Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

680 posts, read 276,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Somebody is making money from installing traffic lights.

There's a light on 249 feeder road at "Canyon Gate Pointe Dr" which only purpose is to let people out of the neighborhood safely onto the feeder road.
When that could have easily been solved with a good exit and entrance lane from the feeder road.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/MzQga5VDrb7esVWy8

Sometimes traffic lights serve more than one purpose, one of which can be traffic-calming. Also, would the construction and maintenance of good exit and entrance lanes cost less than a set of traffic lights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM

11,838 posts, read 8,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
Sometimes traffic lights serve more than one purpose, one of which can be traffic-calming. Also, would the construction and maintenance of good exit and entrance lanes cost less than a set of traffic lights?
It's hard to say as I don't know how much it costs to design those lanes, but traffic signals average around $300,000 to $400,000 per intersection... they aren't what I would call cheap, but not sure how much a slip lane would cost either.

I honestly hate all the traffic signals on Texas access roads, they are LONG with complicated signal phases.. ..and they're also intentionally designed to slow traffic if they're on the access road of a tollway to encourage more drivers to pay.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

837 posts, read 468,515 times
A way to make revenue. I get that a law discouraging this type behavior is necessary but you see cops leaving their bumpers in the right lane all the time. Which necessitates adhering to the "emergency vehicle" law. The thing is there will be a lot of money made here since most Texans now move over to avoid an infraction but consider the back corner of a cop car to essentially be off the right lane when it technically isn't. A gotcha moment. AND I suspect many departments have instructed their officers in this form of piracy.

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

15,461 posts, read 7,516,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
A way to make revenue. I get that a law discouraging this type behavior is necessary but you see cops leaving their bumpers in the right lane all the time. Which necessitates adhering to the "emergency vehicle" law. The thing is there will be a lot of money made here since most Texans now move over to avoid an infraction but consider the back corner of a cop car to essentially be off the right lane when it technically isn't. A gotcha moment. AND I suspect many departments have instructed their officers in this form of piracy.
Police park at an angle as a safety measure in case their car gets hit while stopped. There's no vast conspiracy to do it for revenue, especially since the large cities get very little revenue from traffic enforcement, and small municipalities are limited in how much ticket revenue flows to the city.

Old Today, 08:55 AM

5,618 posts, read 4,951,353 times
I'm fine with reserving the left lane on limited-access highways for passing and emergency vehicles, per the law. What I'm not OK with is demanding that drivers in the other lanes move over if they're already driving at the speed limit (or slightly above - I limit myself to 5 mph over). Speeders already get the left lane as their privilege if they don't like how fast drivers in the other lanes are going - the burden should be on the speeder to have to move left.

Old Today, 09:41 AM

6,816 posts, read 4,260,862 times
The law is designed to keep people from running over people working at the side of the road yet the thread is about 50 other unrelated issues. Maybe that's why they had to up the penalties - people don't really get the issue at hand.

Old Today, 09:47 AM

11,530 posts, read 6,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
https://www.cbs7.com/2024/04/24/jail...-or-slow-down/

Looks like they are stepping up the ante on folks who do not slow down or move over. $1,250 fine for first offense all the way to potential jail time for serious injuries caused.

Wish we could have some action against left lane hoggers.
Jail time would only be for drivers convicted of causing SERIOUIS injury. Nobody is going to jail for failing to slow down or move over that does not cause a SERIOUS injury. Even a minor injury won't result in jail time.

From the article

Now punishments for drivers who cause serious injuries by failing to follow these rules include possible jail time and a fine of up to $4,000.

Your title change misrepresents what is in the article.

Old Today, 02:34 PM

11,838 posts, read 8,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Jail time would only be for drivers convicted of causing SERIOUIS injury. Nobody is going to jail for failing to slow down or move over that does not cause a SERIOUS injury. Even a minor injury won't result in jail time.

From the article

Now punishments for drivers who cause serious injuries by failing to follow these rules include possible jail time and a fine of up to $4,000.

Your title change misrepresents what is in the article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
https://www.cbs7.com/2024/04/24/jail...-or-slow-down/

Looks like they are stepping up the ante on folks who do not slow down or move over. $1,250 fine for first offense all the way to potential jail time for serious injuries caused.

Wish we could have some action against left lane hoggers.
You mean kind of like what I stated in the original post?

Also I didn't change the title, the title of the article states exactly that:

Last edited by Need4Camaro; Today at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: