Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:09 AM

13,357 posts, read 39,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I agree with you in what you are speaking of in essence of change as far as hospital care, technology improvement etc. These are of course better for everyone, no matter what state we are speaking of.
But as far as what you are speaking of in zoning, I disagree with you. Being able to do what you want with your property, weather it is to put a mobile on it, or have goats and chickens or pigs or to build a Mcmansion and mow your lawn using a ruler to make sure every blade is the same hight. This should be your choice, not regulated. This is what the great people of TN do NOT want to change. They also don't want to see there great farm land bulldozed over with cement. Growth, yes, growth at the rate of a tornado coming through, no. Gated communities with homeowners associations and exorbitant property prices, no.

A note about the value of a home of two different qualities being on adjoining properties. If your house is valued at 180k having a mobile home put next door to that will NOT decrease the value of your home. It will still gain the typical equity growth year after year with proper maintenance. Homes are valued here in TN by comparable homes within 5 to 10 miles of your home. Square footage, age, amenities, etc. That mobile next door will not be used in any way to value your house. Will it make a difference if you are trying to sell that house? Maybe. Sure there will be folks that don't want that mobile next door to them, but there are just as many potential buyers that know how property values work here that it won't bother them at all and will be happy to pay the 180k if they like the house.
As a note, yes there are more "restricted" subdivisions going up with that restriction being that area of land can not be used for a mobile. But don't expect that outside of a planned sub division and those wanting 2-5 acres of land, won't find those restrictions. I guess you have to decide which is more important to you, land or what the house next door looks like.
That was beautifully written, mbmouse. And I agree with you 100%. I've never understood why some of the "McMansion type" of people have such an aversion to living next to a mobile home. There could be only two reasons: either they are obsessed with money and the value of their precious McMansion, or they think that people in mobile homes aren't worthy to live next door to a McMansion. And in either of those scenarios, people like that would be much happier moving somewhere else. I'd probably be happier if they moved somewhere else, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 11:11 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,323,340 times
Boris and MB:

Thanks for putting my sentiments into beautifully written statements. You are both great!

Old 02-02-2007, 11:29 AM

52 posts, read 287,017 times
Like I said, it's more a matter of finance, which all boils down to the ability to sell the house. I have a hard time believing it would not have an effect on the sale price of the home. The airport is a good example, if they build one next door to you I would be sure it's going to effect the price you would get if you sold that home.

The reverse is also true, if something "nice" is built next door it will help the selling price.

But, I am not an expert in real estate and I will find out more as I shop for a house in Cookeville. At this point, I really don't want a lot of land (unless it was a tract I used for hunting), the less work the better. I plan on spending more of my time golfing, fishing and hunting. The same is true about home size, I would rather have a modest home so I won't be living just to make house payments. Life is too short not enjoy the time you have.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:32 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,103,051 times
well if you just buy enough property so you won't have a neighbor for quite a distance, that will solve the trailer, big fancy house next door problem and i think the newer trailers are looking just as nice as homes nowadays though i plan on building a log home. I think people are talking about the run down, unkept yard type of trailers next to new homes but then again, it was probably there when you bought the property for your new home.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:08 PM

661 posts, read 2,898,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
well if you just buy enough property so you won't have a neighbor for quite a distance, that will solve the trailer, big fancy house next door problem and i think the newer trailers are looking just as nice as homes nowadays though i plan on building a log home. I think people are talking about the run down, unkept yard type of trailers next to new homes but then again, it was probably there when you bought the property for your new home.
And there's the crux of the whole matter. There are trailers and there are trailers.

While we were househunting I found THE house for me. It had about an acre and next door was a trailer. It wasn't the trailer itself that turned me off. It was the old bedframes and kitchen appliances that the kudzu had turned into art forms. And I was deeply disturbed by the pen of pitties in the backyard. So we moved on, but kept tabs on that particular house. The price went down a couple of times, until it finally got pulled from the market.

On the flip side, when my Dad moved to GA in his golden years, he put a trailer on a rented piece of land. His wife had a green thumb and the place looked wonderful. Cute as a button. I'd have no problem living next door to a place that's well kept - don't care if it's a teepee as long as it's taken care of.

In the end, we went the "more land" route so I don't have to look at anyone.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Jza

259 posts, read 379,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
Geez, I am from New Jersey and have posted on this board and people have been very kind. I want to move to Tennesee because it is beautiful and an easier paced life. I wish sometimes just because your from one state that we are not lumped into all same attitude of wanting to "change things".I feel when you move somewhere YOU adapt to their way.As far as making fun of southern peolpe, I am not one of those northerners.We are just looking to relax a little as we age...And found Tennesee a beautiful place to want to live and having been there found the people warm.
I'm with you Phyll. I don't want to bring NJ to TN either. I've changed much over the past 10 years. And altho hiknapster is expressing some frustration in this thread, he's been more than helpful and upbeat to me in other threads so his complaining or ranting certainly isn't unfounded in my eyes. I'm hoping to move to his area in Knoxville. Quality of life has trumped the importance of money and status on my list of important things. I have a live and let live attitude but to live in Jersey City sometimes you have turn into the hulk to get your point accross. I want to be Dr. Banner from now on and shelf the hulk for a while ya know?

Old 02-02-2007, 01:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,323,340 times
Thanks. I try to be upbeat and most certainly don't want to run nice people off. Far from it. It will be awfully nice to have friends like me (Yankee that hated Florida and LOVES Tennessee).

I would like to clarify that I am actually a woman. My name is Heidi.

Welcome to Tennessee!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:17 PM

243 posts, read 887,810 times
Talking Moving

I am moving to Tennessee from another state. I won't say where. My mothers family is from Nashville and Goodlettsville area. I want to move to the state because my husband and I discovered it about 3yrs. ago. We drove through that state and fell in love with it's beauty. Now we are good neighbors, we don't tell you what to do and we aren't nosey. But, we do not want people to pry into our lives either. I was brought up on country cooking and I still do some. I can't wait to get back there and fine a small little place that serves up biscuits and gravy or butter beans and cornbread. Now, my mother would turn over in her grave right now if she knew I was moving to Tennessee. Not to be offensive, but her being born in Tennessee made her a Hillbilly. She grew up in Cincinnati and never would admit that she was born in Tennessee. But, that was my mom, not me!!!!! I keep a clean house, cook great meals, and mind my own business. I don't think it matters where I am from. I want a slow life now and a small town atmosphere. I miss the morals people had in the 50's and the lifestyle of the same. Todays world is moving to fast and the kids have no respect, values and morals. Don't you think the babyboomer generation is just looking to get back to a time they once had and that Tennessee is the place to do it?

Old 02-02-2007, 03:49 PM

665 posts, read 1,927,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza View Post
I'm with you Phyll. I don't want to bring NJ to TN either. I've changed much over the past 10 years. And altho hiknapster is expressing some frustration in this thread, he's been more than helpful and upbeat to me in other threads so his complaining or ranting certainly isn't unfounded in my eyes. I'm hoping to move to his area in Knoxville. Quality of life has trumped the importance of money and status on my list of important things. I have a live and let live attitude but to live in Jersey City sometimes you have turn into the hulk to get your point accross. I want to be Dr. Banner from now on and shelf the hulk for a while ya know?
Yes very well I know.I know Jersey city , lived in Bergen county for many yrs , been down the shore for 7.I feel like here you have to be on you guard alot.and watch your back.I want an easier paced life.And to enjoy the beauty of TN .My look on life changed 9 yrs ago when I lost my 20 yr old son,I just too want too live and let live.I am tired of the rat race! I dont know if you have heard this before but here goes."JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOUR BEATING THE RAT RACE ALONG COMES FASTER RATS".I want to slow down and live....

Old 02-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Jza

259 posts, read 379,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Thanks. I try to be upbeat and most certainly don't want to run nice people off. Far from it. It will be awfully nice to have friends like me (Yankee that hated Florida and LOVES Tennessee).

I would like to clarify that I am actually a woman. My name is Heidi.

Welcome to Tennessee!
My apologies. Any info you have on TN, I want it! I'll be your friend if I ever get to Knoxville. I'm 31 years old and the woman is 27. She's super nice to people. She's probably the biggest reason I want to move. She's a country girl at heart, from rural Dominican Republic. Ya'll can do "girl things." Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee