Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 08:23 PM

18,140 posts, read 25,330,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Remote work is the future whether people like it or not. There’s going to be years of adjustment. We rushed into it too fast with Covid and are now having a more realistic transition. But that’s where we are headed
I don’t think so,
Most jobs require people to be in person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 01:45 PM

8,161 posts, read 3,706,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Meh, just remove the speed limit on I-45 ... do the same for I-35 while they're at it. I'd prefer that to a Bullet Train
How fast can you go in your Camaro (I assume)?

https://www.railway-technology.com/f...world/?cf-view

Old 04-26-2024, 02:09 PM

11,852 posts, read 8,070,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
How fast can you go in your Camaro (I assume)?

https://www.railway-technology.com/f...world/?cf-view
Probably between 180 - 190ish with the current mods. Certainly there are trains much faster... but the camaro is a much more exhilarating experience, and removing speed limits is way cheaper.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:32 PM

18,140 posts, read 25,330,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Probably between 180 - 190ish with the current mods. Certainly there are trains much faster... but the camaro is a much more exhilarating experience, and removing speed limits is way cheaper.
Good look trying to do that on I-45

Old 04-26-2024, 09:14 PM

1,031 posts, read 560,568 times
It would be a bullet, wouldn't it.

Old 04-27-2024, 07:09 AM

24,036 posts, read 15,136,960 times
I live about 1/4 mile from the purposed elevated line. And I wish the state had not declared the HSR was not a railroad to pacify a few land owners. The state was fine with a foreign country using eminent domain for a pipeline running Canadian sludge to the golden triangle for export to China.

When Muse started flights from DFW to Houston many years ago IIRC they said 40K people travel that route daily. They just wanted a tiny bit of the the business. We use VonLane bus lines. As do many others. The HSR will be way better. Hope we live long enough to see it.

The subdivision that backs up to the tracks is still fighting it. The HSR already bought a few houses in the ROW that they are allowing to go to seed. Teenagers use them for parties. But then, when ya buy a house that backs up to rr tracks or a freeway you are assuming a risk. In unincorporated Harris county you buy on the perimeter of the watershed in the middle of the subdivision in the middle of the block.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:14 AM

1,744 posts, read 1,039,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Remote work is the future whether people like it or not. There’s going to be years of adjustment. We rushed into it too fast with Covid and are now having a more realistic transition. But that’s where we are headed
Ha! I remember pre-COVID before remote working took off one of the Supply Chain SVPs at my company said “if you can do your job from home then it can be done in China or India.” Just a few years later the entire R&D Engineering team was outsourced to China.

Of course one of the outcomes of COVID was looking for countries other than China for outsourcing.

Old 04-27-2024, 02:11 PM

783 posts, read 512,943 times
Default Railroad right of way

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I live about 1/4 mile from the purposed elevated line. And I wish the state had not declared the HSR was not a railroad to pacify a few land owners. The state was fine with a foreign country using eminent domain for a pipeline running Canadian sludge to the golden triangle for export to China.

When Muse started flights from DFW to Houston many years ago IIRC they said 40K people travel that route daily. They just wanted a tiny bit of the the business. We use VonLane bus lines. As do many others. The HSR will be way better. Hope we live long enough to see it.

The subdivision that backs up to the tracks is still fighting it. The HSR already bought a few houses in the ROW that they are allowing to go to seed. Teenagers use them for parties. But then, when ya buy a house that backs up to rr tracks or a freeway you are assuming a risk. In unincorporated Harris county you buy on the perimeter of the watershed in the middle of the subdivision in the middle of the block.
Way back when, '81 TBE, I bought my first house in SoCal. Nice little place, 3 br 1+1/2 bath, with very nice, large add-on den with fireplace. When we were looking at it, I noted the big gnarly hedge back fence, and asked the realtor about it. "Oh," he said, "there's railroad tracks over there." I ended the look-see then and there, but he said the track is barely ever used, it was put in to supply lumber to a commercial lumberyard about a mile away, which was closing down. We bought the house, and in the 14 years we lived there, I saw one train on it. Then, the land was bought to build houses on. They told me I had to get the huge hedge out of there, and also the one between me and my neighbor. I don't like yard work one bit and was not looking forward to hedge work. They started leveling the space, and there was a knock on my door. "What about that hedge?" I told the guy I was working on it, heh-heh. He said he could get a guy with a tracked tool to just rip it out, for free. I said do it. The next morning a little 'dozer showed up, and had that hedge out in less than an hour, loaded it on a truck and took it away. The housing builder put in a block wall.

Old 04-27-2024, 04:35 PM

24,036 posts, read 15,136,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Way back when, '81 TBE, I bought my first house in SoCal. Nice little place, 3 br 1+1/2 bath, with very nice, large add-on den with fireplace. When we were looking at it, I noted the big gnarly hedge back fence, and asked the realtor about it. "Oh," he said, "there's railroad tracks over there." I ended the look-see then and there, but he said the track is barely ever used, it was put in to supply lumber to a commercial lumberyard about a mile away, which was closing down. We bought the house, and in the 14 years we lived there, I saw one train on it. Then, the land was bought to build houses on. They told me I had to get the huge hedge out of there, and also the one between me and my neighbor. I don't like yard work one bit and was not looking forward to hedge work. They started leveling the space, and there was a knock on my door. "What about that hedge?" I told the guy I was working on it, heh-heh. He said he could get a guy with a tracked tool to just rip it out, for free. I said do it. The next morning a little 'dozer showed up, and had that hedge out in less than an hour, loaded it on a truck and took it away. The housing builder put in a block wall.
You lucked out due to not being in unincorporated Texas. Counties cannot make ordinances without the approval of the state legislature. So if you want dogs on a leash, you have to get the state to do it. The only thing standing between a property owner and a wrecker yard or wh...orehouse next door is subdivision deed restrictions that can be enforced. My last house was in a tiny subdivision of 4-5000 square foot houses. Two houses were rented to ladies of the evening . We moved.

Most people coming to Harris county see millions of people and lots of nice communities. They think they are in Houston. Then they get a surprise when trouble pops up.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:23 AM

783 posts, read 512,943 times
I am coming to realize that an HOA is a double-edged sword. Sometimes you get the edge, sometimes the other guy gets it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas