Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 PM

112 posts, read 181,245 times

Advertisements

I just returned from visiting your great state a couple of days ago. My husband and I wanted to see as much as we could of Texas in 12 days. We really hustled to see as much as we could. Between flying, driving, and checking in and out of hotels, I'd say we didn't do too bad. We ended up being in each of the major cities about 2 days. We stayed in 3 nights in Austin and 3 in Houston because I have a friend there. We put 2200 miles on the rental car in the 12 days. We also spent some of that time just driving around and looking at various neighborhoods. Those were some long drives from city to city, but I enjoyed every minute of it. I have to say I enjoyed driving on those crazy highways, putting my foot down to do 80mph, and pumping my own gas, since we are not allowed to in NJ. Most people were friendly and I really felt that it wasn't the miserable and expensive rat race that is dirty NJ. I really fell in love with Texas, but so scared to make that leap to a new state. If I could find a job tomorrow I'd move in a heartbeat.

I wanted to share a quick video I put together about our trip. Just keep in mind we visited Texas mostly to see if it was a place we would like to relocate. We did it on a tight budget so we tried to do as many free activities as we could. We didn't get to see so many things, but that could be for our next trip. We like offbeat things and experiences. You won't see any sports, mall shopping, or fine dining in this video. It's just a quick run through of most of the things we did.

I hope you enjoy my roadtrip video.

Texas roadtrip - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,571,730 times
nice slide show, glad you had a good time in Texas!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:57 AM

21,490 posts, read 10,607,442 times
You can't pump your own gas in New Jersey? I had no clue. I thought the days of gas station attendants had gone by the wayside. Sometimes it would be nice to just pull up to a station and have someone pump the gas, check the tires and oil, and wash my windows again. It's been a long time since I've been to a gas station like that. As soon as gas went over $2.50/gallon, no one wanted to pay extra for that service anymore.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:09 AM

21,490 posts, read 10,607,442 times
What an amazing video! You went to a lot of places for such a tight budget. I bet the State Tourism Board would love this video. You said you didn't get to see much, but actually you saw more places than I have, and I was born and raised here. I've never been to the funeral museum or Rothko Chapel, and I live in Houston. I noticed you went to the bat bridge in Austin, but did you know Houston has a bat colony under the Waugh Street Bridge? It's the only known Texas colony that doesn't migrate to warmer climes in the fall.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:00 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,178,327 times
Great job on the video - looks very professional, but then perhaps you are one?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You can't pump your own gas in New Jersey? I had no clue.

NOpe! NJ and ORegon are the only two states that have a law that it is illegal to self pump. It's been like that since the 1940's. Sometimes it's frustrating because you have to wait when it's busy, but it's also a nice during the winter when it's so cold out and you don't want to get out of the car. It creates jobs and our gas is still low compared to other states so it has its positives and negatives. Definitely come visit Nj and you will see

Old 07-26-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What an amazing video! You went to a lot of places for such a tight budget. I bet the State Tourism Board would love this video. You said you didn't get to see much, but actually you saw more places than I have, and I was born and raised here. I've never been to the funeral museum or Rothko Chapel, and I live in Houston. I noticed you went to the bat bridge in Austin, but did you know Houston has a bat colony under the Waugh Street Bridge? It's the only known Texas colony that doesn't migrate to warmer climes in the fall.
There are TONS of things to do in HOuston that we didn't have time to do. I didn't know about the bats in Houston. You can log on to Houston Things to Do - Attractions - Golf - Art - Museums - VisitHouston and download the pdf file with so many attractions in Houston

Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Great job on the video - looks very professional, but then perhaps you are one?

Thank you! I'm not a professional though It's something I put together on apple's imovie program. APple makes everything easy

Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 AM

6,294 posts, read 7,517,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2? View Post
There are TONS of things to do in HOuston that we didn't have time to do. I didn't know about the bats in Houston. You can log on to Houston Things to Do - Attractions - Golf - Art - Museums - VisitHouston and download the pdf file with so many attractions in Houston
Did ya get a chance to check out The Magick Cauldron ? I think I remember that being on your tentative list earlier this month....

Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Did ya get a chance to check out The Magick Cauldron ? I think I remember that being on your tentative list earlier this month....
Yes I did! I didn't add pictures of the stores or eateries we went to, but the Magick Cauldron was great. Friendly owner that made me laugh. When we told him we were from NJ he shouted, "We got yankees in the house!" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas