Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 16,263 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am moving with my family to University of Toledo Medical Center, Toledo, OH. During my internet search I found that Toledo, OH is not a safe place and crime rate is very high.

I want to know:

1. Safe place for a family to live near University of Toledo Medical Center?
2. Is there good and safe apartments nearby or with in 5-7 miles range in range of $600-650/month?
3. I found that Toledo have Indian temples and grocery shops, so anything nearby and good will be helpful.
4. I am moving from Auburn, AL so can anyone suggest good and economical way to move to Toledo, OH?

A best strategy/plan and place to live near University of Toledo Medical center will be helpful.

Regards,
H Gupta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:52 AM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times
Welcome to Toledo.

Crime definitely exists throughout the city but there's plenty of areas that are safe and nice.

The most convenient area for you to live would probably be anywhere in south Toledo. Anywhere south of Glendale Ave. (which UTMC is off of) would be safe. There's a lot of cheap aparments along Airport Hwy near Byrne Rd., close to UTMC but you want to avoid them as theyre rough and there's lots of crime up there. If you go south out of Toledo, youre immediately in Maumee and past that, across the river is Perrysburg. Both of those towns are relatively close and are safe. Rent prices in Perrysburg might take you past 650 though.

I don't know where any Indian groceries are but i know there's several Indian restaurants throughout the city. The only temple I know of is the Hindu Temple of Toledo, which is actually in Sylvania, but there could be some other places in the area. Sylvania is also a nice suburb to live in and close to a lot of the better shopping in Toledo.

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2013, 11:43 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
I would focus on the areas of Maumee, Perrysburg, and Sylvania. If you rent within the city limits of Toledo, somewhere in roughly the Monroe St./Talmadge Rd. intersection near Westfield Mall would be okay or somewhere in south Toledo near Maumee.

The crime stats that you read online do not tell the full story of this area. As the pp said, there are many, many safe, attractive parts of the Toledo Metro area. I am an RN and there are a lot of doctors and other professionals here of Indian descent. Most of them live in upscale areas of Perrysburg, Sylvania, or in an extremly upscale village within the city of Toledo called Ottawa Hills. I think that once you get to know some of the local healthcare professionals you will feel much more at ease and at home.

$650/month is probably more in line with Maumee than Perrysburg or Sylvania. Whatever you find though, I wouldn't be all that concerned about being 5-7 miles from UTMC, because you will find that traffic here is much lighter than in most urban areas. The locals all know about the "20 minute rule", AKA no matter where you are in the Toledo area and where you need to go, it will not normally take you much longer than 20 minutes to get there. The city is served by a conveniently located expressway system that hits most parts of the city and all of the suburbs, and the city streets are generally also easy to use and relatively free of heavy traffic.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 9,894 times
I'm in the same situation... Moving my family to Toledo in order to attend the University of Toledo (grad school at the UT med center). We found a decent apartment in Sylvania. We also looked at Perrysburg but didn't like the rural environment nearly as much as the little more urban Sylvania.
My wife is an RN and she's looking for nursing work in the area right now.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:17 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuku View Post
My wife is an RN and she's looking for nursing work in the area right now.
She could check Promedica's job opportunities website:

ProMedica | Online Services | Job Opportunities

Promedica Health System owns several hospitals, outpatient facilities, physicians' offices, etc. in the Toledo region and has around 200 RN positions posted at their various facilities. If she has experience, she should have absolutely no trouble finding a job there. If that's not her cup of tea, there are various hospices, home care agencies, and dialysis centers around Toledo that are hiring. I am an experienced RN and I get job offers via phone or email pretty much weekly, even though I am happily employed.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 16,263 times
Hi,
Thank you.

What about the Wiiliamburgs apartments at 5569 Ryewyck Ct Toledo, OH 43614‎?

This will be a good help.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:51 PM

16 posts, read 15,911 times
hey himanshu

I believe you have been in Toledo for some time.
I am just about to move there in July for residency. Mu husband will be commuting to Detroit area.
Can you please suggest convenient and nice places/apartments.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 6,398 times
Congrats on your residency ToledoCalling. Any luck on finding a place yet? Anything that you have learned about places, where to stay, that you can share please?

I am also starting my residency in UToledo in July. I will be moving up there alone and don't have any family around. Any tips and advice will be much appreciated. I heard that the Country Club Apartments is very popular among the residents but also heard that it isn't a very good area. I read some bad reviews on it as well. Anyone know anything?

Old 05-24-2016, 04:15 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamd View Post
Congrats on your residency ToledoCalling. Any luck on finding a place yet? Anything that you have learned about places, where to stay, that you can share please?

I am also starting my residency in UToledo in July. I will be moving up there alone and don't have any family around. Any tips and advice will be much appreciated. I heard that the Country Club Apartments is very popular among the residents but also heard that it isn't a very good area. I read some bad reviews on it as well. Anyone know anything?

Country Club Apartments are on Dorr St and are close to the University of Toledo main campus, which makes them popular. They seem decent to me. Dorr St isnt the best area of Toledo but where these particular apartments are, isnt bad....i lived nearby at one time. Further in, around the campus, and past that toward downtown, Dorr St gets worse. Youre not too far from Byrne though which you would take to get down to UTMC.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Country Club Apartments are on Dorr St and are close to the University of Toledo main campus, which makes them popular. They seem decent to me. Dorr St isnt the best area of Toledo but where these particular apartments are, isnt bad....i lived nearby at one time. Further in, around the campus, and past that toward downtown, Dorr St gets worse. Youre not too far from Byrne though which you would take to get down to UTMC.

Thank you so much for your input! Any other areas that you recommend and/or should avoid. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo