Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 07:03 AM

11,838 posts, read 8,040,748 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbs7.com/2024/04/24/jail...-or-slow-down/

Looks like they are stepping up the ante on folks who do not slow down or move over. $1,250 fine for first offense all the way to potential jail time for serious injuries caused.

Wish we could have some action against left lane hoggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2024, 07:15 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,032,433 times
I agree with you on left lane hoggers outside of the city. In the same camp as left lane hoggers are those drivers that take up a right lane at a traffic light and never intended on turning right. Usually there is a line of cars behind them waiting to turn right!

Old 04-28-2024, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I agree with you on left lane hoggers outside of the city. In the same camp as left lane hoggers are those drivers that take up a right lane at a traffic light and never intended on turning right. Usually there is a line of cars behind them waiting to turn right!
I think Texas needs more right turn only lanes. I noticed that when I moved here they don't build alot of dedicated lanes for right turns. Atlanta had alot of right turn only lanes so it was rarely an issue that someone was in the right lane and holding up right turns.

For me I kinda get what you feel but that person may have a right turn right after the intersection so I generally dont get impatient for right turn on reds

Old 04-28-2024, 10:46 AM

15,461 posts, read 7,516,901 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I think Texas needs more right turn only lanes. I noticed that when I moved here they don't build alot of dedicated lanes for right turns. Atlanta had alot of right turn only lanes so it was rarely an issue that someone was in the right lane and holding up right turns.

For me I kinda get what you feel but that person may have a right turn right after the intersection so I generally dont get impatient for right turn on reds
The law mentioned in the article has nothing to do with left lane hoggers or with people who legally sit in the right lane at a red light. It is new penalties for not moving over a lane or slowing to 20mph below the speed limit when emergency vehicles, tow trucks, TxDoT vehicles, etc are on the shoulder.

Old 04-28-2024, 11:41 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,032,433 times
We know. We were just adding items to our wish list.

Old 04-28-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The law mentioned in the article has nothing to do with left lane hoggers or with people who legally sit in the right lane at a red light. It is new penalties for not moving over a lane or slowing to 20mph below the speed limit when emergency vehicles, tow trucks, TxDoT vehicles, etc are on the shoulder.
I know. That was a side discussion I started because I wish they would make an effort to remove left lane hoggers with the same intensity as this law.

Old 04-28-2024, 03:21 PM

15,461 posts, read 7,516,901 times
Quote:
We know. We were just adding items to our wish list.
Quote:
I know. That was a side discussion I started because I wish they would make an effort to remove left lane hoggers with the same intensity as this law.
Driving the speed limit in the left lane while actually passing cars in the lane to the right is not nearly as unsafe as not moving over for emergency vehicles parked on a shoulder. There is no right to speed, and Texas is already very generous to speeders.

Old 04-28-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Driving the speed limit in the left lane while actually passing cars in the lane to the right is not nearly as unsafe as not moving over for emergency vehicles parked on a shoulder. There is no right to speed, and Texas is already very generous to speeders.
Yea but legally speaking, doing the speed limit or not, the left lane is a passing only lane on any divided highway in Texas. You're not supposed to camp in it. Texas law says this as well. Some states are also now fining drivers who stay in the lane but refuse to move over even if they are doing the speed limit. (Utah and Georgia for example, although it's illegal in most states save for a few.)

Also Texas speed limits are debatable to begin with given they are prima facie. If the general flow of traffic is moving faster than the speed limit, the left lane hogger can generally be seen as obstructive to the flow of traffic so a right to exceed the posted speed limit is debatable at best even in legal context, unless you are recklessly weaving in and out of traffic or driving faster than the flow of traffic.. ..but if the general flow of traffic is moving at a speed higher than the limit in Texas, it technically could be considered 'legal' if debated in court.

Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM

78,475 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
The problem is that they may be turning right in a block and don't want to cut over and then put on the brakes in front of someone.

That said, I do try to do what you suggest above but it's not always reasonable.

As for left laners, yeah I've seen people gum up the left lane for miles and miles, at a minimum a fat ticket would be nice. Some states don't even have that from what I understand.

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
Quote:
I think Texas needs more right turn only lanes.
Somebody is making money from installing traffic lights.

There's a light on 249 feeder road at "Canyon Gate Pointe Dr" which only purpose is to let people out of the neighborhood safely onto the feeder road.
When that could have easily been solved with a good exit and entrance lane from the feeder road.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/MzQga5VDrb7esVWy8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: