boring and probably the longest commute for you - which would still only be about 20 minutes. Holland is below, and is mostly large apartments/townhomes and retail businesses. Maumee is holding down the southwest corner, and is a consistent, solid option for both renters, homeowners, individuals and families alike. It's a nice safe community with good schools, but is a little more modest than Perrysburg & Sylvania. Downtown can be accessed in about 15 minutes on the Anthony Wayne Trail, and historic Waterville is a short jump below it if you'd like to see some scenery. Maumee is home to the new Fallen Timbers mall and has a good selection of restaurants. It has easy access to the different parts of the city and really is just a good mix of everything. I'd have to recommend this area for you. Great place to be new in town, especially coming in from Chicago, it won't feel too rural. Once you get out past Perrysburg (to the east), things get a little sparse (Walbridge is 'blink & miss', and Northwood's a dump...) Don't forget that west Toledo, from the northwest corner (near Sylvania, around Corey Road & Central - just on top/past Ottawa Hills) is a very nice, peaceful area with near instant access to the 475 loop. Southwest Toledo (surrounded by Maumee, w/ Holland to the left) has a lot to offer too, including exceptionally cheap rent that will get you quite a bit, simply because inventory is up. This area was a big middle-class area before filtering down into Maumee & Perrysburg and still has a lot to offer. This & Maumee is where you'll find a lot of the young professionals & new families.

You can read all you want about the Toledo city limits, but most people don't know what an actual run-down city looks like, which is ridiculous since we're 50 miles down from Detroit. Sections of Toledo are poor, some sections aren't very safe. West Toledo is a nice place to live, and while it's not Perrysburg by any means, it's modest, safe and as middle-class as can be. East Toledo (Collingwood, Detroit Ave, downtown) shouldn't be considered safe enough for children if you can avoid it. Move more towards the University, crime spikes one more time around the area due to the fact that, for some reason, criminals think students aren't as poor as them. Lot's of "Detroit Diamonds" here... it's not rare to find busted out windows right on campus. I lived just below campus, and honestly didn't have a single problem. Ottawa Hills is just above campus, and doesn't have too much crime. The crime is manageable around campus - you just have to be aware of it & avoid it. However, travel more west, the crime drops off significantly by the time you reach Reynold's Rd. Keep going, you're quite safe by Holland-Sylvania. McCord is about the end of Toledo/beginning of Sylvania, and is extremely safe with many rentals available. Toledo's rough parts are manageable and unlike Detroit, you don't just drive out of a safe area into a 'roll 'em up' situation. When you drive through them during the day commute downtown, it's not scary. Some people just get culture shock when moving from rural Ohio towns. I got over that in a couple years, and Toledo has safe and unsafe areas. There are parts of Chicago you'd avoid, just as there are here.

And just like canudigit said above, Toledo's road systems are like most in Ohio: over-invested, over-built and under capacity even during rush-hour. The surface streets are insanely efficient in a 'checkerboard' pattern, easy to navigate, liberal speed limits with connections to highways everywhere. Highways themselves support 70MPH traffic even at rush hour's peak, and accidents are typically rare. Basically, no matter where you choose to live, commuting is beautifully orchestrated here.

Avoid suburbs across the state line. Ohio tax is about half of Michigan's, and their roads are really, really bad. Avoid neighborhoods smashed up against Lake Erie (Point Place, Harbor View, Luna Pier) - Lake Erie is disgusting and I don't trust Detroit enough not to send their toxic waste down one day. And of course, if you do move to Toledo and ever are enticed to move to the Detroit area, say to take a higher paying job like I did, punch yourself in the face until you forget the idea altogether. I moved up here to take a good job offer, found a very safe suburb with the lowest possible rent I could find (double my rent in Toledo) and am returning to Ohio in a couple weeks dead broke. Detroit has a slight influence in Toledo. Resist it!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 9,365 times
I moved to Maumee from a Los Angeles Suburb and have no complaints since living here almost 3 years. I might be leaving soon because I recently graduated from UT and want to go to a bigger city. Ottawa Hills is definitely more expensive and mostly houses. Maumee, Perrysburg, and Sylvania are not as expensive without the area being compensated too.

Post above me has the gist of pretty much the Toledo area.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:16 PM

13 posts, read 12,904 times
Hi Everyone,

We are a family of two+two and have an offer to move to Archbold OH.
We are moving from a Chicago suburb and were looking for a good neighborhood with the Indian community.

After reading a lot of posts on this forum, I found some Toledo suburb. That area is too far for me. I take me 50 to 60 min drive. I like to stay close to the company. Can someone please guide me some good neighborhood.

I appreciate your quick reply.

SP

Old 11-09-2017, 09:49 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawar07 View Post
Hi Everyone,

We are moving from a Chicago suburb and were looking for a good neighborhood with the Indian community.

After reading a lot of posts on this forum, I found some Toledo suburb. That area is too far for me. I take me 50 to 60 min drive. I like to stay close to the company. Can someone please guide me some good neighborhood.

SP
I don't think you will find any sizable Indian communities closer to Archbold than Toledo suburbs. It's all farm country around there. Perrysburg is probably your best bet if that's a high priority, but that's still a 40 minute one-way drive.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:08 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawar07 View Post
Hi Everyone,

SP

There's just about zero Indian community in Fulton County. Like Ferrari said, Perrysburg and probably Sylvania are probably the areas with the highest concentrations of Indian people.

Archbold, safety-wise is fine. But it's not close to any major metropolitan area with any cultural/ethnic diversity.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:55 PM

13 posts, read 12,904 times
Hello
I have job offer near Napoleon oh. but am not sure which neighborhoods to consider best to live. We have small kids, 4 year and 2-month-old baby, so good safe area and good rating schools looking. We are in Chicago now

Initially, a company providing one-month temporary housing, so looking for furnish apartment for a 4-6 week.
Later looking for 2 bedroom apartment in range of $600-$1000 with good school rating.

I heard about Sylvania, also can some suggest another suburn between Sylvania and Archbold.
Can you please suggest good/safe neighborhood? Also if you can suggest apartment name.

Thanks
SP

Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
I grew up in Fulton County so I know the area very well. I didn't grow up in Archbold but in another small town, Wauseon, that is about 15 minutes east of Archbold. People in Fulton County are generally pretty friendly and helpful but the previous poster was correct, there are few if any Indian people in that area. The entire county is roughly 85-90% caucasians of European descent (lots of families with German roots specifically, especially around Archbold) and the rest are Hispanic with literally a handful of people of other ethnicities. If there are any Indian people in Fulton County they are physicians or similar professional types.

I don't think you need to worry about people accepting you, because as I said, people are as a rule friendly and helpful. However, there is just about zero Indian culture in Fulton County, so my suggestion, especially now that you've mentioned Napoleon as well as Archbold, is to live in Perrysburg or Sylvania and commute or live in Fulton County but plan on driving to Toledo and its suburbs to find Indian culture and other Indian people. There were a few Indian physicians who lived in Wauseon when I was growing up there and they ended up sending their kids to schools in the Toledo area, such as a very well regarded prep school, Maumee Valley Country Day School in south Toledo, where a lot of other professionals of varying ethnicities send their kids. It is a commitment to drive kids to Toledo everyday, but some of them carpooled, and they made it work. Your kids would be welcome in the public schools in Archbold or any other village out that way, it isn't that, but they would not be exposed to any Indian culture or meet any other Indian kids, if that is important to you.

I don't know of any apartments to recommend specifically, it would depend on if you want to move to Fulton County or try commuting from Sylvania or Perrysburg. The Indian people in the area tend to be very highly educated and professional and live in those two cities or Ottawa Hills (a very wealthy enclave within the city of Toledo but with a separate address), but Ottawa Hills would be quite a drive to Archbold or Napoleon.

Last edited by canudigit; 11-19-2017 at 08:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo