Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 09:39 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Apparently they wouldn't be caught dead as "patriotic Americans" in another Blue state.
I wouldn't choose to live in New Mexico. Their state government is quite a mess, and the poverty level in many places is extremely high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 09:40 AM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
That is kind of being generous IMO. For a house like that on that much land I would say you probably need closer to $650K. Probably need even more to have a house like that near New Braunfels because of the proximity to the Hill Country.
I hate to agree - make it an hour outside of Alliance and you may be lucky. But where does he plan to find a job out there?

Old 03-28-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
That is kind of being generous IMO. For a house like that on that much land I would say you probably need closer to $650K. Probably need even more to have a house like that near New Braunfels because of the proximity to the Hill Country.
The house 2 down from us (3/2/2 with a shop/barn on 2.5 fenced acres) in Kaufman County sold for $525 late last year. Nice house, too. Yes, you'd need significantly more for a comparable house in the Hill Country.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:44 AM

9 posts, read 2,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
That 3+ bedroom house on 2-3 acres within an hour's drive of either Dallas or Fort Worth will cost around $500k. Of course the cost goes down when you're further away from a major city, and the cost will go up significantly in the Hill Country. I don't know how affordable that is compared to Idaho, and whether that is affordable on a plumber's salary. You can't get too far from a city since your husband will have to commute somewhere for work, and there are not many plumbing companies in very small towns.

You're correct that your family is all over Texas. They are all west of I-35, which narrows it down a little.

I wouldn't live in Amarillo if I was given a house for free. The flat land (yes, there is Palo Duro Canyon, but that's a State Park and you can't live there), lack of trees, smell, and isolation are a "no" for me. I actually interviewed for a job there when I graduated from college, and I turned it down when I saw the town in person.
Wow...500k is quite outside our price range and that is more expensive than Idaho. I'm currently looking at a house in Idaho with 3 bedrooms with an acre for 289k. That's our price range. It only has 1 acre but I'm willing to have a little less land to be in my desired location. I was looking into 2-3 acres in Texas since my husband said it was cheaper there. I understand we probably won't be able to be too far from a city. How you feel about Amarillo is how I feel about El Paso which is the only part of Texas I've actually been to, haha!

Old 03-28-2024, 10:28 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformedMamaBear87 View Post
Wow...500k is quite outside our price range and that is more expensive than Idaho. I'm currently looking at a house in Idaho with 3 bedrooms with an acre for 289k. That's our price range. It only has 1 acre but I'm willing to have a little less land to be in my desired location. I was looking into 2-3 acres in Texas since my husband said it was cheaper there. I understand we probably won't be able to be too far from a city. How you feel about Amarillo is how I feel about El Paso which is the only part of Texas I've actually been to, haha!
You wont get $300K with 3 acres and a three bedroom house except in the Panhandle. Close to the Texas Triangle (DFW, Austin, Houston, San Antonio and all in between), that simply won't do. Near Lubbock, Odessa, and Amarillo you could find something like that though.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I wouldn't choose to live in New Mexico. Their state government is quite a mess, and the poverty level in many places is extremely high.
I agree. Its lovely to visit but other than Taos, Santa Fe, and some parts of Albuquerque its really not a nice state.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
I can't rep you yet again, or I would. I'm very glad you enjoyed your time in Amarillo.
I live outside Amarillo, and by choice. There are some downsides for sure (the smell and the absolute remoteness), but overall it is a good place for *me*. Most people don't want to live here for many of the same reason I DO want to live here, and frankly if most people did want to live here.... I wouldn't.

The OP is obviously not real familiar with Texas and all that entails, but answers in this forum is exactly for questions like hers. I tried to give some good answers, hopefully the OP didn't find me too snarky. With the list of things she is after, Northern Idaho is likely the better choice.

OP, while most of us life long Texans think highly of our state... it just doesn't offer what you are after.
Other than the smell, which is a very real thing up there, I don't understand the dislike for Amarillo. Its less dusty, has way more to do outdoors close by, and is more affordable than Lubbock or Midland. I also find the people much more laid back there.

Regarding the OP, I dont think she is alone in that people in California seem to have an unrealistic idea of how much it costs to live in Texas. Of course its a lot cheaper than California, but its nowhere near as cheap as people seem to think it is. I once moved here from California too and I used to get people who thought you could buy a house on land here for $200K. People just have this automatic assumption about what it costs to live here.

Where Texas is truly a bargain is what it cost to live in the cities and suburbs (not Austin) and what you get for what you pay. You can buy a good sized house in the burbs of DFW, San Antonio, or Houston for $400K and have access to a ton of amenities. That costs about 3x more in Coastal California.

Texas is a good value. Texas is not cheap.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Again - please look at the whole price tag in Texas. Property tax is a very big factor. Friends still have a 3/2/2 on 1/2 acre in Haslet they bought for 350k and taxes have reached 10k. Heat/cool 365/year. You want a green leaf - you water. Homeowners/vehicle insurance is high.
Why be miserable in Texas when you can get almost what you want in Idaho?Do you know what "not too far from a city" means in Texas? Please look at maps.
Make a spreadsheet with all the important factors so you can compare. Sorry, but "my husband says" is not a good reason unless he researched and can put his points up for discussion.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Other than the smell, which is a very real thing up there, I don't understand the dislike for Amarillo. Its less dusty, has way more to do outdoors close by, and is more affordable than Lubbock or Midland. I also find the people much more laid back there.

Regarding the OP, I dont think she is alone in that people in California seem to have an unrealistic idea of how much it costs to live in Texas. Of course its a lot cheaper than California, but its nowhere near as cheap as people seem to think it is. I once moved here from California too and I used to get people who thought you could buy a house on land here for $200K. People just have this automatic assumption about what it costs to live here.
We faced this when we moved to Texas and now the same in Oklahoma. I hate to sound negative when posters are blue eyed but it is 2024 and real estate within easy access of metros/jobs is at a premium.
We paid as much as we did for a house in Alliance/Haslet as we did for 2/3 house and 1/3 property in Mustang, OK five years later. Haslet sold for three times our sale two years ago. Taxes should be around 15k.
Research, research, research. If he cannot get a job that pays for everything mom will need to step in. An hour commute and a part time job does not work.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Wow...500k is quite outside our price range and that is more expensive than Idaho. I'm currently looking at a house in Idaho with 3 bedrooms with an acre for 289k. That's our price range. It only has 1 acre but I'm willing to have a little less land to be in my desired location.
$289k for a house on acreage within 1 hour commute of the DFW metro is a double-wide mobile home on a 1 acre lot. And yes, then you have to pay our outrageous property taxes.

It really sounds like you'll find what you want in Idaho, not Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas