Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:44 PM

51 posts, read 301,539 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite expressions is "Stop being ugly" or "He's just being ugly". Ugly meaning rude. I was also told to stop "cuttin' up" in class many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 07:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,423,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Ohhh, here's another...

Instead of saying, "You need to talk to John."
You say, "you need to get with John about that."

Oh, look how I did that! The rest of the country would say, "You HAVE to talk about that.

I threw in "need" automatically.

I'm changing and didn't even realize it!

I'm thinkin' it's a good thing!

Old 01-19-2007, 07:56 PM

630 posts, read 2,436,405 times
Default When Mama is upset

"Get your hiney shiney in here."

if she's really mad, she'll reverse it... "Get your shiney hiney in here."

Old 01-22-2007, 06:26 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,675,721 times
The little neighbor kids call me "Miss ____" and so do their mothers lol Bless their little hearts but aren't they sweet? LOL

Old 01-22-2007, 09:06 AM

8 posts, read 18,419 times
What about "yonder"? This is a location..."where is the remote control?" It's in yonder....
Everyone knows where it is it's amazing....
I just moved up from Florida my kids have always called neighbors (adults) Miss so-and-so and the men were always "Mr" Like "Mr Bob" it shows respect...

Old 01-22-2007, 09:53 AM

13,377 posts, read 40,115,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayhaymom View Post
What about "yonder"? This is a location..."where is the remote control?" It's in yonder....
Everyone knows where it is it's amazing....
I just moved up from Florida my kids have always called neighbors (adults) Miss so-and-so and the men were always "Mr" Like "Mr Bob" it shows respect...
The word "yonder" technically isn't slang. It's an Old English word that was brought to the US by English and Scottish settlers. For some reason, Northerners don't use it that much anymore, but they still use it in the South as well as in certain parts of England and Scotland, and the meaning today is the same as it was in the Middle Ages. The word "yonder" is also used in several scriptures in the King James version of the Old and New Testaments.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:51 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,424,989 times
I find that a lot of these terms were used by my grandparents as well, from rural upstate new york.

Maybe it's a rural thing that survived in the south, but just couldn't weather the harsh winters up north...

Old 01-22-2007, 02:53 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,423,357 times
Yes. Some of those saying are familiar to me, too. I guess it's because I come from a small town in New England. Makes sense.

I always found the saying, "when Hannah was a pup" to be cute, as in "I haven't seen him since Hannah was a pup."

I always wondered who is Hannah and her pup!

Anyone ever hear that one?

Old 01-22-2007, 06:31 PM

90 posts, read 382,384 times
How about "Uuu-ens" that means all of you. Uuu-en come on in here.
Another one is "I don't care to do that" this means they will do what you ask of them.
Where I am from in the South Carolina-South that would mean that you did NOT want to do what they ask
I have lived in TN for the past 13 years and I still can't grab those....That meaning that I can't get accustom to those sayings.
This is wonderful.....it take alot of the best people to make up this wonderful WORLD that we live in.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:36 PM

13,377 posts, read 40,115,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingtoPA View Post
How about "Uuu-ens" that means all of you. Uuu-en come on in here.
Another one is "I don't care to do that" this means they will do what you ask of them.
Where I am from in the South Carolina-South that would mean that you did NOT want to do what they ask
I have lived in TN for the past 13 years and I still can't grab those....That meaning that I can't get accustom to those sayings.
This is wonderful.....it take alot of the best people to make up this wonderful WORLD that we live in.
My Yankee cousins in Pennsylvania all say "uuu-ens" which I think is pretty interesting.

But yeah, the first time I heard someone say, "Don't care if I do" I thought he was saying no. No matter how many times I hear it, I still think it means no.

And you're right, all these colloquial expressions are wonderful and sure make our world more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee