Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2023, 08:21 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

Starting to try and learn more about the area north of Cookeville/Crossville to the KY line.

Tell me about the Jamestown area (including byrdstown, allardt, Livingston)?

It looks to still be a part of the Cumberland plateau.
Is this considered middle TN, or east TN? Is there any cultural or social difference from say this region to Knoxville area or tri city area?

What is the typical elevation in this area, are we looking at mostly 1500-2000 feet? Ideally I am looking for a little elevation to take the edge off in summer compared to the valleys and lower areas.

What is life like there?
Is there area welcoming of new comers or would it be very challenging to be accepted? (We're not looking to change anything)

Ideally we are looking for a good quiet very low crime area to live where things are slower and maybe have a little land and some chickens etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 11:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
It is middle TN. The eastern part of Pickett Co is on the plateau, the western part, the highland rim. You can google this area for information on elevation, etc.

I live in Cumberland Co, closer to Monterey and honestly it has been a minute since I spent time in these towns/areas although they were once all counties where my employment had offices and I have had friends in these areas. I would not say there are cultural differences from the region to Knoxville. Most small towns generally share the same culture. There are differences however between small town and cities.
These are all rural areas typical of rural areas with Allardt being the most rural, Byrdstown, Jamestown then Livingston, IMO. As in most small towns there is little job opportunity and limited amenities and entertainment. Religion, sports and community are strong.
Things definitely move slower. There is crime, mostly drugs and drug related. You can get a better picture if you browse the local paper and/or community FB pages. Having said that, I feel safe being out alone, I do not even lock my doors (house) and dont even know where the key is. But I do have a firearm or two if I need to protect myself from man or beast. Twenty years ago I would not even think to lock my car.

This general area has seen a lot of transplants over the years and has changed a lot over the years as well, IMO. Welcoming, well that depends on you but most people I have spoken to or listened to would say overall people are welcoming and friendly.

There is definitely room for a little land and some chickens.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:41 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,536 times
Jamestown is quite remote. There are some nice properties there ($1M+), often for equestrians who enjoy riding in Big South Fork National Recreation area. This is also a county with a lot of poverty. Addiction is also a problem. Jobs are not plentiful without a lot of driving.

FYI, this area does tend to get a bit more ice in winter and be at a bit more risk for strong storms than some areas farther east/east-southeast.

Old 10-16-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedmont View Post
Jamestown is quite remote. There are some nice properties there ($1M+), often for equestrians who enjoy riding in Big South Fork National Recreation area. This is also a county with a lot of poverty. Addiction is also a problem. Jobs are not plentiful without a lot of driving.

FYI, this area does tend to get a bit more ice in winter and be at a bit more risk for strong storms than some areas farther east/east-southeast.
You will find this in most small, rural towns. And I'm sure in several area within Urban areas.

Old 10-16-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedmont View Post

Where on the plateau can I find a rural/exurb small town feel that is affordable, a good safe place for families and not experiencing high levels of drug addiction and petty crime?

I'm not scared of the ice, actually it's one of the reasons I'm interested in the plateau I want 4 real seasons.

Old 10-16-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You will find this in most small, rural towns. And I'm sure in several area within Urban areas.
Definitely see it in urban areas.

Old 10-17-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Where on the plateau can I find a rural/exurb small town feel that is affordable, a good safe place for families and not experiencing high levels of drug addiction and petty crime?

I'm not scared of the ice, actually it's one of the reasons I'm interested in the plateau I want 4 real seasons.
There are plenty affordable properties, well depending on your definition of affordable, definitely less than 1 million$.
All places have problems with drugs. Drug related crimes/shoplifitn are the the most common crimes around here. That does not mean the area is drug infested or high crime.

As I mentioned check out the local papers to get a better feel of crime and community. Not sure if Jamestown has a paper but there is the Crossville Chronicle and Crossville news first https://crossvillenews1st.com/. Here is Jamestown FB page: https://www.facebook.com/1039wdeb/ another: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2641068136183359/
You can search for more and check out home listings.
We do have 4 seasons. Sometimes in the same month.

Old 10-19-2023, 07:13 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
As stated above, Jamestown is really out of the way, if you're looking for that you'll like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee