Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 PM

246 posts, read 757,033 times

Advertisements

Try Dunlap! Its pretty small but growing, homey, the schools are excellent. Much land is available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 06:04 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,526,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacenquite View Post
ok city-data friends heres the deal - looks like were moving a little earlier than planned, my husbands job is threatening to lay off due to shortage of work-again, so im gonna be very blunt! anyone who lives in the murfreesboro, cookeville, crossville, and oak ridge areas i need to hear from you! if you do or dont except new comers let me know now! we are a family in our 30's with a small child, we dont party, were not loud, were laid back but we are hard workers, we dont plan on bringing the city with us. we just want to be excepted where we live and if your not honest with me and i morgage a house for 30 years and you dont like us only because we werent born there , well, then danm it your stuck with me cause i am stubborn! didnt mean to tick off anyone - just need straight up info and fast- counting on your honesty!
I wouldn't worry about whether they like new comers or not......you go where you want to go and to heck with what they say. Find you a nice piece of the American dream and raise those chickens. If they don't like, let THEM leave! You can build me a fence when I get there next year.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 09-22-2008, 06:38 AM

13,378 posts, read 40,123,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
I wouldn't worry about whether they like new comers or not......you go where you want to go and to heck with what they say. Find you a nice piece of the American dream and raise those chickens. If they don't like, let THEM leave! You can build me a fence when I get there next year.
Are you serious? The "to h*ll with everyone else" attitude isn't going to win over any friends. Maybe you don't want any friends, but most of us want to get along with our neighbors.

Telling someone to go ahead and move to Tennessee with the kind of attitude you describe is downright irresponsible. In all likelihood, that person will be miserable here. There are plenty of other areas of the country with beautiful countryside and mountain views that would probably suit their needs. It just seems it would be more appropriate to steer them in that direction rather than encouraging them to p*ss off their new Tennessee neighbors.

Throwing a tantrum, pouting, stamping your feet and insisting "but I want to live HERE!!!" looks pretty childish from the outside. I'm not trying to be insulting, just giving some friendly advice.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Are you serious? The "to h*ll with everyone else" attitude isn't going to win over any friends. Maybe you don't want any friends, but most of us want to get along with our neighbors.

Telling someone to go ahead and move to Tennessee with the kind of attitude you describe is downright irresponsible. In all likelihood, that person will be miserable here. There are plenty of other areas of the country with beautiful countryside and mountain views that would probably suit their needs. It just seems it would be more appropriate to steer them in that direction rather than encouraging them to p*ss off their new Tennessee neighbors.

Throwing a tantrum, pouting, stamping your feet and insisting "but I want to live HERE!!!" looks pretty childish from the outside. I'm not trying to be insulting, just giving some friendly advice.
All I am saying is that communication is a two way street. If they treat her badly just because she is a new comer then she has the right to ignore them and enjoy life where she chooses to live. I am finding out that not everyone in the towns hold the same opinions as some of the people on this board. When I go to Maryville, Townsend, Gatlinburg, etc. I don't meet the same people as I do here. No "new comers warnings," "do it my way or else," "don't mess with our culture." The people there are just happy to have someone new in the area to improve their economy and are genuinely friendly and welcoming. And when I go there, I talk to EVERYONE. Most of the people I talk to are ready for change and have had it with the "good ole boy" system of running things. People should not anticipate a move to an area based on a few limited opinions. She should travel there, experience the people, talk to lots of neighbors and then decide if that is where she wants to make her home.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,369,661 times
Quote:
All I am saying is that communication is a two way street. If they treat her badly just because she is a new comer then she has the right to ignore them and enjoy life where she chooses to live. I am finding out that not everyone in the towns hold the same opinions as some of the people on this board. When I go to Maryville, Townsend, Gatlinburg, etc. I don't meet the same people as I do here. No "new comers warnings," "do it my way or else," "don't mess with our culture." The people there are just happy to have someone new in the area to improve their economy and are genuinely friendly and welcoming. And when I go there, I talk to EVERYONE. Most of the people I talk to are ready for change and have had it with the "good ole boy" system of running things. People should not anticipate a move to an area based on a few limited opinions. She should travel there, experience the people, talk to lots of neighbors and then decide if that is where she wants to make her home.

The OP is asking about small farm type towns. You are speaking of tourist areas and Maryville is a somewhat suburb town of a tourist area, there are a lot more transplants in those areas than say Jefferson County, Granger County, Cocke County, Rural Knox County, Hamblin County,Hancock County, Greene County or other areas that are more rural/farm areas that the OP is referring to. It is true that when you get into these kind of small farm towns, that it MAY take a while for the locals to warm up to you. Not saying they will run you off with a shot gun (That is more Unicoi Co. kidding!) nor that they will be mean, they just seem to be a bit slower to accept any change and that includes "new comers". There are some who will not like others ONLY because they are "new comers". (I hate to admit it but it is still sadly true, some people immediately are mean to others just because of the color of their skin, ANYWHERE in this world, this is really no different)
But we are explaining experiences that a lot of us have found, that if you are open and friendly and not moving there with the intent to change it all to your way of liking, you will be fine and accepted. That basically goes for anywhere really.

I would be willing to put money on the fact that those you have spoken with that want all that change are rather new to the area themselves?
You mention that "the people there are happy to have new people there to improve their economy" I have a very hard time believing that. Not at all what I have heard in the over 12 years I have lived here, my husband has heard the opposite all his life (native). Personally I have found those that come here boasting about how much money they have to throw around or that they are "better" than the locals, end up not staying very long and complain about the area. Oh, and I am a mortgage broker and I am VERY active in a downtown revitalization community here in N.E.TN. So yes, I am very "in the middle of it all" when it comes to folks and business moving into East TN. I have seen who is happy/successful here, who isn't and there are consistent similarities to both situations.
How long have you been living in TN and how many cities towns within TN have you lived in?
I honestly am not "picking" on you nor discounting your opinions of East TN, really. I personally just want the OP to be well informed on their questions as does everyone on here posting answers to their questions. We really aren't making this stuff up and it would be totally wrong and irresponsible of us to say "Yea, everyone will accept you here just because you want them to." We are trying to help them and anyone else understand the human "climate", as we perceive and have felt here, about the area THEY are asking about. Sure everyones experiances can be different that is why it is good that lots of people answer the OP.
Each area does have a majority "human climate", sure it can change over time but they are asking about it now, we are just being honest.
I hope that helps the OP and you understand where we are coming from a bit better.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,428,310 times
Quote:
Why would you want to move to a place that you want to change? Isn't the attraction of the area the point of moving there? Otherwise, why move at all?

Old 09-22-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Why would you want to move to a place that you want to change? Isn't the attraction of the area the point of moving there? Otherwise, why move at all?

I don't go around town asking, "hey, are you ready for change?" Like I have any power to do that When I talk to people, I ask how long they have lived there? What do they like about the area? What do they NOT like about the area? And usually people open right up and spill the beans on how they really feel about the area. I have met locals (who have been there a long time) and even transplants. I go right up to stranger's houses and ask questions about the neighborhood. People are very friendly there and they are not at all like a lot of people on the boards claim. I am not trying to change anyone or anything. I like the area as is (save the sushi). I am just saying if and when the change comes, most people will embrace it and a select few will not.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:17 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,652,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

Very well said JMT.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:34 PM

7 posts, read 35,668 times
As a former big citian. I have learned you make more friends with a learning attitude. People here are not flashy and into what car they drive etc. Life is simpler. You have to be ready to accept a lifestyle. Which its not a bad one either. Front porch rockers and waving at passerbyers. Not very hard... No one is going to mess with you or tell you anything. but this all depends on your own attitude and body language.

Its amazing what you can learn from the locals if you are willing to listen to what they have to say. Locals love to share their stories and give tips. I learned how to get my chickens to stop fighting and start laying eggs from my neighbor, after I tried everything in the books... LOL..

Old 10-09-2008, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,568 times
Woodbury/Cannon County is a great place to live! Come on down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee