Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where will you retire
I will retire in the TX city I'm currently in 15 37.50%
I will retire in another TX city 2 5.00%
I will retire in a smaller TX town 5 12.50%
I will retire in a neighboring state (NM, CO, OK, KS, MO, AR, LA) 1 2.50%
I will retire in a state further away 15 37.50%
I am not in currently in TX and will retire in TX 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 10:43 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times

Advertisements

Seeing the berserk growth that Texas is having population wise, I do have to wonder how many people who are in Texas actually plan to settle down and sink in there when work isn't a reason to stick around anymore and how many want to pack up and try somewhere else? City = Metro for this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 01:54 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
My wife and I are approaching retirement - me, in about three years; she will probably work 2 or 3 years after that. There isn't an answer yet. We had assumed we would down-size from our SW Austin house when we retired, mainly to go from a 2-story to a 1-story; however, our specific area has become so convenient that we may just live downstairs rather than go to 1-story. Our first floor is ~1500 sf, give or take, with the master downstairs. The 900 sf upstairs was mainly unused before kids and may just go back to that. In any case, within a 1/4 mile is 5 or 6 restaurants, a nice HEB, and most services (hair, vet, dentist, postal store, etc) if we need them. 1/2 mile includes quite a bit more. So, the house at the end of nowhere 25 years ago is now located in a quite accessible location.

Of course, where the kids end up will have a big impact, but they are in HS at the moment and no telling. The youngest may end up in another country . We have looked at the economics and while many people disagree, we have done the math in excruciating detail and it really is good for us in TX (school taxes frozen, HSE, etc with no income taxes) compared to many - if not most - places, especially as time goes by. 10 years down the road and those frozen taxes make a big difference and most other states we would consider have nothing of the sort.

We will not be in a smaller town, most likely, at least not if it is significantly outside a major metro. I might manage it, but it is a non-starter for the wife.

We may end up getting property in Colorado as a 'summer' abode, something between 8,000 and 10,000 feet elevation. We would not stay there enough of the year to become a (taxable) resident, but it might be nice to spend 3 or 4 months there a year during the Texas summers. We are avid outdoors people and it is hard to beat what CO has to offer.

Old 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I got a long way to go but when I retire I’m going back to the Midwest, I’m tired of the ridiculous property taxes here

Old 03-18-2024, 06:51 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
If I were to retired today: summers in Wisconsin and winters in Singapore or Panama.

Old 03-19-2024, 04:33 AM

712 posts, read 393,820 times
I am most likely going to retire in the San Antone/Austin area because I will not have to pay any property taxes on my future house in Texas under current law because of the parsonage exemption.However I may go somewhere like Arizona and New Mexico.I could retire in Oklahoma or Arkansas or MS or TN as well.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:22 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Seeing the berserk growth that Texas is having population wise, I do have to wonder how many people who are in Texas actually plan to settle down and sink in there when work isn't a reason to stick around anymore and how many want to pack up and try somewhere else? City = Metro for this discussion.

When we retired in 2021, the sale proceeds from our 2011 semi-custom home paid off a small retirement place in Nebraska. For years we knew we'd 'downsize', but when the time came, we weren't willing to pay what it would cost to do that in a Texas metro area.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:36 AM

There is also a chance I will retire in Puerto Rico not Texas so I could save a lot on federal income taxes.There is a chance I could retire in Nevada.My dream is to retire on a 10,000 acre ranch in the Texas Hill Country if I get rich.

Last edited by NewMexicoCowboy; 03-19-2024 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-19-2024, 09:08 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,519,758 times
I'd like to retire on a beach in NW Florida. Whether or not I'll be able to afford it is another matter.

Old 03-19-2024, 11:54 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
There is also a chance I will retire in Puerto Rico not Texas so I could save a lot on federal income taxes.There is a chance I could retire in Nevada.My dream is to retire on a 10,000 acre ranch in the Texas Hill Country if I get rich.
Very rich.

When I bought the ranch, it was around $7K/acre. Now I see them asking for $47K/acre.

As to the question, YES. But not to any major city but rather, be as much to nature, the forest as I can be.

Old 03-19-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Very rich.

When I bought the ranch, it was around $7K/acre. Now I see them asking for $47K/acre.

As to the question, YES. But not to any major city but rather, be as much to nature, the forest as I can be.
I am thinking about buying somewhere where the land is about 1,000 per acre like Ozona so the ranch would be a lot cheaper than your example. I am not talking about prime land in the Hill Country to retire on. I am also thinking about retiring in a foreign country so I dont think the OP included enough options for every retirement choice.

Last edited by NewMexicoCowboy; 03-19-2024 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas