Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where will you retire
I will retire in the TX city I'm currently in 15 36.59%
I will retire in another TX city 2 4.88%
I will retire in a smaller TX town 5 12.20%
I will retire in a neighboring state (NM, CO, OK, KS, MO, AR, LA) 2 4.88%
I will retire in a state further away 15 36.59%
I am not in currently in TX and will retire in TX 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 11:24 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,660,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
Taxes are a huge deal for me. Low taxes is one of the biggest criteria for me. I will possibly only live in Texas after I fully retire if my property taxes are manageable. I will likely move out of Texas if the property taxes are too high for me and i am not able to get the parsonage exemption for my home. I will likely stay in Texas if my property taxes are low enough for me.
Hence, the 'most people' part .

But if you just look at property taxes and move to a low property tax state, you may end up paying more 'other' taxes.

Tennessee is an option many people look at - no income tax, low property tax; however, sales tax averages 9.55% and can be as high a 9.75%. That could be 1.5% points higher than TX and food is taxed (basic groceries at 4% and prepared food at local rate up to 9.75%).

Gas is taxed 6 cents higher than TX (26 instead of 20), although the cost per gallon is almost the same otherwise. Alcohol is taxes significantly more in TN besides the 15% tax added if you buy a prepared drink.

TN does have property tax freeze for 65+ but only if you are low income, which is set by each county/municipality. It looks like it is household income based and varies from ~$35k to $50K and can be 'lost' if your income exceeds that value at some point in the future.

So, if you are not below their low-income level, you property taxes will be lower than TX but may slowly close the gap over time compared to Texas and the school-tax freeze. Or maybe not. Very location/house specific, like always. Also, if you are bringing in a higher income and spending it, you will pay noticeably more in sales tax. Even at lower income, the addition of taxable food is a bit annoying. Monthly grocery cost in TN is ~20% higher than Texas, but I assume that already includes the taxes? Not sure.

Anyway, if you expect to bring in <$35k a year, then TN is a likely a good possibility. On the other hand, if you are looking at >$100k or something, then you might end up paying a lot more in taxes/COL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 12:00 PM

747 posts, read 406,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Hence, the 'most people' part .

But if you just look at property taxes and move to a low property tax state, you may end up paying more 'other' taxes.

Tennessee is an option many people look at - no income tax, low property tax; however, sales tax averages 9.55% and can be as high a 9.75%. That could be 1.5% points higher than TX and food is taxed (basic groceries at 4% and prepared food at local rate up to 9.75%).

Gas is taxed 6 cents higher than TX (26 instead of 20), although the cost per gallon is almost the same otherwise. Alcohol is taxes significantly more in TN besides the 15% tax added if you buy a prepared drink.

TN does have property tax freeze for 65+ but only if you are low income, which is set by each county/municipality. It looks like it is household income based and varies from ~$35k to $50K and can be 'lost' if your income exceeds that value at some point in the future.

So, if you are not below their low-income level, you property taxes will be lower than TX but may slowly close the gap over time compared to Texas and the school-tax freeze. Or maybe not. Very location/house specific, like always. Also, if you are bringing in a higher income and spending it, you will pay noticeably more in sales tax. Even at lower income, the addition of taxable food is a bit annoying. Monthly grocery cost in TN is ~20% higher than Texas, but I assume that already includes the taxes? Not sure.

Anyway, if you expect to bring in <$35k a year, then TN is a likely a good possibility. On the other hand, if you are looking at >$100k or something, then you might end up paying a lot more in taxes/COL.
Oh okay thanks for the clarification. I am easily going to make 100,000 to 120,000 a year in today's dollars when i am retired so maybe Texas taxes will be better for me than somewhere like Arizona New Mexico Nevada Utah Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM

747 posts, read 406,473 times
I may retire in Florida

Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,942,997 times
Texas is a terrific state. I lived in College Station from 1984-1996, and loved both Texas and the Texans I knew there. Salt of the Earth. Eventually I moved to Louisiana because that's where the job was.

When we retired (back in 2009), we thought about other states but ultimately decided to stay in Louisiana. Louisiana is a pretty fine state, too.

I don't like every state I've lived in, though! California comes to mind. A lot of people love California but I'm more of a Texas/Louisiana type gal.

Old Today, 05:55 PM

928 posts, read 1,067,440 times
I’ll be staying in So Cal as my property taxes are $3500 on my $800k house. Several friends moved to Texas and any savings have disappeared especially since they had owned their homes for years in CA. All thanks to Prop. 13.

Old Today, 06:28 PM

525 posts, read 1,370,958 times
I already retired...after retiring from teaching at DISD...after 34 yrs...I hung up my hat..went back to my birthplace of ELP, but after leaving Dallas..I sometimes wonder if I made the right choice..but I think so..tired of seeing so many transplants moving there..my house here is cheaper, but less to see and do..I am a Diehard Native born Texan...and I do not see myself living anywhere else..I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas