Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,425,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
I don't go around town asking, "hey, are you ready for change?" Like I have any power to do that When I talk to people, I ask how long they have lived there? What do they like about the area? What do they NOT like about the area? And usually people open right up and spill the beans on how they really feel about the area. I have met locals (who have been there a long time) and even transplants. I go right up to stranger's houses and ask questions about the neighborhood. People are very friendly there and they are not at all like a lot of people on the boards claim. I am not trying to change anyone or anything. I like the area as is (save the sushi). I am just saying if and when the change comes, most people will embrace it and a select few will not.
Most of the people I talk to are ready for change and have had it with the "good ole boy" system of running things You wrote that!

I've lived here for 3 years and I have never heard anyone say that they want things to change around here.

Once again, exactly why do you want to live here? Wouldn't you rather live in an area that is perfect for you without moving to a place that you think needs to change? Seems like you will probably **** a lot of people off and end up banging your head against the wall.

I stopped do that sort of thing a long time ago, when I got older and wiser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,623,923 times
Peace I think the best thing you need to do to get along with everybody is to get rid of the paranoid attitude. I don't live in Tennessee but read different threads. You seem to be more worried about what people think of you than anything. Just go and be yourself. I've travelled through the areas you have mentioned and have met many nice people. Good luck on the move!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:55 PM

178 posts, read 404,757 times
I have been doing research on the Blue Ridge area for awhile now and the more I read and study, the more I like Tennessee. I am looking to relocate from Florida and find my family a nice piece of land where we can learn to live as we should, as free, self-reliant people who live off the land and help others who want the same. Of course it takes more than an idealistic vision to decide to make the move, I have much more to research to do.

I too would appreciate feedback on the acceptance of newcomers. Some things I read so far seem relative to the attitude one brings with him or her, however, the notion of "We've used and hunted this land for generations before you showed up" seems plausible. I don't know if people would object to newcomers claiming private property rights on land they've had access to for decades. It seems in some areas this may be the case. Maybe not.

I have been looking at the middle/east and north middle/east areas (Clay, Putnam, Overton, White, Cumberland, Van Buren, Coffee, Grundy). I want to eventually be self-sufficient by using off-grid energy sources and planting orchards and gardens and hopefully enhance and protect the natural beauty of the land that God grants me stewardship over. I hope to achieve this goal within the next year or so.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:49 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,526,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Most of the people I talk to are ready for change and have had it with the "good ole boy" system of running things You wrote that!

I've lived here for 3 years and I have never heard anyone say that they want things to change around here.

Once again, exactly why do you want to live here? Wouldn't you rather live in an area that is perfect for you without moving to a place that you think needs to change? Seems like you will probably **** a lot of people off and end up banging your head against the wall.

I stopped do that sort of thing a long time ago, when I got older and wiser.
I am just the messenger. Just repeating what I have been told by some of the locals.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:00 AM

98 posts, read 391,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jef1234 View Post
Woodbury/Cannon County is a great place to live! Come on down.
You said that right! --- For Middle Tennessee living in a small rural setting. Farmland, gardens, horses, (everyone in Cannon County rides horses) Woodbury and Cannon County can't be beat. I don't live there and probably never will but here is what I mean. You want rural setting...they even have a drive-in theatre. Then you are only minutes from Murfreesboro. You could even liven in Cannon County and drive to college every day at the University in Murfreesboro. Then just a few more miles is Nashville.
Anyone wanting to relocate in Middle Tennessee should at least look at Woodbury and Cannon County. Close to Murfreesboro, Lebanon, Nashville, Manchester, McMinnville etc. but very beautiful and rural. Some may already be reloacting here, judging from the many new beautiful brick houses setting on the hillsides in Cannon County.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:25 AM

46 posts, read 170,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Fl Girl View Post
We are wanting to move to south western TN, to the Wayne County area.
You might check ouLawrenceburg (the biggest city), Clifton, Waynesboro or Collinwood. Small towns, only a little over 2,000 people in Clifton and Waynesboro. Just an idea.
If drug related crime, racist, clanish, xenophobic inbreds who will consider you an "outsider" and with contempt don't bother you and you can tolerate neighbors such as these:

Moderator cut: no linking to competing forums

don't concern you. Then by all means come on future neighbor! The politically inept county leadership and corrupt (in my OPINION) Wayne county sheriff should not bother you at all.

Last edited by Beretta; 03-19-2009 at 08:26 AM..

Old 03-06-2009, 12:34 PM

730 posts, read 1,922,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacenquite View Post
my family and i want tobuy a farm in a small town in tennessee . i also have a small child that i think would benifit being raised in a close knit town with strong family values and a friendly community, we dont want to ruffle feathers, we are so ready to kick back and enjoy every thing about a small country town . we want to grow vegs and maybe some small animals , we want land to preserve and pass down to family as the years go by. now we live in a town that has no respect for anything, people wont even look you in the eye, and if you try to help someone out they think your out to screw them over- i dont want to raise my child here, i want a place to take a deep breathe,relax and enjoy everything around me! can anyone help me out? trying to stay in the northern/middle tennessee area. thank you
Where do you live now?

Do you have any family in the South?

Do you have any "roots" in the South, ancestors?

How easily does you child make friends

How well does he handle being looked at as different?

Living in a small town is vastly different than being part of the community

Being part of it requires acceptance by the people living there, far more than on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee