Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 01:46 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times

Advertisements

In my area of North Texas plumbers charge around $250 per hour, but new housing starts at $700K if you can find one.

But you can drive to Colorado in one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 05:44 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
In my area of North Texas plumbers charge around $250 per hour, but new housing starts at $700K if you can find one.

But you can drive to Colorado in one day.
Those are established plumbers who have their own shop/crew.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:53 AM

29 posts, read 39,674 times
I’ve lived all over Texas, including Sherman, Plano, Abilene, Midland, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston. Never in any of those locations was I comfortable with the climate. In west Texas, I had to contend with dust storms and very hot summers. In Houston and San Antonio, the heat and humidity were oppressive for most of the year. In central and northeast Texas, the concern was with terrifying thunderstorms and tornados, as well as the heat. And it’s just getting hotter. I moved away 20 years ago and would never go back, not only because of the weather but because of the rising cost of living and coming changes in the political climate, which is trending bluer. Texas is becoming more expensive every day. Lastly, the situation with immigrants is a real problem there.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:20 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
And Texans are friendly. That might be a culture shock for someone from Idaho.

One of the best things about living in Texas, IMO .

Old 04-03-2024, 12:53 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
The thread title made me laugh out loud! I don't think there are many similarities. Honestly, the only way you will know is to move to Texas, and there's a lot of Texas's within Texas. Galveston isn't like Austin, Dallas isn't like San Antonio, etc.

Old 04-06-2024, 11:02 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You wont get $300K with 3 acres and a three bedroom house except in the Panhandle. Close to the Texas Triangle (DFW, Austin, Houston, San Antonio and all in between), that simply won't do. Near Lubbock, Odessa, and Amarillo you could find something like that though.
You can get it in East Texas. In my county right here. I'm 75-90 minutes to IAH. Completely rural. Now, granted there's higher end stuff around me too .

It's not Idaho though but it doesn't get -30°F here either. Lots of common sense reasons that I think Texas is better but one can forget aesthetics.

But the OP doesn't want to be in Texas so her DH better listen.

Old 04-07-2024, 01:09 AM

712 posts, read 393,820 times
I dont think you will be able to find somewhere in Texas that meets your criteria.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:59 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You wont get $300K with 3 acres and a three bedroom house except in the Panhandle. Close to the Texas Triangle (DFW, Austin, Houston, San Antonio and all in between), that simply won't do. Near Lubbock, Odessa, and Amarillo you could find something like that though.
Exactly. I lived in Amarillo for 10 years, San Antonio for about 6 or so, Lubbock for 2, and travel throughout the state for work. Right now I am in west central Texas. You will NOT find anything you are looking for (topography/nature/weatherwise) in Texas, AND more importantly, land is expensive here unless it is basically in West Texas, and by that I mean look at a USDA map with graduated moisture color codes. The farther west you go, the browner the color; the farther east, the greener (obviously measures moisture/rainfall). Yes, it snows in Amarillo, a few times a winter, and it melts mostly in a day or two. It is windy in the spring, WINDY. 60mph winds, sustained, NOT gusts. It is the land on the high plains. The trees lean to the northeast due to the prevailing winds. And I am not even bashing the place. I lived there for 10 years and enjoyed certain parts of it. I am just trying to manage your expectations.

You can get a few acres and a house for under $300K if you live in far flung and arid West Texas (only certain parts though—Even Midland/Odessa is expensive due to the oil activity), or you can go where it rains more (farther east) and find a town in between towns (rural) that has seen better days and probably pick up a house for a steal. In other words, live in a less than desirable (to some) place or a place that is inexpensive for a reason. Do you know how many people move to Texas every day? This is one of the highest influx states. Land is not cheap anymore.

The Hill country is growing like crazy. Areas like New Braunfels, San Marcos, etc are all along the I-35 corridor and is the fastest growing area in Texas. And at some point, it will be endless development between San Antonio and Austin. Even the north part of San Antonio in what was basically the outskirts when I first moved there is fully developed (pretty hill tops razed to put up soulless apartment complex monstrosities). When I first moved to San Antonio in 2017, I thought $200K for an average 3/2 house was a lot of money. Meh. Now that $200K house has almost doubled in price. My old neighborhood had homes in the $200k-$500K. I just looked on a map, and I don’t see anything under $900K. Places outside the city are growing like crazy. Land is expensive, and where will you get the water for your land, your acres? Streams, creeks? They’re dry. Llakes in Texas, with the exception of Caddo Lake, are manmade, and we have droughts almost every year where these lakes evaporate.

Look to Utah or somewhere else. Or, just settle for less land in a place you WANT to be, instead of trying to make a place something that it clearly isnt, and will never be.

Good Luck!

Last edited by cobolt; 04-08-2024 at 07:11 AM..

Old 04-08-2024, 08:09 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
Yeah, don't try to make Texas into something it's not. People move away all the time disgusted, because it is what it is. You can't change it into some idyllic climate or politics or economy. Don't come here unless you like it as is.

Old 04-09-2024, 10:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
If you want Idaho, and only the cost of housing is in your way.... Figure out a suitable alternative. (That mitigates housing costs)

Dig up a deal.

Lots of retirees in NoID, so... Consider housesitter gigs for snowbirds in winter and RV in summer.
Small towns? 5 friends from Oregon relocated to dinky towns in Northern Idaho in the last 2 yrs. They found affordable spots. Nothing fancy, but certainly suits them. Several friends living NE WA, or Idaho, MT

SIL really liked Hawaii, but couldn't afford housing. She's survived 47 years there by house sitting. And she saved enough to buy her own condo. (Which she rents out for big bucks, and continues to house sit for wealthy clients who are often gone.)

My first boss took a property Manager/ caretaker job on an island and lived happily ever after. His owner / boss only visited twice in 7yrs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas